What's new

Pakistan Army Officially Inducted LY-80 MR-SAM System

The armoured column is a big target for the enemy and this system has the ability to keep armour protected from all types of threats because it can fire on the move without ever stopping while other systems need to pause becoming stationary then fire the missile that is why I brought this up. this paired with something like Pantisir/korkut will keep threats at bay!

HQ-17/Tor does have optical targeting as well, a good all rounder!

For armored columns there is nothing better than Pantsir S2

Boss! ...reading your posts, you are a more Pakistani patriot than the Pakistanis themselves... :tup: to you.
How can you not support Pak???? My top romantic reasons:
1. Two nation theory: direct application of the Nizam-i Ilahi reserved for Roz-i Hashr in this Dunya.
2. Ayyildiz (Sitara ve Hilal) in green: the red one belongs to Turkey. Together they were the parts of the Coat of Arms of the Osmanli Saltanat.
3. National anthem: Saya-i Huda-i Zul Jelal.
4. Pak Ordu.
5. The last but not the least - Rahmetli Jinnah. What a statesman!!!! His ability to understand and implement Hakikat in the realm of Siyaset belongs only to the topmost Muslim leadership in the entire Islamic history. "Do you want a rich England under Germany or a poor England indpendent?" - not a rhetoric uttered by a Muslim leader in the last 200 years!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically a MANPAD missile paired to a small radar on the same vehicle.
FB-10 Mobile Air Defense Missile Weapon System.jpg

Very short range: Korkut will be tested in Pakistan
Short altitude: FM-90-Spada
Medium altitude: LY-80
Long Altitude: Maybe on desicion phase for FD-2000.

Pakistan has a good roadway in terms of SAM and aerial protection systems.

The Pak Army is using HQ-7/FM-90 for short-range air defence coverage. I don't think we'll see any other command line-of-sight missiles (e.g. HQ-17, TorM1, etc). But a short/medium-range active-homing SAM might be a possibility in a few years. Pakistan could try the NORINCO DK-10 (derived from SD-10).

There is not much big advantage using HQ-17 in Pakistan as the HQ-17 has only applied the TorM1 concept and adopted its vertical launch system, whereas the radar and fire control system were directly migrated from HQ-7B/FM-90. Pakistan already has FM-90.

Tor-M1
1zl849e.jpg

Please check the different search radar on HQ-17 below.

HQ-17
PGZ07_35mm_cannon_and_HQ17_surface-to-air_defense_missile_systems_in_service_with_Chinese_army_640_001.jpg

Please check the same FM-90/HQ-7B search radar as follows.

FM-90/HQ-7B
HongQi+7+%2528HQ-7%2529+FeiMeng+80+%2528FM-80%2529+export+FM-90+surface-to-air+missile+%2528SAM%2529+Crotale+air-defence+missile+BANGLADESH+CHINA+PLA+PLAAF+AIR+FROCE+%252811%2529.jpg

A system is composed of 3 batteries..

According to ALIT,

LY-80.png

@Bilal Khan (Quwa)

Does this mean 8 x 3 = 24 batteries for PA ?

Follow-on point about HQ-17. Its a radio command line-of-sight (CLOS) SAM guided by an AESA radar. That is actually very interesting, might actually be a good pick-up for the Pakistan Army to back armoured formations. They can try a custom version with back-up IIR SAMs attached to light armoured vehicles (but linked to the HQ-17's radar).

Is HQ-17 offered for export ?

Military Capabilities

Pakistan Army inducts Chinese-made LY-80 SAM system

Gabriel Dominguez, London - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly

13 March 2017

A launch vehicle for the Chinese-built LY-80 SAM system. Pakistan announced on 12 March that it had inducted the air defence system into its army.

The Pakistan Army has inducted the Chinese-built LY-80 self-propelled surface-to-air missile (SAM) system, according to a 12 March statement issued by Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), the media wing of the Pakistan Armed Forces.

General Qamar Javed Bajwa, the Pakistan Army's chief of staff, was quoted by ISPR as saying at the induction ceremony that the low-to-medium altitude air defence system is set to increase Pakistan's "response capability to current and emerging air defence threats".

