What's new

Pakistan not responsible for failure in Afghanistan: McCain

I really do not understand the mind-set of the People of Afghanistan. From last several decades (even before 1950) Afghanistan was very unstable, economically weak country, poorest infrastructure, no defense , no university , poor health care facility, living in caves, Tribes were busy fighting each other like today. When Russian came in 80's, it was revealed that they cannot defend themselves. Millions of Afghani Rushed to Pakistan (Country whose independence opposed by Afghanistan) for Aid. WHY? USA provided the weapon through Pakistan. Anyone have better plan than this? Pakistan should have closed it's borders and let millions of Afghani die? This is what Afghani people want? If people of Afghanistan were any Talented, they must have shown their strength even before Russian Arrival. Charlie Wilson. Russian Left, tribes start fighting each other again. Millions of Afghani were welcomed in Pakistan Like families. Living Peacefully, doing business, including the Karzai (domestic enemy). Two Afghani cannot sit together to resolve their own dispute, but sure they will sit together to blame Pakistan. Blaming Pakistan for the failures of Afghanistan is not going to work. Stop acting like Afghanistan was like Japan, USA and Germany before this war, it was a ruined land like today. People of Afghanistan need to take matter in their own hand. Their future is with other Afghani Nationals only, as no one is going to resolve their internal disputes.

I can easily bet , Afghani didn't prosper their country in the Last Century and they will not do it in the next century . They like to fight each other and blame others , but message to flourish their country , seems to them other planet talks.

Sir it is a porous border. If we were able to stop those Afghan Taliban from entering Pakistan wont we have done so with the TTP bastards who are literally killing our children? Or are you or any one suggesting that TTP too is some hoax of ISI? I know you are not. TTP and its support in Afghan areas is a know fact. The problem here is that the border terrain is such that it is nearly impossible to container cross border movements. Thus the calls of fencing the border.

You know that i wont deny our own follies but the India connection in there and cant be ignored. It was there since the time of Afghan Civil war and Indian closeness to Norther Alliance. The major part of the problem in Afghanistan still remains the difference between northern alliance supporters and Taliban sympathizers. Something people usually ignore when they set out to blame Pakistan and ISI for everything wrong with Afghanistan.

And yes, you are right about the loyal Pakistani thing, people usually tend to ignore the facts and harsh realities specially if they implicit them or there country in some wrong doing. It is the same for everyone. Thank you for keeping an open mind, a broad view and sharing your thoughts with us. :tup:

Thanks for explaining the presence of Afghan Taliban in our lands for me. :)
I know you can look at the broader picture and see that this argument works both ways.

This is just as "proven" as TTP leaders hiding in Afghanistan and TTP getting training there. Lets talk about real things and not speculations.

Kudos to you for keeping your responses civil and respectful, even we both seem to disagree on certain argumentation.

Ok on topic, what kind of solution do you have stopping this bad blood between us? For me it is very simple, this cycle will only stop when both AF-PAK address each other's genuine grievances and to verify all these steps via a neutral body such as Turkey.

Make sense ?

Let me respond to your rant, with a quote from your profile signature

"When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." - Socrates

You can't respond because you don't have an answer, you sit their smugly pointing fingers at Pakistan while your own regime claims KPK province as part of Aghanistan, is working with India to acquire more weapons and when we build gate and fences to better regulate cross border terrorism you start in-discriminate firing because in your own imaginary world durand line is a disputed territory and then you expect us to take you seriously and not a threat to our own existence.

What is the solution for a putting a stop to this bad blood? I offered you one.

The solution would be to sit and talk with related stake holders. No outside mediation or interference must be accepted, neither that of the US or India.

Afghanistan tells us what it wants and needs from us and we tell them what we want and need from them and to build the relations from there on.

Sir it is a porous border. If we were able to stop those Afghan Taliban from entering Pakistan wont we have done so with the TTP bastards who are literally killing our children? Or are you or any one suggesting that TTP too is some hoax of ISI? I know you are not. TTP and its support in Afghan areas is a know fact. The problem here is that the border terrain is such that it is nearly impossible to container cross border movements. Thus the calls of fencing the border.

It is precisely that, dear Arsalan, a porous border which CANNOT be made impenetrable. Those who are suggesting it are people who haven't even looked at natural conditions on these borders. The idea is laughable. Pakistan would, as you have pointed out, moved heaven and earth to keep out terrorists.

Fencing the border IS NOT POSSIBLE.

