What's new

Pakistan Air Force | News & Discussions.

Trainers to Pakistan

Turkey Planning to Donate 34 T-37 Jet Trainers to Pakistan

Posted on 20 August, 2015

Turkish Air Force Cessna T-37C 09838 ‘2-838′ could be one of the 34 of the type which Turkey plans to donate to Pakistan. Turkish Air Force

TURKEY IS planning to supply surplus 34 Cessna T-37 jet trainers to Pakistan free-of-charge. The Commander of the Turkish Air Force, General Abidin Unal, informed his counterpart in the Pakistan Air Force (PAF), Air Chief Marshal Sohail Aman, of the decision to donate the aircraft when they met recently, according to reports today, August 20, in the Pakistani media. These were reported as T-38s in the media, but PAF sources have confirmed that it is T-37s that are involved.

It is expected that they will be handed over before the year-end. Their acquisition without cost will reduce the financial burden on the PAF and meet its requirements for at least the next decade, according to PAF sources.

The Turkish Air Force has had 24 T-37Bs and 34 T-37Cs in storage for over three years since the type was grounded and effectively withdrawn from service following a crash on January 16, 2012, which killed both crew members. In view of the number to be transferred, it is assumed that it will be the T-37Cs that are involved in the transaction.

The PAF also operates both the T-37B and T-37C. The original 35 T-37Bs that were in PAF service have been withdrawn, but 40 more ex-USAF examples, were acquired, in two batches of 20, with deliveries beginning from around 2011. Around 27 T-37Cs also remain in PAF service from 40 originally acquired. AFD-Dave Allport
I think PAF loves T-37s as they still used them as IJT. Then PAF should focus on acquiring more and more T-37s as they are good for light strike roles too. I am sure 150++ of the upg

150++ of the upgraded T-37s would make a big difference from PAF operations in KPK-FATA.

PAF policies regarding training Its pilots are really confusing. T-37 is the most cost-inefficient trainer in the world, PAF has two separate setups for Basic Flying training, i.e AJTS, that too with a mixed fleet of K8 and K8P , then a mixed fleet of T-37 B and C, K8P is underpowered for the FCU roles, said by The current Chief himself, The best possible solution is what the PAF leadership has decided i guess, they know a lot more than i do, But i Wish the training could be more simplified, as was envisaged that K8 would replace T-37 in The BFT roles, and either a LIFT replaces the K8P in FCU or JF-17 two seat variant may have been used for that role, thus reducing extra costs due to the ever so notorious fuel inefficiency of the T-37 as compared to K-8, and also a homemade LIFT that wont need setting up a new maintenance infrastructure for a LIFT that we may import, This decision suggests that Our Air Force is really hand tied when it comes to Financial resources, to an extent that They are still sticking to the "scavenge grounded fleets to help save an obsolete fleet" theory, that is actually causing outdated training and a lot of expenditure

PAF policies regarding training Its pilots are really confusing. T-37 is the most cost-inefficient trainer in the world, PAF has two separate setups for Basic Flying training, i.e AJTS, that too with a mixed fleet of K8 and K8P , then a mixed fleet of T-37 B and C, K8P is underpowered for the FCU roles, said by The current Chief himself, The best possible solution is what the PAF leadership has decided i guess, they know a lot more than i do, But i Wish the training could be more simplified, as was envisaged that K8 would replace T-37 in The BFT roles, and either a LIFT replaces the K8P in FCU or JF-17 two seat variant may have been used for that role, thus reducing extra costs due to the ever so notorious fuel inefficiency of the T-37 as compared to K-8, and also a homemade LIFT that wont need setting up a new maintenance infrastructure for a LIFT that we may import, This decision suggests that Our Air Force is really hand tied when it comes to Financial resources, to an extent that They are still sticking to the "scavenge grounded fleets to help save an obsolete fleet" theory, that is actually causing outdated training and a lot of expenditure
I think we'll start seeing significant shifts when the two seat JF-17 is inducted. The K-8s involved in FCU can be reallocated for intermediate flying, and the T-37 will likely be replaced by some turboprop. So in the future it'd be a three step process: turboprop, jet acclamation on K-8, fighter conversion on JF-17.

I think we'll start seeing significant shifts when the two seat JF-17 is inducted. The K-8s involved in FCU can be reallocated for intermediate flying, and the T-37 will likely be replaced by some turboprop. So in the future it'd be a three step process: turboprop, jet acclamation on K-8, fighter conversion on JF-17.
I think instead of buying a separate turboprop, Mushak should be given a domestic avionics upgrade, K8P replaces T37 and JF-17 twin seat replaces K8P in FCU as a LIFT, save the trouble of buying new off the shelf planes as well as wasting money on fuel used by T-37, USAF has a similar structure, Its Cessna 172P for IFT, followed by T-6A texan 2 which is similar to K8 in capability, a bit less muscular than K8, then Its T-38 or T-1 depending upon what you are given, so we need to take a similar approach, Not to mention that JF-17 would be miles above the T-38 and K-8P would be miles above the T-6A and Mushak can't even be compared to a cessna, it would be a disgrace to the Mushak, Add that to our training standards..

The current regime is also 3 step at the academy

The current regime is three step but it has a weird lineup.. T 37 A and C, K-8 and K- 8p that's four different planes right there.. based in avionics and sub systems.. and we are buying more t 37 from.turkey those would be even more different in some aspects..

Just got this news from a friend....can anyone confirm this.

Pakistan Air Force Defence Day Flypast over Jinnah Park (F-9) Islamabad on September 6 from 1400-1700 hours, open to public.

AFG AF aircraft which defected to pakistan in the 80s at Peshawar AFB. The US was keen to evaluate these Soviet machines.

that Mig 21 present at PAF Museum karachi, and dont knew about the other plane.

I think PAF loves T-37s as they still used them as IJT. Then PAF should focus on acquiring more and more T-37s as they are good for light strike roles too. I am sure 150++ of the upg

150++ of the upgraded T-37s would make a big difference from PAF operations in KPK-FATA.

we need to get rid of these old 60's machines, world reaching beyond skies and we still searching for 60's!

Back
Top Bottom