What's new

Featured Pakistan Navy Type 054AP Frigates - Update, News & Discussion

Finally a proper WARSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For a couple of months, until Babur class enters service, yes.

I believe it can have as many as 12 in 4x4 configuration? Or am I confusing it with a larger vessel.
Normal practice for anti-ship missile load for global navies, from West to East, are
8 missiles for frigates
16 missiles for destroyers.

There are exceptions though, like the 28,000 ton Russian Kirov cruiser's 20 anti-ship missiles. US Navy Ticonderoga cruiser on the other hand only has 8 harpoon anti-ship missiles.

For destroyers and frigate, 12 missiles load configuration is very rare, in fact I can't think of any navy is equiping their major warships with 12 anti-ship missiles. Or you meant 16 as in 4X4, which is normal load for destroyers.

Last edited:
In a historic event held in Shanghai;
Pakistan Navy commissioned PNS TUGHRIL (Type 054 CLASS A/P) FRIGATE.
It is indeed technologically advanced platform with multi-mission capability.

1636391832214.png

1636391856121.png

Normal practice for anti-ship missile load for global navies, from West to East, are
8 missiles for frigates

There are exceptions though, like the 28,000 ton Russian Kirov cruiser's 20 anti-ship missiles. US Navy Ticonderoga cruiser on the other hand only has 8 harpoon anti-ship missiles.

For destroyers and frigate, 12 missiles load configuration is very rare, in fact I can't think of any navy is equiping their major warships with 12 anti-ship missiles. Or you meant 16 as in 4X4, which is normal load for destroyers.

I think Taiwan Navy uses a 600 tonage corvette with upto 12 launchers with 3x4 configuration. Tuo Chian Class if i remember name correctly.

Last edited:
I think Taiwan Navy uses a 600 tonage corvette with upto 12 launchers with 3x4 configuration. Tuo Chian Class if i remember name correctly.
You are right, Tuo Chiang class has 8X Hsiung Feng II and 4X Hsiung Feng III anti-ship missiles. This is an one-off odd configuration of having 8 shorter range plus 4 longer range missiles.

8 missiles for frigates

Current practice says load up with as many missiles of various types as possible. Tico-class carries 8 Harpoons, yes, but look inside her VLS silos. Tons of Tomahawks. Also other FFGs and DDGs worldwide are similarly fitted out. Don't know where this 8, 12 and 16 configuration comes from.

Babur is much smaller and not as advanced nor as capable as Type 054AP.
It’s smaller because it’s more modern and better designed, it also has better radars and VLS/SAM systems. It is also much more expensive. It’s definitely a lot more capable than a Type 054AP. Not because 054 is bad, but only because it’s a little dated and it’s meant to be a cheaper, mass production model and not a top of the line frigate, China has its destroyers for that.
As always, you know nothing about the subject at hand, yet continue to comment and make yourself look like a fool.

It’s smaller because it’s more modern and better designed, it also has better radars and VLS/SAM systems. It is also much more expensive. It’s definitely a lot more capable than a Type 054AP. Not because 054 is bad, but only because it’s a little dated and it’s meant to be a cheaper, mass production model and not a top of the line frigate, China has its destroyers for that.
As always, you know nothing about the subject at hand, yet continue to comment and make yourself look like a fool.
I don't think so.. tonnage of Babur seems too light to be an all rounder. Not much space left for VLS and anti sub torpedo are lacking.

The VLS of Type 054A are quite advance. It can fit HQ-16 SAM or anti sub VLS rocket torpedo. Making it true multi purpose VLS.

I don't think so.. tonnage of Babur seems too light to be an all rounder. Not much space left for VLS and anti sub torpedo are lacking.

The VLS of Type 054A are quite advance. It can fit HQ-16 SAM or anti sub VLS rocket torpedo. Making it true multi purpose VLS.

The VLS type is irrelevant, the Babur has a more advanced missile and sensor loadout, full stop. The CAMM-ER is a fraction of the size and weight of the HQ-16 while offering superior performance. Infact, even baseline CAMM has been seen to get hits at 60km, though, with heavily degraded pK of course.
Can someone knowledgeable explain why PN opted for a second radar that clearly looks like very old tech?

Long range air search, can be used to cue your main array, im not sure whether the SR2410C has the ability to stop and stare, however, when doing so, typically, you can focus more EM power and increase your detection range, is probably the simplest form of putting it. Theres multiple examples of radars which do this, for example, the E-2D's radar. Though, i also think its because china doesnt have a naval long range radar capable of being fitted to the 054a at the moment.

The VLS type is irrelevant, the Babur has a more advanced missile and sensor loadout, full stop. The CAMM-ER is a fraction of the size and weight of the HQ-16 while offering superior performance. Infact, even baseline CAMM has been seen to get hits at 60km, though, with heavily degraded pK of course.

Not sure how superior CAMM-ER is when it can only fit SAM.. Can it be fitted with anti sub torpedo?

Not sure how superior CAMM-ER is when it can only fit SAM.. Can it be fitted with anti sub torpedo?

unfortunately no, we cannot fit ASROC onto a SAM...

If the PN needed ASROC on the Babur class, they would have included it. But yes, the Babur class does carry torpedos.

unfortunately no, we cannot fit ASROC onto a SAM...

If the PN needed ASROC on the Babur class, they would have included it. But yes, the Babur class does carry torpedos.
Sorry, it cant. Babur is too small for further add on unless it wants go sacrifice the SAM.

However, its engine, gun, radars, missiles are imported from Europe and therefore vulnerable to Western sanction.

Would have been cool if all 4 ships arrived together in formation to Pakistan :coffee:
Instead of 1 at time

Back
Top Bottom