What's new

Pakistan Army Officially Inducted LY-80 MR-SAM System

Before induction of FM-90 & LY-80, Pak Army Air Defence relied on MANPADS & guns only. FM-90 is the first system that Pak Army got which gave them air defence capability in the beyond visual range area otherwise it was MANPADS only for them.

It was the Air Force which had in service with them the French Crotale SAM systems before anyone else and then the Aspide 2000 / Spada system.

Since PAF owns the majority of the air defence radars and has a command and control since many decades, i believe its their responsibility to have the Medium & Hi altitude SAM systems. Army should concentrate on point defence systems to protect its forward HQs & armor formations, and leave rest of the country to PAF.

Its wastage of resources, but if these systems are to be used for the protection of strategic assets then may be. But then again with long range precision weaponry coming into play and cruise missiles, effectiveness of such systems remain a question.
Even Air Defence systems used by Army and Navy are mainly controlled and managed by PAF Sir. These will also be managed by PAF

Officially stated range of LY-80 '70 KM'
LY-80 Range (e).jpg

So can it? Specially since after signing MTCR India can now get the increased range version of Brahmos from Russia.
Also what about Nibra, another one of their cruise missile that keeps on failing but eventually they will get it right and that will also add to the existing threat of Barhmos.
HQ-9 has a chance to defeat Barhmos. HQ-16 not much. Its more of a question of reaction time, HQ-16 isn't fast enough.

My main concern is that why is Army getting such a long range SAM system ? Why not PAF.

Is there coordination between Army & PAF so that in war by accident PAF aircraft is not shot down by mistake or PAF systems don't shoot down an army asset. Airforce has a very sophisticated radar network and command & control network, in my view such systems should have been the responsibility of PAF. Army should have FM-90 kind of systems for point defence, and PAF should get the medium & long range SAM systems & again i would say that Army & Airforce should have a very well thought out strategy & mechanisms in place so that tomorrow in war they don't shoot down each others assets. IFF systems should be placed in each assets and both forces systems should be able to talk between themselves.

PAF already have this system.

But @wanglaokan said the one Pakistan got is tailored made and goes up to 50kms. Also there is another theory as stated by @TaimiKhan that such system makes sense with PAF and not army as its the air force which is guardian of Pakistan airspace and also because they have such dense radar coverage with army only getting point defence system. But still its the army that has procured this system so can we assume that army has other roles in mind other than air defence?

This system will provide cover to important installations and troops on battlefield from aircrafts, gunships, standoff munition, with purchase of this PA now have 3 layer air defence available for battlefield.

Range of anti air missile can also depend upon altitude. It may have different range for different targets flying at different heights. So it really depends which target did the broucher was considering.

I am quite thankful of you for your valuable contribution .....

Well to be frank, never heard. Rather show me PAF & Army AD guys mixing together at such exercises or events. Had there been a joint command thing we would have seen them working together. If there is something then kindly show it.

Sir there is co-ordination between PAF and Army. I once asked a guy who served in Army (Air Defence) that why your radars are not always ON and he said we turn them on only when PAF notify us about a threat.

Pakistan was showing interest in Aster 30 and as for HQ-9 I think it would come soon if it's not already here. Pakistan was also looking for both Naval and Land version of latest South African system

Aster-30 block-1NT what Pakistan should look into with Aster-15 (latest block) or CAMM or CAMM-ER (which ever is better or available), those will add punch to current capabilities and also PN can also get those for ships and ground installations protection.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom