What's new

Pakistan Naval Aviation - Updated

View attachment 452754
Hi why not something like this from china in future Y8
Any input from the learned memeber
Thank you

I have stated many times in the past that given its financial constraints, PN should invest in a far more powerful ASW arm centered around tye Y-8GX6. This aircraft has the largest MAD of any aircraft and the length of the MAD is often directly propotional to is capabilities in detecting subs. Also, much like the P-3C, it has the ability to carry missiles. Up to 8 torpedoes or 4-6 AShM could likely be held. 4 air launched CM-400AKG per aircraft would be potentially devesting to IN surface fleet.

The Atlantics and the Sea King Mk. 46s are equipped with the AM-39 Exocet for the anti-shipping role. The Lynx HAS.3s acquired from the Royal Navy in 1994 have recently been withdrawn from service, due to various reasons, so it is believed that the naval air arm has lost its capability to use Sea Skua and Mk 46 Lightweight Torpedoes in the anti-submarine role from helicopter platforms.
http://bsekkarachi.result2018.pk/
The Atlantics have also been withdrawn from service and the lynx buy was a waste of money as no spares are available and operating costs prohibitive. They have been offered for sale but no takers.

I have stated many times in the past that given its financial constraints, PN should invest in a far more powerful ASW arm centered around tye Y-8GX6. This aircraft has the largest MAD of any aircraft and the length of the MAD is often directly propotional to is capabilities in detecting subs. Also, much like the P-3C, it has the ability to carry missiles. Up to 8 torpedoes or 4-6 AShM could likely be held. 4 air launched CM-400AKG per aircraft would be potentially devesting to IN surface fleet.
Agreed. Since PN can never match IN in terms of number of warships(destroyers, frigates, corvettes, etc.)...PN should take a different route. In case of war IN would understandably try a blockade...so Pak should heavily invest in submarines(the more numerous the better), ASW and MPA assets(like the one u mentioned or PN's modified ATR 72, P3C Orions, etc.), strong naval air arm(preferably twin engine jets for long range), and SAM protected coastal batteries(the longer the range the better). These elements together in a defensive posture and in a net centric environment would devastate IN and its attempts at a blockade.

Pakistan Navy SA-319B Alouette III helicopter lands aboard the aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77). Personnel assigned to the Pakistan navy destroyer PNS Shahjahan (DDG 186) visited George H.W. Bush for a coordinated professional exchange while the two ships were operating in the vicinity of one another in the Arabian Sea. George H.W. Bush is deployed to the U.S. 5th Fleet area of responsibility on its first operational deployment conducting maritime security operations and support missions as part of Operations Enduring Freedom and New Dawn.

28378839_1571619712887669_2323033780195437477_n.jpg

Anyone got photos of the Mirage 5 operated by navy for anti ship role.

All Mirages are operated by the Air Force. Navy does not have any fighter air craft.

Btw, if you want to see their pictures, just google Mirage 5PA3 ... or conversely, any PAF Mirage picture where the serial number is in the 400 range is going to be the Agave radar equipped versions.

Last edited:
The ATR-72MPA can't compensate for the P-3C as the P-3C has much more range and a heavier payload. In fact, even the PN intends to use the ATR-72MPA for primarily ISR and SAR, with ASW being a secondary role. There are hardly any aircraft like the P-3C, hence the replacement market is limited to just two options: Boeing P-8 and Kawasaki P-1. If a country isn't going for any of those two, they're sticking with the P-3C.

Thankfully, the PAF has Project Azm to help it exit the F-16 when the time comes, but it'll be interesting to see how the PN manages the P-3C. As the aircraft ages, it'll only get costlier to maintain and operate, especially with the US being iffy.

This entire big MPA market is up for grabs for whoever comes up with a non-US market. Brazil's Embraer is already thinking about it...

"You can take out the mission system and fly with cargo, passengers, medevac, etc., so it would be a single fleet with perhaps two aircraft capable of being configured for maritime patrol and five dedicated to air mobility. It is how we can show synergy between both projects, but at the same time we have a solution that is 100 percent dedicated to maritime patrol with the E190-E2."

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2...ealand-rfi-for-airlift-surveillance-aircraft/
I would expect that P3C Orions are still going to be around at least another 10 years or so specially with PN.

This I think is perfect timing...in 10 years time, the Comac C919(currently being tested) would have matured and most likely would be acquired in numbers by Chinese airlines for domestic travel purposes. Currently they are aiming to deliver first production C919 in 2021.
Source

In these 10 years China would also make more progress in radar tech and other avionics. This combined with large scale production(in the civil sector) of Comac C919 would make for an excellent MPA based on this aircraft. So in my opinion China would be able to provide a good competitor MPA to P8 Poseidon. Based on the pattern of Chinese defense equipment as compared to its US counterparts, I would also expect it to cost less per aircraft compared to P8 Poseidon. This MPA should be a success in export markets that are moving away from US equipment(like Pakistan) or others that are simply barred from acquiring US equipment(like Iran).

All Mirages are operated by the Air Force. Navy does not have any fighter air craft.

Btw, if you want to see their pictures, just google Mirage 5PA3 ... or conversely, any PAF Mirage picture where the serial number is in the 400 range is going to be the Agave radar equipped versions.
I thought around 12 mirages were directly operated by the navy for anti ship role using exocets.

Pakistan Navy SA-319B Alouette III helicopter lands aboard the aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77). Personnel assigned to the Pakistan navy destroyer PNS Shahjahan (DDG 186) visited George H.W. Bush for a coordinated professional exchange while the two ships were operating in the vicinity of one another in the Arabian Sea. George H.W. Bush is deployed to the U.S. 5th Fleet area of responsibility on its first operational deployment conducting maritime security operations and support missions as part of Operations Enduring Freedom and New Dawn.

28378839_1571619712887669_2323033780195437477_n.jpg
this is pure junk sir

I would expect that P3C Orions are still going to be around at least another 10 years or so specially with PN.

This I think is perfect timing...in 10 years time, the Comac C919(currently being tested) would have matured and most likely would be acquired in numbers by Chinese airlines for domestic travel purposes. Currently they are aiming to deliver first production C919 in 2021.
Source

In these 10 years China would also make more progress in radar tech and other avionics. This combined with large scale production(in the civil sector) of Comac C919 would make for an excellent MPA based on this aircraft. So in my opinion China would be able to provide a good competitor MPA to P8 Poseidon. Based on the pattern of Chinese defense equipment as compared to its US counterparts, I would also expect it to cost less per aircraft compared to P8 Poseidon. This MPA should be a success in export markets that are moving away from US equipment(like Pakistan) or others that are simply barred from acquiring US equipment(like Iran).

If paf is still flying 1960 era c130 and pn seaking than pn can still fly p3s since same rr engine on both and both are LM product and old aircraft can be bought for spares canabalized for spares

If paf is still flying 1960 era c130 and pn seaking than pn can still fly p3s since same rr engine on both and both are LM product and old aircraft can be bought for spares canabalized for spares
I didn't say PN can't operate P3C after a certain time...with enough time/effort/money, of course they can be kept operational. However eventually PN would need replacement of these MPAs...and so I was pointing out a possibility of MPAs based on C919 aircraft, which I think would be viable and cost effective.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom