What's new

Pakistan moves to install nationwide “web monitoring system”

We need to make this a political issue and stop the government from violating our right!!

Our Chinese friends have no choice but to accept what Mr. Xi says, but we are democracy and can force the government to change.

How so, btw PDF has no influence on the Public of Pakistan or its Govt when its made mostly of expats
You do realised some members of PDF works for Pakistan government, right?

And some even work for the PA.

You do realised some members of PDF works for Pakistan government, right?

And some even work for the PA.

From what I have seen its mostly ex folks and very low level dudes tell me which serious Govt official would spend time on a forum with trolls and bants

If its true then it really shows how incompent the Pak Govt Civil Govt is sadly the most clumsy tbh is I highly doubt high level PAF officials are around here

We need to make this a political issue and stop the government from violating our right!!

Our Chinese friends have no choice but to accept what Mr. Xi says, but we are democracy and can force the government to change.
Brah you do understand PTA bans a lot of websites which inculdes **** lol

From what I have seen its mostly ex folks and very low level dudes tell me which serious Govt official would spend time on a forum with trolls and bants

If its true then it really shows how incompent the Pak Govt Civil Govt is sadly the most clumsy tbh is I highly doubt high level PAF officials are around here
You wouldnt what kind of security level or data they can access. If they are radicalised, it can be a massive Trojan horse.

Brah you do understand PTA bans a lot of websites which inculdes **** lol

I'm fine with banning ****, that is why God invented vpns, what I am not fine with is active monitoring of people online.

Online monitoring means theys can use anything you said against you and send you to jail for any reason.
That is China level of messed up.

What is next?
Organ harvesting?

Online surveillance seems a favourite tool for countries to spy on their own citizens. While China is building cameras that will be able to recognise faces among crowds and record their activities, other countries aren't far behind.

Why advertise with us
Pakistan has acquired the services of a Canadian surveillance company, Sandvine and is working on creating a nationwide "web monitoring system".

Coda Story reported on Thursday that Sandvine will provide the Government of Pakistan equipment for monitoring and analysing all incoming and outgoing internet traffic in the country. The contract is reportedly worth $18.5 million and has been signed in December last year. Data will be measured and recorded under the aegis of the country's telecom regulator Pakistan Telecom Authority (PTA).

Pakistani firm Inbox Technologies Pvt. Ltd. will be the local partner for Sandvine and will be responsible for procuring hardware, software and related services for creating a full-scale web monitoring system.

The technology being used for the purpose is Deep Packet Inspection, which is also used by China to surveil its citizens' online activities for unlawful activities. Any data, in or out of Pakistan, may be easily checked by the government and all activities will be recorded.

The system will give the government full autonomy to silence the online activities of journalists, activists and political dissidents.

The system is yet to be operational. The PTA had previously invited bids for building a system for classifying unlawful content in three categories – blasphemous, indecent, immoral or anti-state. While all of these are worrisome, the last one is particularly indicative of a police state built on technology.

Sandvine has been selling such technology to authoritarian regimes such as Turkey, Egypt and Syria and also bundles regular problems with spyware.

Alexa, Google Home can become privacy and security threats
The Government of Pakistan has already blocked 925,000 websites for "anti-state, anti-judiciary, defamation, disinformation, sectarian and hate-speech content". Pakistan has also blocked global organisations such as Voice of America for airing content critical of the state.

The news which has emerged when Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg is appearing before Congress is indicative of a world, where political leaders in liberal democracies don't understand technologies. Authoritarian regimes, on the other hand, are using technology to further their aims, in an international atmosphere, where there is no retribution for such acts.

These are scary times to be living in.

pakistan-online-web-monitoring-system.jpg

Pakistan is creating a system to monitor incoming and outgoing online traffic. Credit: Reuters

• MORE

Must me a stupid little dumbwit who wrote this article..Pakistan using technology to scare journalists??? why now??.Pakistan has been doing sophisticated DPI extracting patterns out of grey traffic and white traffic for a long long time.I remember 10 years back Pakistan Internet Exchange in Karachi was running an Israeli product called Narus in the heart of their NOCs which was doing the exact same job..We have also been using our own locally enabled solutions since early 2000s.
In the end the way he puts
These are scary times to be living in.
shows he is a cuck..

You wouldnt what kind of security level or data they can access. If they are radicalised, it can be a massive Trojan horse.

I think you are bit paranoid bud, had we had most of the folks on PDF in our Govt, we prolly would have broke ties with Beijing, in the UN raise the so called mistreatment of Uyghurs in Xinjiang but our govt supported you in the UN and CPEC Canned

this is why i fear most from PDF.

As if the ISI and GHQ uses PDF pfttttt

If you visit Sandvine's website, you can find a partial list of their customers. It includes organizations from a long list of countries, including some "Western" countries.

It is a Canadian origin company, now based in California. It is listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange, which means strict compliance with regulations, and a high level of transparency.

Pakistan using their services is hardly controversial. The news is being framed in a way that makes it sound scary or controversial. Unfortunately, quite typical.

Fellows, online monitoring is ALREADY happening without your knowledge in many countries specially in the West. Whether you like it or not, the Governments do not need anyone's permission. Pakistan needs to do this monitoring urgently due to spread of Terrorism in Pakistan by foreign entities via the use of internet. Also remember, the military and agencies are probably already doing this in Pakistan. But now the civilian government has been asked to take additional responsibility for this.

Back
Top Bottom