What's new

pakistan new AIR DEFENCE SYSTEM procurement

I hope it is about more HQ16 and not HQ9.
We need to complete what we have started before moving to the next step, that makes much more sense then procuring three four batteries of different missile systems. HQ16 is an excellent choice for the medium tire air defense system and we do not have any where near enough number of this. We need to procure more HQ16, make a good medium tire air defense system and then more to longer range is possible to form another blanket of land based air defense system. That will be much more TRUST WORTHY and reliable setup rather then inducting a couple of batteries of different missile systems.

Regarding the LY80 procurement, here is the report that have been circulating around for over a year now:

View attachment 305068 This indicates the number of LY80 procured as 3. Now we know that this is three batteries. The next thing was the confusion about the "batteries" The number of radars procured indicates that there are about three to four launch vehicle per battery. Originally a single radar/command and control vehicle can control four launch vehicles to form one air defense battery. However given our resources, it seems likely that we not put them all in one position rather the systems is scattered over a wider areas with the radars controlling lesser number of launch vehicles and deployed in a wider area. For example, a radar controlling one or two launch vehicle means these 8 radars can be deployed with missiles at 8 different points rather then 3 radars each controlling 4 vehicles and deployed at three different points. I am not sure what else could be the role of these 8 radars if we are to operate only three batteries of LY80/ What are the other 5 radars for?
We may never know for sure what it is but i would say that it is safe to assume that we do have 12 to 14 launch vehicles.

Sir point to be noted here that this thing was coming under DEVELOPMENT package ... agreement signed before June 2014

Sir point to be noted here that this thing was coming under DEVELOPMENT package ... agreement signed before June 2014
Yeah, it is a couple of years old news now.
Your stress on "development" make me feel that you are thinking it was a further development of something already present? i don't think so but then again, we never can be sure. I guess its better that way. :P

What i was more interested in was why we were buying 8 radars with 3 LY80 batteries. The only explanation/reason i could think of was what i mentioned in the post. Each battery have 4 to 5 launch vehicles and we have reduced that number to deeply lesser launch vehicles across a wider area all using different radars therefore.

Anyway, it is most likely that we will never know for sure.
:)

How many hq-9s we have???
Do china has any sam equivalent of US THAAD???
Study about HQ-19. It is based on HQ-9 SAM and is the Chinese equivalent of US THAAD. Use a similar KKV

Our best bets to get Air Defence systems are Russia and China and Italy and South Africa and Turkey. We need to keep increasing number of Air Defence systems and deploy them on every border and around cities.

Your stress on "development" make me feel that you are thinking it was a further development of something already present? i don't think so but then again, we never can be sure. I guess its better that way. :P

What i was more interested in was why we were buying 8 radars with 3 LY80 batteries. The only explanation/reason i could think of was what i mentioned in the post. Each battery have 4 to 5 launch vehicles and we have reduced that number to deeply lesser launch vehicles across a wider area all using different radars therefore.

:)

Study about HQ-19. It is based on HQ-9 SAM and is the Chinese equivalent of US THAAD. Use a similar KKV
So we should directly go for hq-19 instead of less capable systems
It will also help to counter indian missile threat
Btw can you share specifications of both systems???

In terms of SAMs its pretty safe to assume Pakistan is fielding units which are not revealed to the public. It was only through the 23rd March parade that we found out FM-90 is inducted and in operation. Might irritate the fanboys but secrecy or keeping a tight lid on information is a very smart move by Pakistani's military planners. Only information is revealed at final moments or if absolutely need to reveal.

PARADE-6.jpg

You do know there is something called SIGINT/ELINT in which India is extremely proficient and as soon as these SAMS are turned on, their aerial plus ground assets could pickup the SAM signals ? If military planners still have a 80's mentality than all I can say is they need refersher courses in 21st centruy technologies and also on EMCON and EMSEC

You do know there is something called SIGINT/ELINT in which India is extremely proficient and as soon as these SAMS are turned on, their aerial plus ground assets could pickup the SAM signals ? If military planners still have a 80's mentality than all I can say is they need refersher courses in 21st centruy technologies and also on EMCON and EMSEC

Keeping new systems low key and electronic emissions analysis are both separate things.

Pakistan also has heavy air and ground SIGINT/ELINT capability, works both ways.

Keeping new systems low key and electronic emissions analysis are both separate things.

Pakistan also has heavy air and ground SIGINT/ELINT capability, works both ways.

What's the point of keeping low key when both know what both have ?

my understanding (which may be wrong) we are getting this system under Licence production agreement

CPMIEC Produce HQ series like HQ7 (FM90) .. HQ9 (long range) .. HQ 16 (which is already been procured)

I think article is about HQ16 (LY80)
HQ-16 is not product of CASIC

By the way, I remember about one year ago, there were rumors said that Pakistan was negotiating with China for FK-3 on this forum.

Last edited:
But that doesn't mean you shouldnt try and conceal your asset acquisitions and numbers.

Who told to reveal acquisitions and numbers ? The point is They are buying these from tax payer money not from their own pockets and when they conceal things, we all know what kind of corruption and kickbacks or 2012 type incidents they are trying to hide.

Who told to reveal acquisitions and numbers ? The point is They are buying these from tax payer money not from their own pockets and when they conceal things, we all know what kind of corruption and kickbacks or 2012 type incidents they are trying to hide.

National security superceads it all. They have internal procedures and buying from own budget. Purchases will show to internal audit, but dont need to advertise to public. Besides I think Pakistani planners have learned to keep quiet about purchases until needed or till last moment, because India will always make a big deal and over hype their reaction.

Back
Top Bottom