I can only suggest, with a sense of frustration and helplessness, a layered defence, heavily dependent on remote sensing mechanisms, both static and mobile (drones included), mines at some choke-points (I say this knowing it is politically incorrect, and believing that allowing kids and schools to be at risk is even more incorrect), very small, very mobile patrols sweeping at random intervals, fixed camps at the points where mountain passes debouch on to pathways and small roads, and an intensive road-building programme.

This sounds unreal, but if somebody has a better idea, I'd love to hear about it.

You know that i wont deny our own follies but the India connection in there and cant be ignored. It was there since the time of Afghan Civil war and Indian closeness to Norther Alliance. The major part of the problem in Afghanistan still remains the difference between northern alliance supporters and Taliban sympathizers. Something people usually ignore when they set out to blame Pakistan and ISI for everything wrong with Afghanistan.

We are on the same page as far as the difficulties arising out of ethnic differences (showing up as differences between the Northern Alliance and the former Mujahedin, later to regroup themselves under different leadership as Taliban). However, I urge you and every other REASONABLE Pakistani analyst to keep in mind that the Indian intelligence services are of an entirely different kind and composition, and outlook, even, than your own.

Most of the time Pakistanis tend to take the known capability of their own intelligence services, and their activities, and extrapolate them onto Indian parallels - which really don't exist.

Please note that I am not denying the existence of a desire to act in a certain way, among Indian decision makers. I am doubting their capability.

[[I will continue on this in a few minutes after a medicine-administration break. Please bear with me.]]

And yes, you are right about the loyal Pakistani thing, people usually tend to ignore the facts and harsh realities specially if they implicit them or there country in some wrong doing. It is the same for everyone. Thank you for keeping an open mind, a broad view and sharing your thoughts with us. :tup:

Here I would like to clarify something: my intention was to point out that India simply does not have that nuanced, measured and phlegmatic approach towards either Pakistan or Afghanistan or the confluence of the two policies that some Pakistanis imagine. My remark was half-amused, half-frustrated; do you really think we are such terrifying figures out of some dark, oriental Fu Manchu kind of conspiracy?

Thanks for explaining the presence of Afghan Taliban in our lands for me. :)
I know you can look at the broader picture and see that this argument works both ways.

LOL.

C'mon, champ, I know you know what I'm saying, and of course it cuts both ways.

This is just as "proven" as TTP leaders hiding in Afghanistan and TTP getting training there. Lets talk about real things and not speculations.

OK, all this emanates primarily from the ground reality that people cannot vanish. But to an additional extent, the dozens of interviewers and correspondents who have met the Taliban leadership within Pakistan is a convincing counter-argument to an Indian not determined to maintain a judicial weighment of all information and evidence. You are right, even Homer nods, even the most well-intentioned of us has a moment or two of disillusionment.

Perhaps our individual circumstances at a given point of time might have something to do with it. At this moment, to see anything generous and open-hearted in the situation is difficult. When Alexander ordered the execution of his father's general, Parmenion, the executioner said to the unsuspecting general,"The whole earth smells of corruption."

Last edited:
The solution would be to sit and talk with related stake holders. No outside mediation or interference must be accepted, neither that of the US or India.

Afghanistan tells us what it wants and needs from us and we tell them what we want and need from them and to build the relations from there on.

There you go, we have a start. Agreed!

How about verification of the steps agreed between each other ? Verification from a neutral body " Turkey" ?

On the one hand my Pakistani friends maintain that ISI is the world premier spy agency, and here you are telling me that they had no clue about this dude making trips with Pakistani passport ?

Anyways you and I both know that we are running in circles, you will raise one argument then I will raise a counter argument until the judgement day, the core issue here is peace between Pakistan and Afghanistan, Talis, Haqqanis, TTP are just bunch of proxies.

Peace will only come if both countries make peace and address each other's genuine grievances.
If you are worried about Indian influence to create instability in Pakistan via Afghans then Afghans are ready for a third party verification and we will address your concerns, we are not stupid enough to part of the greater India Pakistan rivalry.

But as @pakistani342 maintains that Pakistan will only make peace if Afghanistan hands over Defence and Foreign policy decision making to GHQ, then that my friend is a pipe dream.

/Peace

At the end of the day, the fact is that Pakistan is getting stable with every passing day Alhamdulillah while Afghanistan is descending in chaos. You folks need to look inside your own collars for the reasons.

Blaming Pakistan for all your problems will not help.

At the end of the day, the fact is that Pakistan is getting stable with every passing day Alhamdulillah while Afghanistan is descending in chaos. You folks need to look inside your own collars for the reasons.

Blaming Pakistan for all your problems will not help.

