What's new

Pakistan Army's VT-4 Main Battle Tank | Updates & Discussions

These are Al-Khalid's... right?
UpGraded AK.

Point being that although VT-4 is close to Type-90-II and thus close to AK series in many ways, its imperative that Pakistan sticks to local production of AK series and further works ahead on AK-II, bringing AK-II from design board onto trials.

Iran Karrar MBT looks like T-90 and Zulfiqar III looks like Abrams. But looking similar doesnt mean they have similar capabilities. Similarly, VT-4 may seem the best choice looking at AK series, VT-4 and AK are so far, lighter than European and American MBTs. Pakistan should move towards Altay type design for future tanks. I do agree that AK/VT-4 and T-99 have good designs and Pakistan operates T-series of Russian and Chinese origin since 1960s, but its 2020 now and western designs and concepts should be welcomed, not just electronics.

UpGraded AK.

Point being that although VT-4 is close to Type-90-II and thus close to AK series in many ways, its imperative that Pakistan sticks to local production of AK series and further works ahead on AK-II, bringing AK-II from design board onto trials.

Iran Karrar MBT looks like T-90 and Zulfiqar III looks like Abrams. But looking similar doesnt mean they have similar capabilities. Similarly, VT-4 may seem the best choice looking at AK series, VT-4 and AK are so far, lighter than European and American MBTs. Pakistan should move towards Altay type design for future tanks. I do agree that AK/VT-4 and T-99 have good designs and Pakistan operates T-series of Russian and Chinese origin since 1960s, but its 2020 now and western designs and concepts should be welcomed, not just electronics.
I do agree about the local production(the rest of ur post discussing the similarities...I'm not knowledgeable enough so I won't even talk about that)...
PA needs to take the same approach as PAF and PN of in house development and production. Focus on AK 2 while making AK1...so this way in long term all the other types of tanks can be phased out(in due time) and everything can be streamlined to just having 2 types...a high/low mix. It would also keep the much needed money circulating within Pak's own economy rather than flowing out to some foreign country. Pak can engage Ukraine, South Korea, South Africa, Turkey, China, etc. for various technologies that go into making a tank...and make a beast of a tank for its own needs.

Last edited:
Without seriously enhanced air superiority, air support, anti-tank helicopter gunship support, anti-aircraft defences, it's kind of pointless to buy these MBTs right now. On a modern battlefield, the air force is of paramount importance. Focus must be in order of Air > Land > Sea > Space.

I do agree about the local production(the rest of ur post discussing the similarities...I'm not knowledgeable enough so I won't even talk about that)...
PA needs to take the same approach as PAF and PN of in house development and production. Focus on AK 2 while making AK1...so this way in long term all the other types of tanks can be phased out(in due time) and everything can be streamlined to just having 2 types...a high/low mix. It would also keep the much needed money circulating within Pak's own economy rather than flowing out to some foreign country. Pak can engage Ukraine, South Korea, South Africa, Turkey, China, etc. for various technologies that go into making a tank...and make a beast of a tank for its own needs.
Addition of T-80 if possible would have been suitable too, however commonality of MBT type is also important. This could be achieved after AK-II comes in regular service and all else phases out.

The AK-II is great, but it's not in the same league as VT-4 and T-90.
If Pakistan has money, then Leopard 2a7 is the ideal choice

Addition of T-80 if possible would have been suitable too, however commonality of MBT type is also important. This could be achieved after AK-II comes in regular service and all else phases out.

There seems to be so little information on the AK-II. And at the rate HIT produces, it will take 2 decades to get any serious numbers of AKIIs...

Would it not be good to supplement these with T-80Us with replaced diesel engines?

China has the largest industrial capacity in the world. Why not supplement our own production with purchases from China. We will never be able produce the Al-Khalid series in large enough quantities in a given time frame as China can produce VT-4. This approach would allow us to modernize our forces in the fastest way possible while still preserving our in house ability to produce tanks.

UpGraded AK.

Your analysis and spec are totally off. VT-4 is not another Type90-II. The chassis alone tells you it is totally a different type and not just evolve from Type90-II.

Chinese type 96 is evolve from Type90-II but Chinese Type 99 is another level. The chassis and engine layout are totally different. It's much bigger. VT-4 are evolve from Type 99 mbt.

The AK-II is great, but it's not in the same league as VT-4 and T-90.
If Pakistan has money, then Leopard 2a7 is the ideal choice
Not necessary. Leopard 2A7 is simply too heavy for Pakistan ground area and bridges. You will be surprised V-4 suit PA requirement even money is not an option.
There is reason why Arjun II is heavily criticised.

Chinese tanks are junk. Their engines are terrible. Bangladesh bought MBT-2000 that leaks when it rains. Just to give you an idea of the quality of garbage Norinco produces.

Your analysis and spec are totally off. VT-4 is not another Type90-II. The chassis alone tells you it is totally a different type and not just evolve from Type90-II.

Chinese type 96 is evolve from Type90-II but Chinese Type 99 is another level. The chassis and engine layout are totally different. It's much bigger. VT-4 are evolve from Type 99 mbt.
Read clearly, before replying. I didn't say "VT-4 is another type of Type-90 II".
Next time, ask, since you didn't understand.

There seems to be so little information on the AK-II. And at the rate HIT produces, it will take 2 decades to get any serious numbers of AKIIs...

Would it not be good to supplement these with T-80Us with replaced diesel engines?
I had this proposition before, but PA seems to have plans of its own

Chinese tanks are junk. Their engines are terrible. Bangladesh bought MBT-2000 that leaks when it rains. Just to give you an idea of the quality of garbage Norinco produces.

Lol.. I am sure your is a fake statement. Sounds like a paid one. BD must be dumb to signed a new deal for VT-5

Same as RTA and Nigeria. They must be too blind , right?

I had this proposition before, but PA seems to have plans of its own

This is what u wrote!
" VT-4 is close to Type-90-II "

When did I claim u mention VT-4 is another Type 90II? Next time ask if you didn't understand.

This is what u wrote!
" VT-4 is close to Type-90-II "
and you assumed that "close" means a variant ? English ugh.
well that's why i said, ask ! Don't assume.

Back
Top Bottom