What's new

Pakistan Army's VT-4 Main Battle Tank | Updates & Discussions

I think new oplot will have this engine.
Isn't the engine too big to the "new oplot"?
007zhAeCgy1g1obj78bw8j30u02j1u0x.jpg

VT-4 only means we had problems with Oplot delivery timeframe and AK2 is still in trials.
Moreover we also need numbers. Because VT4 is bringing not something considerable in terms of capability. In modern warfare its not Tank vs Tank but tank vs anti-tank and arieal threats and the raise in capabilities of VT4 (5-10%) vs AK1 isn't that significant to make a differance in battlefield neither worth the investment on support, ammunition etc.
But its clear that PA is vary of Apaches and other attack helis deployment on the eastern front.

Other than money, do you see any reason why PA didn't go for Altay?
Reason being Turks didn’t respond to RFI. When DGDP dropped pursuance of Altay as it has not yet been commissioned in Any Army World Over. That was one of the pre requisite for qualification into next step.

VT-4 only means we had problems with Oplot delivery timeframe and AK2 is still in trials.
Moreover we also need numbers. Because VT4 is bringing not something considerable in terms of capability. In modern warfare its not Tank vs Tank but tank vs anti-tank and arieal threats and the raise in capabilities of VT4 (5-10%) vs AK1 isn't that significant to make a differance in battlefield neither worth the investment on support, ammunition etc.
But its clear that PA is vary of Apaches and other attack helis deployment on the eastern front.
Oplot was dropped as Ukrainians we’re told to bring the Oplot back again for trials with improvements after some major short comings were observed during the Field Trials. The Ukrainians didn’t respond back again while Vt-4 came back again for trials with the improvements desired and in the field surpassed all benchmarks.

True. The news is 100% accurate. VT-4s are coming. @Dazzler i wouldn’t want to negate you but sorry this time your information needs updating. PA is in the process of receiving VT-4s. The deal had had been finalised last year. PA is looking at 300 units. 01 x Div Strength will be Re equipped with VT-4s. Delivery of the units to complete in 05 years.
Any reason as to why PA has all these different types of tanks...and now has added VT4 to the mix?

IMHO, all these different types of tanks that PA has can't be upgraded to the VT-4 standard.
Right...I don't think anybody is expecting that tanks like the T59 can be upgraded to the VT4 standard...
...I'm asking in the sense..."is there a long term plan to streamline to just let's say two types(a high/low) of tanks?"

Right...I don't think anybody is expecting that tanks like the T59 can be upgraded to the VT4 standard...
...I'm asking in the sense..."is there a long term plan to streamline to just let's say two types(a high/low) of tanks?"
In PLA Army, there would be only ZTZ-99A and ZTQ-15 in the future, and other tanks would be eliminated.
Maybe PA would do something similar...

In PLA Army, there would be only ZTZ-99A and ZTQ-15 in the future, and other tanks would be eliminated.
Maybe PA would do something simliar...
Yeah that's why I'm asking...bcuz acquiring 300 VT4 seems odd(if PA is trying to streamline to just two types)...considering that there's AK1 being produced and AK2 in development. Perhaps this was a stop gap procurement.

I suggest you not to make any conclusion without really understand VT-4. A widely misconception is VT-4 is based on T-72 chasis or shared similarity with Type85-II chasis.

Let me make another statement again.
Type99A is totally a new tank, bigger in dimension, new engine layout in terms of autotransmission, gear box.
Type96 is based more closely with Type85-II which shares many similarity in dimension and design with T-72 chasis.

VT-4 do have taken into consideration the threat of flying gunship and equipped with capabilities to deal with it. The ATGM fired by VT-4 can take out slow low flying threat and varies means available to detect and deal with it. The net work capabilities of VT-4 are very higher. Data sharing with many other units to enable multiple means to locate enemies unit.

Pakistan has $600 Million dollar deal with Ukraine for the upgrade of T-80UD to Oplot standard. And also to buy 200 x 6TD-2 engines. So this means works on AK and AK2 might continue. What I don't understand is that why not buy Altay tanks and fit them with Ukranian engines?

Pakistan has $600 Million dollar deal with Ukraine for the upgrade of T-80UD to Oplot standard. And also to buy 200 x 6TD-2 engines. So this means works on AK and AK2 might continue. What I don't understand is that why not buy Altay tanks and fit them with Ukranian engines?
LOL.. Its not as easy as you think. Altay design is based on German engine. German engine powerpack consists of autotransmission gear, gearbox build into it. Is a very fine art. Its not just a matter of swap into it and it will work. A major redesign is needed. VT-4 engine is on the same route as Geman engine powerpack.

6TD-3 Is on the wrong path,A two-stroke engine is not a good choice
Not only that, it still rely on old design of just a propulsion system. Gearbox, transmission gear are still separated and independently.

Yeah that's why I'm asking...bcuz acquiring 300 VT4 seems odd(if PA is trying to streamline to just two types)...considering that there's AK1 being produced and AK2 in development. Perhaps this was a stop gap procurement.
Stop gap to counter what..the t90?
I dont see why PA is worried about t90 when it has alkhalid second iteration in production

Stop gap to counter what..the t90?
I dont see why PA is worried about t90 when it has alkhalid second iteration in production
Yeah that's why this purchase doesn't make sense to me either...but perhaps they know something we don't.

Back
Top Bottom