What's new

Pakistan Air Force Transport

jewsnews.jpg

up gradation plans for B/E models

We are still flying Daks but completely rebuilt and with turboprops and revised avionics/cockpit/navigation

80 yrs + and still going on......
That's great. nice pic

We are still flying Daks but completely rebuilt and with turboprops and revised avionics/cockpit/navigation

80 yrs + and still going on......

During my early days as an engineering student, even the handy calculators were rare. We used the “Slide rule” to calculate thickness of the plate & the strength of the materials, added 5% to account for the inaccuracy of the ‘slide rule’ and added another 10 to 20% as the ‘safety’ margin.

In my humble opinion, since the two American aircrafts, C-47 / Dakota /DC-3 and the Boeing B-52 were designed in the days before computers took over the design process; these aircraft were ‘over engineered’. This resulted in added cost but turned out machines that were rugged and solid as a rock. The result is evident from the fact that DC-3 introduced in 1936 is still in service in a few countries. I personally saw a DC-3 operated by Buffalo Airways of Canada a few years ago.

However as you correctly pointed out, DC-3 of today may outwardly look the same as the DC- 3 of the WW2, but internally nothing is the same. For example DC-3 was originally a piston engine aircraft but now fitted with the Turboprops and with modern avionics.

Similarly B-52 has also been heavily modernised. I would not be surprised if these ubiquitous birds are still flying in 2030.

During my early days as an engineering student, even the handy calculators were rare. We used the “Slide rule” to calculate thickness of the plate & the strength of the materials, added 5% to account for the inaccuracy of the ‘slide rule’ and added another 10 to 20% as the ‘safety’ margin.

In my humble opinion, since the two American aircrafts, C-47 / Dakota /DC-3 and the Boeing B-52 were designed in the days before computers took over the design process; these aircraft were ‘over engineered’. This resulted in added cost but turned out machines that were rugged and solid as a rock. The result is evident from the fact that DC-3 introduced in 1936 is still in service in a few countries. I personally saw a DC-3 operated by Buffalo Airways of Canada a few years ago.

However as you correctly pointed out, DC-3 of today may outwardly look the same as the DC- 3 of the WW2, but internally nothing is the same. For example DC-3 was originally a piston engine aircraft but now fitted with the Turboprops and with modern avionics.

Similarly B-52 has also been heavily modernised. I would not be surprised if these ubiquitous birds are still flying in 2030.
the daks gave us steller service and even against all odds we were flying missing deep into angola with them; on one occasion an rpg sent straight thru the fuselage and another one rpg 7 was still lodged in the tail section. then decision was made to upgrade these aircraft - rather rebuild them back to back with modern materials, engines etc; that gave them a brand new lease of life. I have seen documentaries where these are still flying as coaches in south america.
Yes, i was using slide rule in 80s' in high school; the margin of error was always there - calculators were not allowed in exam except log tables or slide rules.

Hi,

The upgraded B52's got a new 40-50 years lease on life---so some will see them till 2060

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom