What's new

Featured Pakistan Navy Type 054AP Frigates - Update, News & Discussion

Can someone please stop all the good news for the Navy I cant take in all in :sniper:

from Turkish welding of the 2nd Jinnah class to the launch of the 2nd x Type 054A/P and all in the same week!

my only question do we have enough crews?

Very clear message by China and Pakistan. Our security and prosperity is intertwined.

Type 054A/P #3 & #4
57787a1086cd40a18b11c11f8c09e9ea.jpg

looks so stealthy, can it launch cruise missiles like babur ?
I think so it will, but babur is a ground launch CM, i think most probably a version of babur that was test fired from i thinks Azmat class few year ago i think this test was in 2018 ( can't remember the name of that specific CM) is the most probable that our Type 54 A/P will have

I think so it will, but babur is a ground launch CM, i think most probably a version of babur that was test fired from i thinks Azmat class few year ago i think this test was in 2018 ( can't remember the name of that specific CM) is the most probable that our Type 54 A/P will have

YJ-12 (200-400 km range depending on flight altitude and Mach 4 speed)

Considering the size of the missile; the ship will probably only carry a total of 6.

on a side note, if this ship is primarily an ASW asset, I hope they make space under these missiles for two long range (650 mm) Torpedos; with a range out to 50 km underneath each “stack” of anti-ship missiles, for a total of 4 long range Torpedos. It should help keep the equally important threat of enemy submarines away

on a second side note the air defense missiles are supposedly the LY-80N (70 km range). All the round this is a considerably formidable ship.

YJ-12 (200-400 km range depending on flight altitude and Mach 4 speed)

Considering the size of the missile; the ship will probably only carry a total of 6.

on a side note, if this ship is primarily an ASW asset, I hope they make space under these missiles for two long range (650 mm) Torpedos; with a range out to 50 km underneath each “stack” of anti-ship missiles, for a total of 4 long range Torpedos. It should help keep the equally important threat of enemy submarines away

on a second side note the air defense missiles are supposedly the LY-80N (70 km range). All the round this is a considerably formidable ship.
Yeas bro but we need to balance out weapons on our upcoming Type 54A/P, we need LACM on this baby also, 2-3 YJ-12 along with subsonic anti ship missiles could be perfect for Type 54A/P, to complicate the attack against IN ships and LACM is for shore and inland targets in India

4 or 8, but 6 is impossible.
I thought this missile is too large to stack two on top of two, requiring a one on top of two configuration. But if it’s two on two, that’s even better.

Yeas bro but we need to balance out weapons on our upcoming Type 54A/P, we need LACM on this baby also, 2-3 YJ-12 along with subsonic anti ship missiles could be perfect for Type 54A/P, to complicate the attack against IN ships and LACM is for shore and inland targets in India

I agree, this ship needs at least 2 if not 4 Long range LACM, along with the 4-6 YJ-12. I was just pointing out this ship is primarily an ASW asset and should have the means to deliver a long range Torpedo (650 mm) towards a hostile, before the hostile has a chance to launch against it. A larger, long range torpedo is too large to be carried by anything other than a ship. It’s too large for a MPA or helicopter to carry, and requires too much deck space for a smaller ship to carry, so a dedicated ASW platform should be designed to have enough space for at least 2 volleys of 2 long range Torpedos.

So what I propose is in each direction Is place two Torpedos on the deck, build a level above that, upon which place the two LACM and above that two YJ-12. This will give enough all round firepower to single handle be a formidable threat and defensive platform with its 32 cell 70 km range air defense capability.

With deeper diving enemy submarines and much more quieter and lower signature enemy surface vessels, a larger torpedo can carry better sensors and have the capability to chase an enemy target (especially deeper down) in a way a light weight torpedo wouldn’t be able to do.

The enemy already has heavy weight Torpedos in the field, and plan to field it on their submarines.
As you can see, they are rather large tubes, but not so large they can be fitted with some modifications on the deck. If their submarines start carry them, we will be at a severe disadvantage when we only have light weight Torpedos and can’t reach out and take them out when they can fire at us with impunity. This is similar to the BVR missile discussions between the PL-15 and the Meteor. We only have the equivalent of sparrow missiles compared to their meteor, we need the capability to field the torpedo equivalent of the PL-15 to keep pace.

Here is some more information on heavy weight Torpedos

This is a threat even the Chinese don’t seem to have adapted their surface ships to deal with, as you can see their destroyer only carry lightweight torpedos

In the short term we can equip some of the VLS cells to carry rocket assisted torpedos. But this won’t give us the ability to fully deal with submarines, which can hide very deep, and still have the ability to launch their own long range torpedos at our ships. Even with the rocket assist, the torpedos only have a range out to 30 km from the ship.

There is a Chinese 533mm Heavy Weight torpedo that might work for this role; Yu-9 (finished development in 2012) used on Chinese submarines only, from what I’ve
There is also the Turkish 533mm heavyweight torpedo; Akya (just finished development 2020/2021)

Last edited:
I agree, this ship needs at least 2 if not 4 Long range LACM, along with the 4-6 YJ-12. I was just pointing out this ship is primarily an ASW asset and should have the means to deliver a long range Torpedo (650 mm) towards a hostile, before the hostile has a chance to launch against it. A larger, long range torpedo is too large to be carried by anything other than a ship. It’s too large for a MPA or helicopter to carry, and requires too much deck space for a smaller ship to carry, so a dedicated ASW platform should be designed to have enough space for at least 2 volleys of 2 long range Torpedos.

So what I propose is in each direction Is place two Torpedos on the deck, build a level above that, upon which place the two LACM and above that two YJ-12. This will give enough all round firepower to single handle be a formidable threat and defensive platform with its 32 cell 70 km range air defense capability.
you don't understand my point brother i am talking about 2-3 YJ-12 not LACMs and 4-6 LACM, and can you confirm me That china have or will have any system like US asroc or Russian SS-N 15/16???, If Chinese developed these kind of systems than there will be no need for extra large Torpedo tubes on hull or separate MPA for launching heavy weight Torpedo's?

Type 054A/P #2
January 29, 2021
View attachment 711513View attachment 711514View attachment 711515View attachment 711516View attachment 711517View attachment 711518View attachment 711519
Via @燃烧的哈尔科夫 from Weibo

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Type 054A/P #3
View attachment 711520
Via @燃烧的哈尔科夫 from Weibo
Video: https://weibo.com/tv/show/1034:4599043305963577?from=old_pc_videoshow

Back
Top Bottom