What's new

Pakistan in talks for 4 Ada Class Corvettes, T-129 Helicopters & modernization of agosta fleet

VLS should be imminent priority on new ship we need good medium range air defence on the ship and we must have few VLS for Tactical ballistic missile of Abdali class which are small in size and effective for sea denial for Indian ships
Define "medium range AD". Remember Standard SM1MR (formerly medium range), Sea Sparrow (formerly point defence) and compare to ESSM (presently point defence): ESSM has a range close to that of SM1MR.

Tactical ballistic missiles for (effective?) sea denial, on a ship?!?!?

Only a matter of time till its official.
Exciting times. It is great to be able to share them on this forum with people such as yourself, @Oscar, @Horus and others. Signatures on big-ticket defence items don't happen often. The last round (e.g. F-16s, Erieye, Spada, etc) happened when some on this board were in diapers, literally.

It looks like the standard Ada-class corvettes are being acquired. This is what i have been told. It is not Istanbul class but the standard Corvette. Meaning no VLS for now. However i did asked about a possibility where the first two come in basic configuration and then followed by the next two with extended hulls for a 16 cell VLS housing surface to air missiles (short range). Not confirmed, nor denied but was not really up for it either., if i was reading him correctly, it was a NO.

This is what i have got. Is it a good and accurate version of what is actually happening or you people have something different?
  1. Ada-Class
  2. No VLS for air defense missiles.
  3. RAM Blk-I most probable (meaning just 9-11 Km range)
  4. A very very distant possibility of getting decent VLS housed SAM for ship number 3rd and 4th.
@Bilal Khan (Quwa) @HRK @Penguin @Bilal Khan 777

We still don't know which version of MILGEM Pakistan has selected to go for.

MoU Deal contains the Milgems to be constructed in Pakistan. If it is İstanbul class Milgem selected by Pakistani officials, Pakistani variant will be shaped over longer hull Milgem design. I think at the end of the day, the official deal for Pakistani variant Milgem to be signed for commencement of construction will be purely Pakistani official's selection so I hope they request Istanbul class like frigate with VLS launchers on board.

It looks like the standard Ada-class corvettes are being acquired. This is what i have been told. It is not Istanbul class but the standard Corvette. Meaning no VLS for now. However i did asked about a possibility where the first two come in basic configuration and then followed by the next two with extended hulls for a 16 cell VLS housing surface to air missiles (short range). Not confirmed, nor denied but was not really up for it either., if i was reading him correctly, it was a NO.

This is what i have got. Is it a good and accurate version of what is actually happening or you people have something different?
  1. Ada-Class
  4. A very very distant possibility of getting decent VLS housed SAM for ship number 3rd and 4th.
More than likely the MILGEM Ada with AShW, ASW and PDMS or CIWS. It isn't ideal, but ultimately, it was probably the most affordable and accessible (in terms of timing) ship available to the PN from Turkey. The Type 21s should have been retired yesterday, I suspect the PN has basically been looking for a vessel to meet the minimum fleet needs. If it's of any consolation, the MILGEM Ada is still the core of the LF-2400 and I-Class - this brings the PN closer to either of those, even though it hasn't reached them, yet...

1. Ada-Class

I also think we are opting for standard Ada Class corvette, or we say say this the situation as per the model placed in front of minister of Defence production at the time signing of Letter of Interest ...
milgem class covert.jpg

MoU Deal contains the Milgems to be constructed in Pakistan. If it is İstanbul class Milgem selected by Pakistani officials, Pakistani variant will be shaped over longer hull Milgem design. I think at the end of the day, the official deal for Pakistani variant Milgem to be signed for commencement of construction will be purely Pakistani official's selection so I hope they request Istanbul class like frigate with VLS launchers on board.

I am also hoping for the same we need a powerful Frigate to carry out same role for us which USA just did with Syrian Air Base other wise I don't see much use of these Corvettes.

