What's new

Featured Pakistan Navy Type 054AP Frigates - Update, News & Discussion

Primary role of ASW will be perform by F-22P or Miligem in future, Type-54A will have ASW as secondary role.
I think you should know that Type 054A is the best in ASW in PLAN.

It can't go with it like: Pakistan buys western systems because PN/PA/PAF have high standard and criteria, and buys Chinese weapon because Pakistan can't afford the west one or string attached. Pakistan just bought 30 T129 with 1.5 billions! It's double standard.

China is not only vendor to Pakistan, we had helped Pakistan to build up assembly line and industrial base for building JF17. What you get in the last 50 years with USA? Did they give you any ability to produce fighter jests on your own? Or just simply buying off the shelves. If you can't tell who is real friend and who is taking advantage of you, then I have nothing more to say.

Wang, this isn't about friendship, this is about real questionable decisions PN has taken in platform procurement (F22P, OHP frigate(s), haphazard missile boat/corvettes, etc). They're too afraid of calling out the armed forces so they ramble on about China 30 years ago. Fact remains China provides what Pakistan says it needs. The problem is what Pakistan conveys to China and what it can afford.

I think you should know that Type 054A is the best in ASW in PLAN.

But it will have primary role of AAW although PN will use its multi mission capabilities where needed, Miligem may be most lethal ASW platform of PN as that is its primary role, it also have better stealth design.

This is a policy of every country, and China maybe no exception. The best of the designs are for PLA only. Indeed China has progressed but the cutting edge will never be for export. For the export market, Pakistan being the centroid, there is the export version. Due to the immense technological gap of 1990's since us lagging behind, all input is valuable.

Not disagreeing. But no one's expecting J20s or Type 055s right now. Chinese shipbuilders have had multiple iterations of slightly more advanced designs than the Type 054a available for export for quite some time. It's easy to say that Pak WILL incorporate new weapons and subsystems once they can afford it but fanboys here have been hoping for modern sam/vls sam on the f22p since before they were inducted. When PN could've just ordered a more flexible ship design in the first place that could've incorporated upgrades at a later date instead of ordering a glorified patrol boat and having to order newer ships on top of said glorified patrol boat. The tech horizon for Pak's decision makers is extremely short-sided.

Last edited:
But it will have primary role of AAW although PN will use its multi mission capabilities where needed, Miligem may be most lethal ASW platform of PN as that is its primary role, it also have better stealth design.
What a pity. Type 054A is a multipurpose frigate, and its primary role is for ASW.

What a pity. Type 054A is a multipurpose frigate, and its primary role is for ASW.

This is what will hunt submarines in Pakistani EEZ or may be beyond with other assets, allowing Type-54As to take other important role, ships role varies navy to navy.

This is what will hunt submarines in Pakistani EEZ or may be beyond with other assets, allowing Type-54As to take other important role, ships role varies navy to navy.

IMO, PN should buy 054B with PLAN.
The decision of PN makes me confused.

After all, Type 054A has served in PLAN for 10 years.

PN may want to have mature system with economical price as in 10 years a system matures and due to continuous production cost become lower then newer UN matured system.

PN may want to have mature system with economical price as in 10 years a system matures and due to continuous production cost become lower then newer UN matured system.
Cause type 54 is very matured As the backbone of the PLAN right now, I say a good decision by PN to go for it. Zero risk and plug&play.

Indian P15b destroyer only has Barak8 with 70KM range, same with LY80N. So Pakistan is on par with IN now. While P15b has much larger displacement than type 54A.

PAF is strongly against the deal as Yankee has mentioned, while type 054B would be much more expensive and receive more objection. So there could be a balance of different opinion for Pakistan.

In the future, the HQ16 series will further increase its range by improving its solid motor. Both PLA/PLaN and Pakistan navy/Army induct same type of SAM, that's a good economy of sacle.

PAF is strongly against the deal as Yankee has mentioned, while type 054B would be much more expensive and receive more objection. So there could be a balance of different opinion for Pakistan.
You mean the funds allocated for 4 type 54 is coming from PAF?

Why PN doesn't order a customized Ada that fit Chinese VLS on it? Maybe China won't allow a NATO member to have a close look at the VLS system. But Ada class is very good for coastal patrol.

Last edited:
Wang .
I am proverbially of that age where one of my feet is in the grave so can only grow sideways not upwards. People in the armed forces have contacts and sources the likes of which are not present in the non military world. Him demeaning or appreciating Chinese weapons is irrelevant. He expresses an opinion if you think things are different bring your evidence forward. The lack of QC problems in Chinese hardware are well known, from initial vibration and radio issues in JFT, to flme outs of the WS10 on the J10 to serious health and safety issues on the F22P to name a few. Your industry till a few years ago did not even have a parts cataloguing system. So dont act like you are the best in the world yet. Sure Chinese weapons quality is improving leaps and bounds but still some way to go to meet western standards.
A
No Wang.
You are not a No one from China and You have been called out before as well.
I dont have anything against the Chinese arms industry and have a lot of admiration for its progress. However it has yet to do more to improve itself. This is what @Bilal Khan 777 says and when people do chest thumping he merely points out facts. Agree to disagree and let us move on. Enough bandwidth has been wasted on bickering which should never have been started. Let people have diverse opinions and respect that.
Regards
To be honest, for many Chinese guys in this forum, they are just military enthusiasts, most of people in china are too buzy to take time to explain you the details
If china acts like your so called iron brothers to do military business with India, maybe india can help change your ideas
As your friend, we wish you select the system you like from EU,USA,Russia,China,whichever country you want
Once you made the choice,learn to keep your dignity to show some respect to your partner

Last edited:
To be honest, for many Chinese guys in this forum, they are just military enthusiasts, most of people in china are too buzy to take time to explain you the details
If china acts like your so called iron brothers to do military business with India, maybe india can help change your ideas
As your friend, we wish you select the system you like from EU,USA,Russia,China,whichever country you want
Once you made the choice,learn to show some respect to your partner
PDF is a window and a bridge for China and Pakistan military fans, but we need more person to person communication in real life. I never have a chance to talk with a Pakistani in real life until now. I think Chinese goverment shall invite more Pakistanis to China, and organize college students to visit Islamabad.

When people met each other, they will exchange thought and ideas.

When they understand each other, they will try to think in each other's shoes.

Both goverment shall materialize the concept of Iron brother for Chinese and Pakistanis. The exchange on civilian level is not enough at all, need to be addressed ASAP.

Not about invitations show kindness and acknowledgment, if they want to know, they can travel to china or get information on line

People will never cherish the food brought to their mouth

Last edited:

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom