What's new

Pakistan And India-Water Disputes-News And Updates

Pakistan unlikely to make headway on water issue with India
NEW DELHI, February 24, 2010
SANDEEP DIKSHIT

India believes that Pakistan’s bid to hoist the water issue on the bilateral agenda would be misplaced because the Indus Water Treaty (IWT) has stood the test of time in resolving differences. IWT Commissioners have met over a 100 times since the treaty was signed half a century ago to exchange information and iron out irritants, which means that the mechanism has been working well.

And India should stop witholding .3 MAF of water in reservoirs in violation of the IWT which allows a maximum of about 1/10th this amount.

Water is not free. India should regulate and ration water to pakistan. 1m gallan or so water should release for each terrorist handed over to india.

:-) You wish... why don't you recommend that to your FO and see what they say... if they have half a spine they might publicly announce this wonderful policy you've suggested.

But coming back to reality, your government just came scurrying back and initiated peace talks without any change in Pakistan's position. That was the extent of their 'bold stand'.

:-) You wish... why don't you recommend that to your FO and see what they say... if they have half a spine they might publicly announce this wonderful policy you've suggested.

But coming back to reality, your government just came scurrying back and initiated peace talks without any change in Pakistan's position. That was the extent of their 'bold stand'.

I am not sure you know about it or not. Pakistan was begging for talk with india so india agreed finally. Please don't beat you chest for the talk. :hitwall:

I wish india implement river linkage and move water towards central india. There should be a systematic deprivation water implemented.

India should cripple pakistani agriculture based economy.

I am not sure you know about it or not. Pakistan was begging for talk with india so india agreed finally. Please don't beat you chest for the talk. :hitwall:

Ha ha so now you are inventing your own facts because you are not equipped to deal with reality... so be it!

The fact remains that India came running back to the talks table without any initiation from Pakistan. India realised that its policies had completed backfired... and I am not saying this. Your own strategists and journalists are.

Read:

The Hindu : Columns / Siddharth Varadarajan : Absence of dialogue is hurting India

And while India is requesting Pakistan to enter into a dialogue, every single day Pakistan is making clear that talks will only be held if everything is on the table, and that Pakistan will respond aggressively in the event of any deluded souls in India thinking that "Cold Start" and similar gibberish will be worth the paper it is printed on.

DAWN.COM | Front Page | Army ready to respond to misadventure: Kayani

I wish india implement river linkage and move water towards central india. There should be a systematic deprivation water implemented.

India should cripple pakistani agriculture based economy.

I guess your government doesn't give a ***'s behind for your "wishes" because this isn't happening. Keep wishing and having your heart broken by the government in New Delhi.

What's this now? The New Delhi government is pressing ahead with talks even when we've clearly said we will raise all issues, including Kashmir? Oh... another bit of disappointment for you!

India, Pakistan foreign secretaries to hold talks on Feb 25: Pakistan PMO - India - The Times of India

Why don't you travel to IoK and try to drink all the water in the western rivers. Take matters into your own hands since your government is completely ignoring your wishes!

Ha ha so now you are inventing your own facts because you are not equipped to deal with reality... so be it!

The fact remains that India came running back to the talks table without any initiation from Pakistan. India realised that its policies had completed backfired... and I am not saying this. Your own strategists and journalists are.

Read:

The Hindu : Columns / Siddharth Varadarajan : Absence of dialogue is hurting India

And while India is requesting Pakistan to enter into a dialogue, every single day Pakistan is making clear that talks will only be held if everything is on the table, and that Pakistan will respond aggressively in the event of any deluded souls in India thinking that "Cold Start" and similar gibberish will be worth the paper it is printed on.

DAWN.COM | Front Page | Army ready to respond to misadventure: Kayani

I guess your government doesn't give a ***'s behind for your "wishes" because this isn't happening. Keep wishing and having your heart broken by the government in New Delhi.

What's this now? The New Delhi government is pressing ahead with talks even when we've clearly said we will raise all issues, including Kashmir? Oh... another bit of disappointment for you!

India, Pakistan foreign secretaries to hold talks on Feb 25: Pakistan PMO - India - The Times of India

Why don't you travel to IoK and try to drink all the water in the western rivers. Take matters into your own hands since your government is completely ignoring your wishes!

Don't beg for dialogue with India: Hurriyat tells Pakistan

Geelani also said that Pakistan should not insist on resuming peace talks with India.

"Yes I have said that it (Pakistan) is begging for the dialogue at the doors of India, they should not do this and stick to their stand. The people of Jammu and Kashmir, who are pro-freedom, are intact on their stand, so we encourage Pakistan that they should not beg for dialogue with India," he added.

Pakistan awaits India’s response to request for dialogue: envoy

More at : Pakistan awaits India’s response to request for dialogue: envoy http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal...r-dialogue-envoy_100290033.html#ixzz0gPqDTZFZ

New Delhi, Dec 16 (IANS) Pakistan is waiting for India’s response to “repeated requests” for dialogue, says Pakistan High Commissioner Shahid Malik.
“It is unfortunate that India and Pakistan are at a stage where there is no dialogue,” Malik said at a book launch function here Tuesday evening.

More at : Pakistan awaits India’s response to request for dialogue: envoy http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal...r-dialogue-envoy_100290033.html#ixzz0gPqHT7T1

Last edited:

Geelani also said that Pakistan should not insist on resuming peace talks with India.

And Pakistan is not, as is demonstrated by the recent Indian diplomatic capitulation.

And since you love Hurriyat so much, here are some other statements from your Hurriyat heroes. How do you like them apples?

Pak flags hoisted in IHK; Hurriyat leader arrested - GEO.tv
Kashmir Uprising: Hurriyat for agitation against brutalities and land grabbing by army
Hurriyat Leader Mir Waiz: “Martial Law in Indian Occupied Kashmir” Rupee News
Kashmiri separatist leader condemns Indian reaction to OIC envoy appointment - People's Daily Online

“Hum Pakistani hain”: Syed Ali Gilani Kashmir Hurriyat leader Rupee News

Water is not free. India should regulate and ration water to pakistan. 1m gallan or so water should release for each terrorist handed over to india.

Watch ur mouth boi, this aint a shiv sena fan club state an argument or shut it

India offered talks but pakistan requested for talks. Show me any news where india requested for talks with pakistan. thats difference.

We indian don't care about gillani he is more pakistani than you.

/QUOTE]

You can raise anything you want. Not going to get you anywhere. If it has not gotten you anywhere in 62 years why do you think anyone in India cares about what you raise?

Peace and prosperity, my friend are not things only necessary for Indians. As a Pakistani, you should know that more than most. Nothing you and i say here or anywhere else is going to change Governmental positions.

Having said that, we need to seriously sit down and sort out this water issue. We need to get at the facts rather than throw angry accusations at each other. Whatever mechanism that exists now needs a quick revisit to see what changes needs to be done to make it work better. While i may not agree with Pakistanis over many things, water is not an issue that I want to see politicised.

You can raise anything you want. Not going to get you anywhere. If it has not gotten you anywhere in 62 years why do you think anyone in India cares about what you raise?

Well, we'll just have to wait and see, won't we. You speak of 62 years as if it is a very long period of time... for an issue as important as Kashmir, or as a period in the life of a nation, it is not very long. Let us see what the future has in store.

Having said that, we need to seriously sit down and sort out this water issue. We need to get at the facts rather than throw angry accusations at each other. Whatever mechanism that exists now needs a quick revisit to see what changes needs to be done to make it work better. While i may not agree with Pakistanis over many things, water is not an issue that I want to see politicised.

Agree with you here. Water should not be politicised and the IWT should not be violated by either side. The consequences thereof will be dire.

And India should stop witholding .3 MAF of water in reservoirs in violation of the IWT which allows a maximum of about 1/10th this amount.

Not a flame...But has this fact been established with evidence and what has been World Bank's reaction to this??

Agree with you here. Water should not be politicised and the IWT should not be violated by either side. The consequences thereof will be dire.

I normally would agree to this statement, but then terrorism should not be used as a state policy as well. And just like there is no evidence to convince the world of Pakistan sponsoring terrorism in India, there is no evidence (again to convince the world) about India violating IWT.

I dont think its about politicizing but more about bargaining chips. Just as Pakistan has been using the chip of militancy on the Kashmir issue, I think the GoI has started using the IWT to strengthen its bargaining position in talks with Pakistan. This way both have means of punishing the other covertly.

Well, we'll just have to wait and see, won't we. You speak of 62 years as if it is a very long period of time... for an issue as important as Kashmir, or as a period in the life of a nation, it is not very long. Let us see what the future has in store.

Ok. Then you should have no problem putting Kashmir on the back burner for the next 20 years while we try and sort out our other problems. What after all is 20 years in the life of a nation? The same period however is a large portion of your life and mine and surely we should at least spend it on better things rather than just holding on to hatred.

Lets not assume that the IWT is being violated. That is a claim that Pakistanis make for which there are no takers outside Pakistan. My point is that there might be other reasons for the lesser flow rather than the simplistic reasoning that India is violating IWT which if actually true would make the job of the Pakistani government that much easier. All they would have to do would be to ask for arbitration. The fact that they have not gone down that path leads me to believe that they are not as completely sure of their position as they would like people to believe.

Last edited:
Ok. Then you should have no problem putting Kashmir on the back burner for the next 20 years while we try and sort out our other problems. What after all is 20 years in the life of a nation? The same period however is a large portion of your life and mine and surely we should at least spend it on better things rather than just holding on to hatred.

Don't know why India would feel so threatened by talks on Kashmir. I don't quite understand "putting the issue on backburner"... You might see it differently, but the way we see it there are 600,000+ troops in Kashmir, it is the most highly militarized area on the planet, it is a disputed territory as recognized by the UN and the rest of the world, it is also a nuclear flashpoint, along with it being a place where every second day some child gets killed, or a protestor gets shot by police. It is not so simple to put an issue integral to millions of lives on the "backburner". That's very callous.

Kashmir will remain on the "front burner" until it is settled. You might think that settlement is far off, but again, let's just see what happens. Sometimes history surprises all of us as it unfolds.

Lets not assume that the IWT is being violated. That is a claim that Pakistanis make for which there are no takers outside Pakistan. My point is that there might be other reasons for the lesser flow rather than the simplistic reasoning that India is violating IWT which if actually true would make the job of the Pakistani government that much easier. All they would have to do would be to ask for arbitration. The fact that they have not gone down that path leads me to believe that they are not as completely sure of their position as they would like people to believe.

There is no reason to assume that the IWT is being violated, because we can measure > 0.3MAF being held back whereas the IWT allows for reservoirs an order of magnitude smaller than this.

Pakistan has raised the possibility of WB intervention and if the upcoming bilateral IWT talks are not successful, then I think that route will be taken. But before one does this, is it not better to get in the same room and talk through things? Perhaps there is a resolution? That's how I see Pakistan's delay in approaching the WB. There is no question of Pakistan's stance regarding the violation, or intent to approach the WB if things cannot be worked out bilaterally. This policy has been voiced publicly and repeated multiple times.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom