What's new

Featured Pakistan Navy Type 054AP Frigates - Update, News & Discussion

1640371351382.png

1640371371122.png

The Launching ceremony of 4th ship of Type-054 A/P Class Frigate constructed for Pakistan Navy was held at Hudong Zhonghua (HZ) Shipyard, Shanghai, China.

Out of four state of the art frigates, the first Type-054 A/P ship namely PNS TUGHRIL has been commissioned and reached Pakistan. Type-054 A/P Frigates will be one of the most technologically advanced surface platforms of Pakistan Navy Fleet, fitted with latest surface, subsurface, anti-air weapon systems, Combat Management System and Sensors.

The induction of these ships will enhance Pakistan Navy Fleet’s war fighting capabilities, contribute in maintaining peace, stability and power equilibrium in the Indian Ocean Region.

While addressing at the Launching ceremony, Chief Naval Overseer Commodore Rashid Mehmood Sheikh lauded the support by PLA (Navy), China Shipbuilding Trading Company (CSTC) and HZ Shipyard for timely completion of this important milestone project despite COVID-19 pandemic. The ceremony was attended by senior officials of PLA (Navy), CSTC and HZ Shipyard.

Successful launching of 4th Ship of the series is a testimony of deep rooted defence and diplomatic Sino-Pak relations.

1640373624762.png

Four in total and option for two more 054AP's is part of the contract. Multiple references in this thread.
The TyPE 52D is my wish.
We would have essentially doubled our fleet in the next 3 years. With the rest of the Milgems coming on line by 2028 the fleet size will have increwased further. We want to build Jinnah class frigates and I am hoping the first one may come in early to mid 30s
My question is do we really need additional assets when we are buildijg infrastructure for local manufacturing. There is the issue of manpower which will need training and getting used to different ships. We also have doubled our submarine fleet so that will require manpower expansion.

So I dont see more 054s coming but 3 052s/similar might be our next target. The deficiencies of frigates will be fulfilled by local built assets.
A

We would have essentially doubled our fleet in the next 3 years. With the rest of the Milgems coming on line by 2028 the fleet size will have increwased further. We want to build Jinnah class frigates and I am hoping the first one may come in early to mid 30s
My question is do we really need additional assets when we are buildijg infrastructure for local manufacturing. There is the issue of manpower which will need training and getting used to different ships. We also have doubled our submarine fleet so that will require manpower expansion.

So I dont see more 054s coming but 3 052s/similar might be our next target. The deficiencies of frigates will be fulfilled by local built assets.
A

Yes agreed with all the above the Navy still has gaps, quite large ones at that regarding manpower and as you stated frigates can be locally built. The 052D's if purchased would give a massive step-up to capabilities, both AAW and sheer firepower directed at the surface level, which is what is needed due to our foe possessing more vessels.

Last edited:
Yes agreed with all the above the Navy still has gaps, quite large ones at that regarding manpower and as you stated frigates can be locally built. The 052D's if every purchased would give a massive step-up to capabilities, both AAW and sheer firepower directed at the surface level, which is what is needed due to our fore possessing more vessels.
I think the 052/similar destroyer will be purchased/manufactured post 30-35 bracket if finances allow. Area wide force projection will require at least 3-4 of them. With increasing mechanization man power needs may reduce as well. However in the current climate seeing what happens next month is difficult let alone a decade down the line. Finances, technological developments and doctrinal change will dictate how we progress and ehat the needs are.
A

There's three more of them coming, possibly two more, although my previous statement of purchasing the Type 52D is preferable.
And I think more of these will also come and also Type 52 D specially keep in mind the test of long range Babar 1 D. You would now see a long naval version of it also.

After 4 Tughrils & 4 Milgems we'll have balanced medium sized ship fleet. Air-defense destroyers should be next acquisition.

1 or 2 Type 52Ds will act as force multiplier. With superior SAMs & radars they will strengthened fleet air defense many folds. Those ships can position in center of fleet, serving entirely as command ships + air cover umbrella to the fleet.

The question is.. if these destroyers are available for export or not. The PLAN is manufacturing 52Ds and 55s for their own fleet. They would make them available for export once their own requirements are fullfilled.

IMO, Navy also needs air-defense systems for its bases / ports. For now, 90% of navy is stationed at Karachi, that needs to be distributed in 3-4 bases as well.

BTW, where is first Type 54, haven't heard anything after Colombo.

There's three more of them coming, possibly two more, although my previous statement of purchasing the Type 52D is preferable.
It would be either two more or four more. It would never be three. As for Type 52 D that is must thing to have. Until and Unless we soon can get upgrade on these same Type 54 A/P and get in them the Universal VLS system which was shown at Zuhai Air Show. If that can happen then there will be no need to get Type 52 just get 4 to 6 more Type 54 A/P with Universal VLS system.

And I think more of these will also come and also Type 52 D specially keep in mind the test of long range Babar 1 D. You would now see a long naval version of it also.
After 4 Tughrils & 4 Milgems we'll have balanced medium sized ship fleet. Air-defense destroyers should be next acquisition.

1 or 2 Type 52Ds will act as force multiplier. With superior SAMs & radars they will strengthened fleet air defense many folds. Those ships can position in center of fleet, serving entirely as command ships + air cover umbrella to the fleet.

The question is.. if these destroyers are available for export or not. The PLAN is manufacturing 52Ds and 55s for their own fleet. They would make them available for export once their own requirements are fullfilled.

IMO, Navy also needs air-defense systems for its bases / ports. For now, 90% of navy is stationed at Karachi, that needs to be distributed in 3-4 bases as well.

BTW, where is first Type 54, haven't heard anything after Colombo.

Brothers the issue with the Type 52D is that it's $920 million ship. There is no way that funds for that would exist, and if they did there would be severe cutbacks elsewhere.
The Type 52D offer similar capabilities e.g. 64 VLS tubes for half that cost, and it is feasible to purchase two for under $1 billion, which is less than what was paid for the four Tyep 54A's but gives us exceptional capability.

Brothers the issue with the Type 52D is that it's $920 million ship. There is no way that funds for that would exist, and if they did there would be severe cutbacks elsewhere.
The Type 52D offer similar capabilities e.g. 64 VLS tubes for half that cost, and it is feasible to purchase two for under $1 billion, which is less than what was paid for the four Tyep 54A's but gives us exceptional capability.
Yep, thats what I am saying too that 1 or 2 T-52Ds. I know for sure that China will never export 055. Secondly, thats way more expensive and bigger then our requirements.

Although even availability of Type-52D is also questionable as China is developing multiple of those for its own navy. As it wants to quickly mass up its Navy against USN.

Back
Top Bottom