What's new

Pakistan Army's T-129 ATAK Helicopter Deal | Updates & Discussions.

We have committed to Atak, We will remain committed, no matter what will be the outcome. Mark these words.

And hopefully Atak will be in Pakistan soon.
Yes, true. Even if Americans block the engine, Turkish engine will be ready in 2 years... and when you think, it would be better to have Turkish engine rather than american, in long run... it would be much more, sanctionproof.

TEI is develong a turboshaft engine family and first product of this family, TS-1400 engine, provides 1500hp power. This national engine is going to replace T-129 Atak’s CTS-800 engine having a power of 1350hp. TS-1400 engine will rotate the rotors of Gökbey utility helicopter in 2020 (Source:TEI). In recent days, TEI and Alp aviation signed a deal to produce gearbox of Gökbey/Atak/T-629 Atak+ which will be delivered in 2020. National gearbox will be the best optimised solution to deliver the power of TS-1400 to 5 blade rotors. Same national engine will power up T-629 attack helicopters as well. We need a few years to make our 5/6t helicopters fly with national powerpack solutions.

upload_2019-12-2_16-12-44.jpeg

Last edited:
Finally Good News

Presidency of Turkish Defense Industry Dr. During the İR Global Strategies Conference in the Defense and Aviation Industry Antalya held in Antalya, İsmail DEMİR made statements to the press members about the T-129 ATAK program in Pakistan.

DEMİR explained that the export permission from the USA for the engines of ATAK helicopters to be exported to Pakistan is continuing and said, “Bureaucratic procedures are continuing. We can't say there's a deliberate delay right now. Pakistan is a greater concern exports from Turkey. We'il wait and see the result. This kind of export permits related to ATAK engine, we do not see as clear as we want to export. The engine, which is being developed in TEI (TUSAŞ Motor Sanayii) and whose core is operated, will be used in ATAK and GÖKBEY. We'll be running this engine at the end of next year, but that doesn't mean it's gonna get stuck in the helicopter. Then there is a detailed test process. This process takes time no matter how much you speed up. Otherwise, we could say that we gave ATAK's engine at the end of next year, but it will take some more time considering these parameters. ”

thumbs_b_c_e49204bdb8f704b70a20879511cd5d55.jpg

ATAK Exports to Pakistan
between Turkey and Pakistan; 30 Turkish Aerospace Industries (TUSAS) production T-129 ATAK Attack and Tactical Reconnaissance Helicopter exports of $ 1.5 billion agreement, was signed in 2018. Within the scope of this acquisition, which is the biggest two export agreements made in one item in the history of Turkish Defense Industry, studies were started to obtain export permission from USA regarding the engines used in ATAK helicopters. It is estimated that the first ATAK helicopter will be delivered to Pakistan in 2020 if the relevant export permit is granted.

On the other hand; T-129 ATAK Attack and Tactical Reconnaissance Helicopter developed by TUSAŞ and TUSAŞ Motor Industry (TEI) is developing a national turbocharger engine called TS-1400 for use in GÖKBEY General Purpose Helicopter.

Besides, Pakistan and Turkey will supply the 30 T-129 ATAK Helicopter Attack as well as for use on other platforms in the inventory; L-UMTAS, UMTAS and OMTAS are planning to supply Roketsan type Anti-Tank Missiles.

https://www.savunmasanayist.com/pakistan-atak-programinda-son-durum-ne/

At worst, the US can only delay the ATAK (as Turkey can swap the CTS800 with either its own engine or one from Safran, either one will be ITAR-free). For Pakistan, a delay isn't necessarily bad either, at least given our financial situation today; a later ATAK delivery timeline will also mean a longer term / smaller payments.

I do question the susceptibility of the Atak Helicopter of being shot down by th YPG in Syria last year. What measures have Pakistan Army taken to ensure that the new gunships which Pakistan is to acquire, would have a robust defense system to avoid being shot down?

I do question the susceptibility of the Atak Helicopter of being shot down by th YPG in Syria last year. What measures have Pakistan Army taken to ensure that the new gunships which Pakistan is to acquire, would have a robust defense system to avoid being shot down?
In general lightweight attack helicopters will rely on their self-protection suites, which include flare dispensers and in some cases DIRCM. However, you're not going to get as much innate protection in a 5-ton helicopter like ATAK (or India's LUH) compared to a heavyweight like the Apache.

To me, it seems the PAA wants to use the ATAKs in high-altitude combat environments (a major part of the testing was in relation to that), while get a heavier attack helicopter for anti-armour ops. In terms of the latter, it would've gotten the AH-1Z, but CSF/FMF cuts shut that door, so an alternative is needed.

Personally, I'd try reviving the Rooivalk (i.e. Rooivalk Mk2). It's a rugged design meant to take on conventional and assymmetric threats alike. The airframe is just fine (based on the Puma), but you can swap out the engine for some newer platform, like the Safran Aneto (ITAR-free), and upgrade the electronics and weapons.

Best of all, South Africa was literally offering whoever co-funds the Mk2's development ToT, and I reckon we get the kind that allows us to fully maintain and repair our aircraft, and add new ones at-will.

In general lightweight attack helicopters will rely on their self-protection suites, which include flare dispensers and in some cases DIRCM. However, you're not going to get as much innate protection in a 5-ton helicopter like ATAK (or India's LUH) compared to a heavyweight like the Apache.

To me, it seems the PAA wants to use the ATAKs in high-altitude combat environments (a major part of the testing was in relation to that), while get a heavier attack helicopter for anti-armour ops. In terms of the latter, it would've gotten the AH-1Z, but CSF/FMF cuts shut that door, so an alternative is needed.

Personally, I'd try reviving the Rooivalk (i.e. Rooivalk Mk2). It's a rugged design meant to take on conventional and assymmetric threats alike. The airframe is just fine (based on the Puma), but you can swap out the engine for some newer platform, like the Safran Aneto (ITAR-free), and upgrade the electronics and weapons.

Best of all, South Africa was literally offering whoever co-funds the Mk2's development ToT, and I reckon we get the kind that allows us to fully maintain and repair our aircraft, and add new ones at-will.
So AH 1Zs are coming?

At worst, the US can only delay the ATAK (as Turkey can swap the CTS800 with either its own engine or one from Safran, either one will be ITAR-free). For Pakistan, a delay isn't necessarily bad either, at least given our financial situation today; a later ATAK delivery timeline will also mean a longer term / smaller payments.
Pak can't import engine by her helself form US???

Back
Top Bottom