What's new

Pakistan Air Force | News & Discussions.

1649956549843.png

1649956573815.png

1649956549843.png

1649956573815.png

Just a curious Question .. I will appreciate if any member is kind enough to reply.
Why did PAF did not go for Tornedo..?? It was a good platform at its time and I feel a perfect one to replace mirages...!!

Just a curious Question .. I will appreciate if any member is kind enough to reply.
Why did PAF did not go for Tornedo..?? It was a good platform at its time and I feel a perfect one to replace mirages...!!
Unsuitable platform which PAF did not want in the 70s - PAF wanted a multirole then. When it did want a strike platform then the M2k was there but that story didn’t play well

Unsuitable platform which PAF did not want in the 70s - PAF wanted a multirole then. When it did want a strike platform then the M2k was there but that story didn’t play well
The CAS at the time, ACM Pervaiz Mehdi Qureishi, said the PAF needed around 80 new fighters to make up for the loss of Peace Gate-III/IV. They chose the M2K/-5 around that time because it was a multi-role fighter, but the added strike capability was a huge benefit.

I think the only scenario where the PAF would've seriously considered the Tornado was if had gotten the Peace Gate III/IV F-16s. You have 100 F-16s (potentially more as ACM Qureishi said we had an option for 50 more aircraft) for multi-role and a few Tornado squadrons for the strike and maritime roles.

However, that likely wouldn't have happened because of our limited fiscal capacity. I'm sure the PAF would've preferred buying both the F-16 and A-7 Corsair II, but it could only pick one.

The CAS at the time, ACM Pervaiz Mehdi Qureishi, said the PAF needed around 80 new fighters to make up for the loss of Peace Gate-III/IV. They chose the M2K/-5 around that time because it was a multi-role fighter, but the added strike capability was a huge benefit.

I think the only scenario where the PAF would've seriously considered the Tornado was if had gotten the Peace Gate III/IV F-16s. You have 100 F-16s (potentially more as ACM Qureishi said we had an option for 50 more aircraft) for multi-role and a few Tornado squadrons for the strike and maritime roles.

However, that likely wouldn't have happened because of our limited fiscal capacity. I'm sure the PAF would've preferred buying both the F-16 and A-7 Corsair II, but it could only pick one.
Had Mirage F-1 been still in production post 1992 it would have been a good contender too. Its too much of a legacy fighter now but wonder why PAF never considered buying used M F1s while it was procuring used Mirage 3/5s since they had commonality and there are decently upgraded ones still flying so had good modernization potential.

Had Mirage F-1 been still in production post 1992 it would have been a good contender too. Its too much of a legacy fighter now but wonder why PAF never considered buying used M F1s while it was procuring used Mirage 3/5s since they had commonality and there are decently upgraded ones still flying so had good modernization potential.

Mirage F-1 would of been a good move, especially as we had all the weapons and equipment for Mirage III/5 and pilots who flew it for Qatar and Iraq. Could of also tried for some form of in house production. Ultimately though it came to late as already the F-16 was in USAF service by the F-1 reached French Air Force and Dassualt was already promoting the Mirage 2000.

Back
Top Bottom