The LY-80 is the export variant of the HQ-16 SAM system, which is used by China's People's Liberation Army.

The basic LY-80 unit consists of a command-and-control (C2) cell made up of a surveillance radar vehicle and a C2 vehicle and three firing batteries.

Each firing battery consists of a tracking and guidance radar vehicle and four vertical launchers each armed with a missile pack containing six launchers.

According to ALIT,

LY-80.png

@Bilal Khan (Quwa)

Does this mean 8 x 3 = 24 batteries for PA ?

Is HQ-17 offered for export ?
ALIT says that 16 launchers per system is the maximum possible composition. This means that a customer could have smaller HQ-16 systems with 1 or 2 batteries (of 4 launchers) instead of 4 batteries.

There is not much big advantage using HQ-17 in Pakistan as the HQ-17 has only applied the TorM1 concept and adopted its vertical launch system, whereas the radar and fire control system were directly migrated from HQ-7B/FM-90. Pakistan already has FM-90.

Tor-M1
1zl849e.jpg

Please check the different search radar on HQ-17 below.

HQ-17
PGZ07_35mm_cannon_and_HQ17_surface-to-air_defense_missile_systems_in_service_with_Chinese_army_640_001.jpg

Please check the same FM-90/HQ-7B search radar as follows.

FM-90/HQ-7B
HongQi+7+%2528HQ-7%2529+FeiMeng+80+%2528FM-80%2529+export+FM-90+surface-to-air+missile+%2528SAM%2529+Crotale+air-defence+missile+BANGLADESH+CHINA+PLA+PLAAF+AIR+FROCE+%252811%2529.jpg
Maybe down the line Pakistan could try fitting the FM-90's radar and missiles onto one platform.

Totally not happy with induction because we lack a long range state of the art air defence system like S 400 still army choosessame ranged weapons FM 90. HQ16. SPADA 2000. all are medium range airdefence system range on 45 km is not good enough

We should have bought long range air defence system we have enough medium range it is totally wasrlte of money and this LY 80 cannot destroy BALLISTIC missiles India is making its airdefence full with BARAK 8 S 400 Arrow missile defense system all capable of hitt8ng ballistic missile David's sling also in corner for India state of the art what we have nothing

So can it? Specially since after signing MTCR India can now get the increased range version of Brahmos from Russia.
Also what about Nibra, another one of their cruise missile that keeps on failing but eventually they will get it right and that will also add to the existing threat of Barhmos.
I'm afraid I don't have the complete information to comment on that. With BrahMos, detection is the easy part, however interception might be quite difficult. On the other hand with Nirbhay, detection is the vital and difficult area as interception of such a subsonic target is relatively easier.

ok you have a valid point. as for short/medium-range active-homing SAM could something like/equivalent to MBDA Starstreak fill that role?

Starstreak-2 will be good with Rapid fire mobile AAA system with capability to move with armor and capability to engage ground targets.

There are rumors that Pakistan is looking into Rapid Fire system

The armoured column is a big target for the enemy and this system has the ability to keep armour protected from all types of threats because it can fire on the move without ever stopping while other systems need to pause becoming stationary then fire the missile that is why I brought this up. this paired with something like Pantisir/korkut will keep threats at bay!

HQ-17/Tor does have optical targeting as well, a good all rounder!

Latest air defence system for moving armor is Pantsyr SM an evolution of Pantsyr-S1/2 with 40km engagement range.

http://www.janes.com/article/64663/russia-s-pantsyr-sm-air-defence-system-ready-in-two-years

ALIT says that 16 launchers per system is the maximum possible composition. This means that a customer could have smaller HQ-16 systems with 1 or 2 batteries (of 4 launchers) instead of 4 batteries.

According to ALIT website, each LY-80 system can have a minimum of 2 and maximum 4 batteries. As we know, Pakistan purchased 8 IBIS-150 radars in FY 2013-2014 and the LY-80 was purchased in two batches (3 batteries in FY 2013-14 and 6 batteries in FY 2014-15). So, total PA is getting 24 batteries (i.e. 8 systems with 3 batteries each). That means 24 x 4 x 6 = 576 missiles in ready-to-launch position. :-)

Back
Top Bottom