What's new

Pakistan Navy: The Phoenix Rises

I think the Navy's resources would be better spent researching missile and submarine technology.

A small nation like Israel could punch way above its weight due to the sheer differences in military technology.

A really nicely written article. There are as always a few hinderances which @fatman17 pointed out in his original response. It did seem that finance was not the only hinderance to PN surface acquisition. It seems to me we were at the cusp of change in surface platform usage and use of smaller crafts with shoot and scoot capabilityare now more in favour as compared to larger cumbersome and difficult to hide frigates and destroyers.
One of the recent developments has been the construction of 600 and 1500 ton crafts for the MSA. Is this in indication Of things to come?
The other thing to think of is whether the source of surface platforms is being shifted towards non chinese providers? This seems to have been brought about by safety concerns and possibly associated missile deals which the Chinese are not in a position to provide for the moment.
Either case we are looking at long awaited development of a neglected arm.
A

Last edited:
I know about the work on miniature reactor for the subs since 2008 from someone who was directly involved in the project and it was 80-85% complete then. My question was about sub construction. This is however possible that instead of building new platform, Pakistan fits the nuclear reactors in the existing subs or the new Chinese subs without ever declaring it publically.

The reactor is the first step; that is all I would like to add.

I don't express anything until I am dead sure, and this I intend for our fb page so double checked or triple checked info.

All nuclear subs require that their power plant be developed first.

Budget and usual "nagihanu aafatien" being avoided, most of these thingd should see completion.

11 AIP Attack Submarines
1 Nuclear Ballistic Missile Submarine
12 Frigates
8 Corvettes
4 Destroyers
Can we still get that 1 Aircraft Carrier?

I can vouch for the reactor part, I know it was 80-85% complete in 2008. I guess if @Oscar is revealing it now publically, then that must be 100% tested and ready.

Well in that case, best of luck to the nation. Hopefully, we'll see Pakistan's own nuclear submarine by 2030 or so.

Military should be on this project like they are on CPEC, so "nagihani aafatein" can be avoid. Budgetary issues should arise in the first place (if planning is right), and even if they do God forbid, Saudis can come in handy if we make them the right sell.

Anyways, Godspeed to our country's defence capabilities!

Pakistan's nuclear triad will only be completed after the induction of the Chinese built S20 boats starting 2022-23. the land and air based components are in place and are tried and tested.
s-20 are not nuclear, rather AIP subs. I believe there is something more than meet the eye / surface.

Defense procurement doesn't depend on speculations. Aircraft carriers are used to project power. ACs doesn't fit our naval doctrine nor does our pocket.
well then let's project some power, btw AC's have other roles then just "power projection"

I agree CPEC is great opportunity for us to expand our Navy. We need to get Frigates from Turkey and also South Korea with VLS like MK 41 system which can do multi functions I mean from firing Air Defence Missiles to Long Range cruise missiles. They would not only give us more platforms for nuclear but also massive conventional power. In future if needed we can also participate missiles around the globe
I agree. To gain enough conventional punch in other words to decrease the reliance on tactical weapons.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom