What's new

Pakistan F-16 Discussions 2

from Dec-09 issue of AFM;

' LM unveilled the first of 18 new F-16C/D Block 52 aircraft for the PAF in a ceremony at its Fort Worth, Texas, facility on October 13. The aircraft, the first two-seat F-16D, 10801 (c/n JF-1, USAF/07-0013), had made its maiden flight from Ft.Worth on September 29 and made a second sortie on October 1. The PAF ordered 12 F-16C Block 52s (c/ns JE-1 to JE-12, USAF serials 07-0001 to 07-0012), and six F-16D Block 52 (s/ns JF-1 to JF-6, USAF serials 07-0013 to 07-0018) on September 30, 2006. All the aircraft will equip a new squadron that are to be based at the recently modernised Shahbaz Air Base near Jacobabad in Sindh. The deal also includes the modification of 26 previously embargoed F-16A/Bs and 34 mid-life upgrade kits for existing PAF F-16 fleet. Four F-16s are currently being used as 'pattern aircraft' for the MLU work at Ft.Worth, with the 'production work' being carried out by Turkish aerospace company, TUSAS based at Ankara-Murted.
Although the four previous PAF F-16 deals had been dubbed Peace Gate I to IV, at the request of the PAF because of the negative connotations of the embargo on deliveries (which have now been lifted), the Block 52 order is designated Peace Drive I. The PAF received its first F-16 in F-16A/B Block 15 configuration in 1982 and the new programme now brings total PAF F-16 orders to 78, with 9 having been lost to accidents. The first F-16D under the Peace Drive I programme will be handed over to the USAF (as agent for the PAF FMS process) in December. First aircraft arrivals in Pakistan are due in June 2010, with delivery of all 18 expected to be completed in December 2010.'

12 embargoed F-16A/B are still to be delivered.

from Dec-09 issue of AFM;

' LM unveilled the first of 18 new F-16C/D Block 52 aircraft for the PAF in a ceremony at its Fort Worth, Texas, facility on October 13. The aircraft, the first two-seat F-16D, 10801 (c/n JF-1, USAF/07-0013), had made its maiden flight from Ft.Worth on September 29 and made a second sortie on October 1. .

best birthday present i ever got in a while :):)

First aircraft arrivals in Pakistan are due in June 2010, with delivery of all 18 expected to be completed in December 2010.'

12 embargoed F-16A/B are still to be delivered.

Here is what bothers me. What exactly is the US Govt. planning to do with our F-16s between December 2009 to June 2010? 6+ months seems an awfully long time, and I am not sure what it is that will be going on in these 6 months. One, two, maybe three months, max, makes sense for administrative work, but six months is quite steep. Could this have anything, possibly, to do with the escalation in Afghanistan? I mean, it would be a lot easier for Obama to justify arming the PAF if the battle is going in the US' favor. I hate to speculate, but this idea doesn't seem too far off what Obama said in his Afghanistan strategy address:
We will strengthen Pakistan's capacity to target those groups that threaten our countries and have made it clear that we cannot tolerate a safe haven for terrorists whose location is known and whose intentions are clear.

It would be interesting to see if, during that six month period, PAF personnel are allowed access to the F-16s for evaluation, familiarization and training purposes.

As for the embargoed F-16s, I believe we won't see them before they've undergone MLU. I, for some reason, am very uncomfortable with the idea of PAF F-16s outside of Pakistan, even if it is in Turkey. There never seems to be any hurry to get them back in Pakistan, where they should be.

Here is what bothers me. What exactly is the US Govt. planning to do with our F-16s between December 2009 to June 2010? 6+ months seems an awfully long time, and I am not sure what it is that will be going on in these 6 months. One, two, maybe three months, max, makes sense for administrative work, but six months is quite steep. Could this have anything, possibly, to do with the escalation in Afghanistan? I mean, it would be a lot easier for Obama to justify arming the PAF if the battle is going in the US' favor. I hate to speculate, but this idea doesn't seem too far off what Obama said in his Afghanistan strategy address:

PAFAce,

the agreement was signed in 2006/7 and we knew it then that the planes will start arriving in june 2010. Its not like the plane is made but the delivery schedule is now being changed.

Frankly, I am not very happy of PAF buying these F-16s. I can understand their lack of options and hence going for the F-16s. Lets hope we get them.

As for the what they are going to do till june 2010, I don't think when the ceremony was held, the planes are 100% ready to be delivered. Ceremonies can always be held in spite of actual work done. Training, familiarization, etc will take some time. Also the planes will be delivered when a "batch" is ready and not like one plane rolls out of factory and flies home, next one comes out and flies home.

As for the embargoed F-16s, I believe we won't see them before they've undergone MLU.

I believe fatman is talking about the initially PAF destined planes in use with US Navy and not the ones undergoing MLUs. US Navy hasn't yet agreed to let them go so their MLU isn't even on the table.

embargoed pak f-16s

423b1ba4688faac5f854689cf4696544.jpg

NSAWC F-16A wearing the brown camo scheme. This is one of the embargoed batch that were destined for the Pakistan AF

4d2a4f05f4f28d9ab1f4f3580d05e9bd.jpg

45b345d2ee09e46a86a959be94e80dcc.jpg

Taxying back to the ramp after a morning mission. This is one of the batch of embargoed aircraft that had been destined for Pakistan. They spent approximately 10 years in the desert at AMARC before entering service with the USN in the adversary role.

bd83e4f1c768311769a4669879779109.jpg

two seat Falcon taxies back to the ramp.Another of the embargoed Pakistan F16
working for the USN now.

502ec64143f726e826cd87aa93675f07.jpg

Looking down from the tower onto this NSAWC F-16A, one of the embargoed batch that were destined for Pakistan.

b9bcab3ccb56cb681634887f528016b9.jpg

First shot on the database of this NSAWC F-16A. Originally one the embargoed batch that were due to go to Pakistan. This aircraft then spent approximately 10 years in storage at AMARC before becoming an adversary type with the USN.

Last edited:
Hi, I can see that some F16s have slightly golden-ish canopies while the others have crystal clear canopies. Can someone tell me whats the difference ?

Regards,
Sapper

Hi, I can see that some F16s have slightly golden-ish canopies while the others have crystal clear canopies. Can someone tell me whats the difference ?

Regards,
Sapper

Most probably they have been tinted for protection from UV rays of Sun, as if you see the back end of the tinted canopies, they are having non-tinted glass piece, meaning the front part of the glass canopy have been tinted on purpose for sun protection.

Regards,
Sapper
Gold tinted canopies are designed to lower F-16s head-on radar cross-section. But since they have operational issues with NVGs, much of the F-16 fleet is reverting back to clear canopies.

Gold tinted canopies are designed to lower F-16s head-on radar cross-section. But since they have operational issues with NVGs, much of the F-16 fleet is reverting back to clear canopies.

I knew that, just wanted confirmation, thanks for that. Also note that in some photos F22s also have golden canopies to the extent that pilot is not visible at all (just like the visor of EVA space suit). Is it possible that LM fixed the problem of NV goggle in F22 ?

Regards,
Sapper

Hi,

Maybe like some of us who have tinted windows on our cars, maybe some of the pilots had gold window tint on their canopies---what do you say-----just kidding---:cheers:

11 Dec 1988
Pakistan orders 11 F-16s (Peace Gate III).
- never saw the light of day!

Back
Top Bottom