#Leonardo developed #cyber intelligence services for monitoring & analysing Big Data. Find out more at #IDEF2017 http://www.leonardocompany.com/en/-/cyber-security-challenge …

C_iTBkDXkAEq6HH.jpg

Guns & Roses #POF #IDEF2017

Last edited:
Milgem without RAM would be waste of money. Thats like striping an aircraft from it's gun

RAM would be the minimum. It does give good air defence in short range and better than type 21(3 of them dont have any)
no aerial denial though.
I am surprised we couldnt get the sams. I mean if turkey is making its own and we have South africa. So likely was cost issue.

More than likely the MILGEM Ada with AShW, ASW and PDMS or CIWS. It isn't ideal, but ultimately, it was probably the most affordable and accessible (in terms of timing) ship available to the PN from Turkey. The Type 21s should have been retired yesterday, I suspect the PN has basically been looking for a vessel to meet the minimum fleet needs. If it's of any consolation, the MILGEM Ada is still the core of the LF-2400 and I-Class - this brings the PN closer to either of those, even though it hasn't reached them, yet...
I respectfully differ. If this is the case, there were better options available. MILGEM do not offers ANYTHING over the other options. That is what i have been saying since the news about interest first surfaced YEARS ago. They just add numbers, coastal defense ships at best with no adequate self-defense mechanism. Frankly speaking, i would take two Type 54 frigates over 4 Milgem boats ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. They will give us the much needed, the DESPERATELY needed air-defense umbrella. Without that, the surface fleets are not going to survive for too long. Ada class do not address the most dire need of our surface fleet.

Milgem without RAM would be waste of money. Thats like striping an aircraft from it's gun

RAM would be the minimum. It does give good air defence in short range and better than type 21(3 of them dont have any)
no aerial denial though.
I am surprised we couldnt get the sams. I mean if turkey is making its own and we have South africa. So likely was cost issue.
Milgem WITH Ram is not much different either. Considering that the Blk-I gives 8-10 Km air defense range.

Milgem only makes sense if:
  1. The first four, or at least two of them come with a 16 cell VLS housing Hisar-O or comparable range missiles. AND
  2. The order is followed up with TF2000 frigates.
@Penguin ? What will you say dear?

I respectfully differ. If this is the case, there were better options available. MILGEM do not offers ANYTHING over the other options. That is what i have been saying since the news about interest first surfaced YEARS ago. They just add numbers, coastal defense ships at best with no adequate self-defense mechanism. Frankly speaking, i would take two Type 54 frigates over 4 Milgem boats ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. They will give us the much needed, the DESPERATELY needed air-defense umbrella. Without that, the surface fleets are not going to survive for too long. Ada class do not address the most dire need of our surface fleet.
We can say two Type 054s are better than 4 MILGEM Adas, but is it really? IIRC the PN basically sends ships on rotation between those at sea and those docked for maintenance and resupply. In other words, two Type 054s would mean having just one frigate at sea; yes, it might have AAW, but it'd also be the only ASW and AShW asset too. This is opposed to two or three MILGEM Adas providing more coverage in the latter two.

We can say two Type 054s are better than 4 MILGEM Adas, but is it really? IIRC the PN basically sends ships on rotation between those at sea and those docked for maintenance and resupply. In other words, two Type 054s would mean having just one frigate at sea; yes, it might have AAW, but it'd also be the only ASW and AShW asset too. This is opposed to two or three MILGEM Adas providing more coverage in the latter two.
Sir when i say that i will prefer two Type 54 over 4 Milgem with no air defense, i am keeping in mind the PN fleet. We have four F22p frigates. Two frigates along with one Type 54 will make a decent patrol formation with good air defense cover. We can have two similar patrol formations. Also we can gradually add more ships of Milgem class to increase the number of patrol formations OR to increase the number of ships in that patrol formation. However at current point of time, it is good air defense cover that our surface fleet lack and that is what MILGEMS fail to provide. That is why i say that i will prefer Type 54 as they will add and bring a capability that we lack while MIGEM does not. Otherwise, i understand that it is great to diversify and also the fact that Turkey have a bright naval future. That is why i say that it will make sense if our ships are equipped with a half decent SAM AND if this order is followed up with bigger and better ships from that "bright future"

Back
Top Bottom