What's new

Pakistan Army's VT-4 Main Battle Tank | Updates & Discussions

Strangely, despite similarities with the Russian 2A46Mxx, Chinese ZPT-98 maingun is a bit of a mix bag. While it offers better firepower and barrel life, chrome platting, is auto fretagged, extra chamber pressure, the barrel is not front removable due to fixed cradle assembly.

VT-4/ MBT 3000 with front removable barrel (probably HMC made).

VT4_MBT-min-750x552.jpg

Note: HMC made 125mm barrels are front removable, and feature double chrome platting as well. They seem to have borrowed the best features of both zpt-98 and KBA-3. (KBA-3 lacks chrome platting).

HMC made barrels are probably the best in the market and the French Blanks mated with Ukrainian engineering (correct me of i am wrong) provide it with amazing reliability.
Its well suited for Pakistan's environment and much better than the Chinese and Ukrainian offerings

HMC made barrels are probably the best in the market and the French Blanks mated with Ukrainian engineering (correct me of i am wrong) provide it with amazing reliability.
Its well suited for Pakistan's environment and much better than the Chinese and Ukrainian offerings
Blanks are local now. Peoples Steel Mills

I think VT-4 uses slightly shorter gun than ZPT-98. The same gun used in Type 96B so basically same as Russian 2A46 original design but with modern manufacturing material and techniques like electroslag remelting and so Russian direction developed 2A46M versions for their's and ZPT-98 is same gun just 2 length longer so a bit heavier also using some technology from Type 89's main gun. All are very old and not much better than original 2A46 just small improvements everywhere. Ammunition is actually more important area and so our current tanks cannot match tanks using Rheinmetal L55 like K-2 and Leopard 2A7. Our ammunition is mystery but your tests will reveal enough information compared to Russian and Ukrainian tanks except Russia's best one 2A82 and 2A83 which is crazy 152mm.

Chinese next generation tank development may totally change this autoloader style and definitely new guns maybe bigger than 125mm. For Indian army their best tank for armor is Arjun and T-90S. 125mm ZPT-98 and smaller version may be enough. Hopefully Pakistan army receives the best Chinese ammunition not older versions otherwise front cannot be penetrated. Better to just HJ missiles because definitely more effective and cheaper costs if Pakistan army wants to target tanks. For VT-4 I think is for offensive movements.
Pakistan uses its own ammo most local research as well as collaboration with Europeans and Koreans.

Blanks are local now. Peoples Steel Mills

Pakistan uses its own ammo most local research as well as collaboration with Europeans and Koreans.

IIRC, collaboration with Koreans (Poongsang) was for arty shells only.

Very high quality barrels utilizing blanks manufactured using ESR steel. it leaves the Russian 2A46M series behind in barrel life and reliability.

IIRC, collaboration with Koreans (Poongsang) was for arty shells only.

Very high quality barrels utilizing blanks manufactured using ESR steel. it leaves the Russian 2A46M series behind in barrel life and reliability.

And I believe in some aspects it perform better than the L/55 many western tanks use

And I believe in some aspects it perform better than the L/55 many western tanks use

Which aspects? I think only because 125mm to allow heavier shells and higher chamber pressure and muzzle velocity for similar rounds. That's it.

Strangely, despite similarities with the Russian 2A46Mxx, Chinese ZPT-98 maingun is a bit of a mix bag. While it offers better firepower and barrel life, chrome platting, is auto fretagged, extra chamber pressure, the barrel is not front removable due to fixed cradle assembly.

VT-4/ MBT 3000 with front removable barrel (probably HMC made).

VT4_MBT-min-750x552.jpg

Note: HMC made 125mm barrels are front removable, and feature double chrome platting as well. They seem to have borrowed the best features of both zpt-98 and KBA-3. (KBA-3 lacks chrome platting).
AND Tested to the extreme! I was present at one of the trials and the "torture" these were subjected to was immense. Still held their shape.
However please note that initially the order was of just 120 barrels and it was years back. Not sure if there were follow up orders for AK-I or others!

AND Tested to the extreme! I was present at one of the trials and the "torture" these were subjected to was immense. Still held their shape.
However please note that initially the order was of just 120 barrels and it was years back. Not sure if there were follow up orders for AK-I or others!
sir can u shed some light on ukrainian engines tot?
was it ever on the table

sir can u shed some light on ukrainian engines tot?
was it ever on the table
I don't have the details. However as a fan i think that if ToT was available it is criminal on our part not to go for it. If possible and in my power i would still for for a 800hp and 1300hp engine from a proven supplier like Ukraine.

Now this have been discussed in detail in the past and i have had long chats on this with @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Bilal Khan 777, the next MBT development by PA should be ARMATA style. A uniform platform with two engine variants that form the basis of multiple platforms like a tank, IFV with ATGM and AAM, recovery vehicle, a SPH etc etc. We have the engineering capability, we have off the shelf subsystems and locally produced ones too, what we need is a reliable engine to make it happen.

I don't have the details. However as a fan i think that if ToT was available it is criminal on our part not to go for it. If possible and in my power i would still for for a 800hp and 1300hp engine from a proven supplier like Ukraine.

Now this have been discussed in detail in the past and i have had long chats on this with @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Bilal Khan 777, the next MBT development by PA should be ARMATA style. A uniform platform with two engine variants that form the basis of multiple platforms like a tank, IFV with ATGM and AAM, recovery vehicle, a SPH etc etc. We have the engineering capability, we have off the shelf subsystems and locally produced ones too, what we need is a reliable engine to make it happen.
Pakistan Army:
What a very logical idea you have proposed.

We ain't gonna do it.

Pakistan Army:
What a very logical idea you have proposed.

We ain't gonna do it.
Not the whole army but especially HIT guys. Now again, i may have to fight @Dazzler on this but having observed them for years, the HIT people are perhaps the most "had haram" and "kaam chor" lot! Yes they have produced some goodies, some pretty excellent ones in fact but there is a potential of LOT MORE. Just a little bit of dedication and visions and HIT can not only become the true back bone of our army but be a major defence exporter. POF surpass them in exports and this alone should be enough to shame these guys!

Back
Top Bottom