You can't have stability in Pak unless your neighbourhood especially AF is stable and peaceful, there are some lessons for you as to what happened unfortunately in Turkey the other day.

If Syria burns, the heat has definitely reached Turkey, suicide bombings were unheard off in Turkey a couple years ago.

Such discussions have happened many times in the past, when we tell them what we want the delegations or Afghan general present at the time agree to what we are saying but when they go back to Kabul they still act on the opposite, clearly meaning that there is an outside influence in Afghanistan.

Such a solution can only work if there is a legitimate, mature government in Afghanistan not a puppet regime that changes color two days later

You can't have stability in Pak unless your neighbourhood especially AF is stable and peaceful, there are some lessons for you as to what happened unfortunately in Turkey the other day.

If Syria burns, the heat has definitely reached Turkey, suicide bombings were unheard off in Turkey a couple years ago.

Unfortunately and I wish I am wrong, Afghanistan cannot be stable and peaceful in this decade. Too many factions and warlords are fighting for power.

We have to look for ourselves and find a way to keep the mess away from our borders.

ISI may very well be extremely good but they are not GOD!

However, where was Mullah Omer or Mansoor every declared terrorists by the US? And was it not the demand of Afghanistan for Pakistan to bring Talibaan to negotiations? What happened when we did? There are elements within your Government which do not want to see peace with Pakistan and will just about anything to ruin any chance of peace.

US and India are on the exact same page as well.

Now apply the formula to R&W, who aren't even good.

And it is strange to hear that the US and we are on the same page, when the US supports Pakistan through thick and thin. We don't, not in the matter of sheltering the Taliban.

Now apply the formula to R&W, who aren't even good.

And it is strange to hear that the US and we are on the same page, when the US supports Pakistan through thick and thin. We don't, not in the matter of sheltering the Taliban.

There was a time when the US would have aided Pakistan against India in a heartbeat. That is not the case for the past decade or so. Ever since the emergence of an imposing China, US has been looking for a proxy, a check and India is the best candidate. Lately, the interests of US and India have aligned significantly.

We have weak systems, even you can get a Pakistani passport if you the right amount of cash. Cannot blame us for that, can ya?

Ironically, the US could just as easily have targeted him in Iran or Afghanistan. What was the particular reason of targeting him in Pakistan........that is if he was targeted by the US at all!

It is the asymmetry of Pakistani opinions that is frustrating.

Somebody you are supposed to be harbouring turns up with a Pakistani passport, and that is not proof of your harbouring him, just another clue about the weakness of Pakistani administration.

Somebody India is supposed to be harbouring turns up with an Indian passport, and that IS proof of India harbouring him. Nothing to do with weak systems, nothing to do with the huge population being served, it's clear-cut proof of the combined malevolence and brilliant efficiency of R&W.

<sigh>

There was a time when the US would have aided Pakistan against India in a heartbeat. That is not the case for the past decade or so. Ever since the emergence of an imposing China, US has been looking for a proxy, a check and India is the best candidate. Lately, the interests of US and India have aligned significantly.

Let us take it from your fair but incomplete summation. Have you paused to inspect the yawning gaps, the differences?

It is the asymmetry of Pakistani opinions that is frustrating.

Somebody you are supposed to be harbouring turns up with a Pakistani passport, and that is not proof of your harbouring him, just another clue about the weakness of Pakistani administration.

Somebody India is supposed to be harbouring turns up with an Indian passport, and that IS proof of India harbouring him. Nothing to do with weak systems, nothing to do with the huge population being served, it's clear-cut proof of the combined malevolence and brilliant efficiency of R&W.

<sigh>

Let us take it from your fair but incomplete summation. Have you paused to inspect the yawning gaps, the differences?

Can we agree that India has a much better and established civil infrastructure compared to Pakistan? There is a general failure of everything in Pakistan, corruption is rampant and it is easy to do things which would be extremely difficult to do in India.

One of those days when Mc Cain is not wearing his Indian hat.

His WHAT?

Can we agree that India has a much better and established civil infrastructure compared to Pakistan? There is a general failure of everything in Pakistan, corruption is rampant and it is easy to do things which would be extremely difficult to do in India.

Now THAT is below the belt. :guns:

Very shrewdly argued, but a very low blow.

The night you guys stop sleeping with India a lot of things get more better, now choice is your keep sleeping with them and continuously have nightmares or cut the crap of old minus plus and let have a good sleep to shake hand with Pakistan. Oh just to clear another thing GHQ more concern about India not you guys.

GHQ needs to detoxify its collective 'brain'. That is the most polite expression I can find for the situation described by you.

Back
Top Bottom