What's new

Pakistan Air Force needs to replace 190 planes by 2020

Reference:
Pakistan Air Force needs to replace 190 planes by 2020 - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

WASHINGTON: Pakistan Air Force needs to retire 190-200 planes from its current fleet by 2020, senior officials told Dawn while commenting on a report that the country was seeking another batch of 10 F-16s from the United States.

Jane’s Defence Weekly reported this week that Pakistan would seek to purchase these additional planes from the United States if the current deal for eight of these fighter jets is successfully concluded.

Jane’s Defence Weekly reported that Pakistan is now interested in 10 additional 16C/D Block 52 multi-role fighters, which are equipped with precision strike capability. Pakistan says it needs this capability to reduce collateral damage in the war against terrorists who often hide among civilians.

A “decision in principle has been made to buy 10 more F-16s”, a senior Pakistani government official told Jane’s, while adding that “the exact timing to place an order is yet to be decided”.

“No, not yet,” said a senior defence official when asked if Pakistan indeed had decided to buy another batch of 10 F-16s from the United States. “But we do need to retire 190 planes by 2020. And we already looking for various options,” he added.

The official said that the strong resistance it faced in the US Congress for buying a small batch of eight planes was ‘discouraging.’ “That’s why we are looking at other options too, such as buying them from Russia or France.”

The official noted that while French planes were “very expensive, the Russians are not and they are equally good”.

In September last year, Russia offered to sell Su-35 planes to Pakistan, which are among the fifth generation aircraft.

Pakistani officials say that India’s defence purchases also influence their search for a matching technology. India is already working on a plan to replace its current fleet of planes with fifth generation aircraft by 2020, forcing Pakistan to do the same.

They say that while Pakistan is not looking to match the exact number of planes the Indians have but they would like to maintain a fleet of 350 to 400 aircraft.

Pakistani officials point out that they also have a large-scale defence collaboration with China, “which is a great source of strength” for the country.

The eight planes that Pakistan is buying from the United States include two single-seat F-16Cs and six twin-seat F-16Ds, along with associated equipment - for about $699 million.

The US Defence Security Cooperation Agency says that the proposed sale would “improve Pakistan’s capability to meet current and future security threats”.

These additional F-16 aircraft will facilitate operations in “all-weather, non-daylight environments, provide a self-defence/area-suppression capability, and enhance Pakistan’s ability to conduct counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism operations,” the agency said, adding, “This sale will increase the number of aircraft available to the Pakistan Air Force to sustain operations, meet monthly training requirements, and support transition training for pilots new to the Block 52.”

six+F-16+CD+Block+52%252B+fighter+jets.JPG

*Note F16 C/D is one of many platform that is being discussed

Other potential planes could be

> Gripen
> J11
> J10
> Rafale
> Sukhoi-35

we have around 70 Jf17s

another 80 JF17s (to make 150) are already planned (im sure more orders will follow)

we have ordered 8 new build F16s, another 10 new plus additional surplus F16s will be sourced over the next few years, we will have 110 to 120 additional planes jf17s or F16s by 2020, since we dont need to replace some of the old planes 1:1 the PAF has covered a large part of this 190 plane requirement

The JF17s will keep increasing & we will source F16s where we can until the Chinese 5th gen platform is more mature

JF 17 is the Best and Economical option with Pakistan, i think Pakistan need more Investment and research in this field, it will be much cheaper if they rely on home made fighterjet,

The Pakistan Air Force (PAF) plans to retire 190 fighter aircraft by 2020, according to comments attributed to an unnamed senior Pakistani defence official quoted in Pakistan's well-respected Dawn newspaper on 15 March. "We do need to retire 190 planes by 2020. And we are already looking for various options," the official told Dawn .

The comments mark the first time that a Pakistani defence official has revealed the total number of platforms that will retire in about five years from now, prompting the need for the PAF to find replacements. IHS Jane's understands that the platforms slated for retirement include older Delta-winged French Mirage III and Mirage 5 fighters as well as Chinese-manufactured F-7s.

PAF's plans to retire 190 fighters by 2020 prompt talk of replacements | IHS Jane's 360

PAF should renew its fleet because it is 21st century. We hope to view Heavy, Medium and light combat air craft in PAF and it is the need of time.

PAF should renew its fleet because it is 21st century. We hope to view Heavy, Medium and light combat air craft in PAF and it is the need of time.

For small Airforce, or Airforce will small budget, single Multirole Combat fighter plane have more advantage.
The Role based airforce will have to have big budget, because then the training, logistic, maintainace, will increase manifold.

For small Airforce, or Airforce will small budget, single Multirole Combat fighter plane have more advantage.
The Role based airforce will have to have big budget, because then the training, logistic, maintainace, will increase manifold.
they do plane to have 250 jf-17 which will replace the j-7s and mirage III which leaves about 80 mirage v's.
only recently the production of the jf-17 is to increase to 24 per year from pakistan will help and aid foriegn clients in the even of a priority delivery.

they do plane to have 250 jf-17 which will replace the j-7s and mirage III which leaves about 80 mirage v's.
only recently the production of the jf-17 is to increase to 24 per year from pakistan will help and aid foriegn clients in the even of a priority delivery.

If you want my view, that I would have equipped whole PAF with only one aircraft that is J-10 B/C.

Equiping a whole Air force with one aircraft is suicide. If you dont know what your talking about, its best you dont talk at all.

Brother I am only expressing my view. And the train have left the station because PAF is already committed to JF-17, so now no need for the argument.

What actually I was trying to say, was that, the J-10 is bigger, airframe, thus having more scope of improvement, with more superior, range, weapon carrying capability, and will be the PLAF backbone for a long time, and will get the future upgrades, which PAF could get the benifit without getting to wait, for the miniturising and JF-17 integration.

J-10 might look costlier than JF-17, but its a single engine, and sooner or later the China will make the engine reliable, till than Russina AL-31 engine are there, and is good design.

As far as single aircraft is considered, the Multirole combat aircraft can carry out multiple roles, so nothing to get angry, and I know what I am talking take the case of French Airforce --- single aircraft Airforce with Mirrage 2000 and now Rafale, and Turkish Airforce --- With F-16.

Brother I am only expressing my view. And the train have left the station because PAF is already committed to JF-17, so now no need for the argument.

What actually I was trying to say, was that, the J-10 is bigger, airframe, thus having more scope of improvement, with more superior, range, weapon carrying capability, and will be the PLAF backbone for a long time, and will get the future upgrades, which PAF could get the benifit without getting to wait, for the miniturising and JF-17 integration.

J-10 might look costlier than JF-17, but its a single engine, and sooner or later the China will make the engine reliable, till than Russina AL-31 engine are there, and is good design.

As far as single aircraft is considered, the Multirole combat aircraft can carry out multiple roles, so nothing to get angry, and I know what I am talking take the case of French Airforce --- single aircraft Airforce with Mirrage 2000 and now Rafale, and Turkish Airforce --- With F-16.
PAF is committed in improving JF-17; but it has stated it still looking for a heavy weight fighter. Thanks to several upgrades; the latest blocks of JF-17 is onpar with the F-16. JF-17 is maturing at a rapid pace; and I have no problem with it serving as our backbone.

Equiping a whole Air force with one aircraft is suicide. If you dont know what your talking about, its best you dont talk at all.

The heart of the air forces of Israel, Turkey, South Korea are F-16s. There is little firepower outside of the F-16s

Pakistan should go for 24-36 heavy platform fighter.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom