What's new

Pak Navy Should Reduce The # of Subs To Buy Type 054 Frigates

@Bilal Khan (Quwa) does Pakistan have a nuclear triad with its current naval fleet? Pakistan has successfully tested the Babur SLCM from the Agosta-90B and has the means of delivering nuclear armed missiles through air (Raad) and by land (Shaheen-III), right? That makes Pakistan a nuclear triad, capable of delivering a second strike?

Thanks
Not sure if the Agosta 90Bs have been primed fod the Babur SLCM yet.

likley true but question is where will the ships go than...one thing that is more important in US is jobs
so i will not be surpised if they end up being released

Bilal, beat me to it …. yes those swift ships were not even started to build yet so worries there we could see more Damen ships, Chinese or even Turkish to replace those 2 swift ships simply.

those swift ships were not even started to build yet so worries there we could see more Damen ships, Chinese or even Turkish to replace those 2 swift ships simply.

I think Swiftships 75m Swift corvettes weren't ordered at the first place, as there was no mention of them in former CNS Zakaullah's speech.
His speech included everything from Zarb, Harbah, Damen OPV 1900....frigates...helicopters...AIP equipped submarines.

In terms of FAC's, a lot remains to be done. There are just 4x FAC's (Jalalat & Jurrat class) with 2x2 AShM's, the Zarrar class ships (MRTP-33) are unarmed, awaiting installation of Harpoon for years now.

Azmat class has the size of corvette, 2 of them will have long range AShM/LACM with the installation of 2x3 Harbah.

Waiting for the day FAC-55's are ordered. :rolleyes1:

Last edited:
Bilal, beat me to it …. yes those swift ships were not even started to build yet so worries there we could see more Damen ships, Chinese or even Turkish to replace those 2 swift ships simply.
may be PN opt for 2 additional Meligim corvette

In general parlance, a corvette is a 1000 ton - 2500 ton warship. They are the last rated ships of a navy. Anything below them are not considered rated warships. FACs are generally below corvettes and smaller than 1000 tons.

Of course, these terms have been flexible and smaller vessels are sometimes labelled as corvettes. India has 300 ton corvettes and 3500 ton corvettes!!

But that to me is not a sensible practice, it just creates confusion. Very broadly:

Corvette 1000-2500 tons
Frigate 2500-5000 tons
Destroyer 5000-10000 tons
Cruisers 10000-20000 tons (Zumwalt, Type 55)
Battle-cruisers 20000-30000 tons (there is only 1 left operational, a second one being refurbished its Russian and nuclear propelled)

FAC for 500+ ton boats is increasingly an archaic term, and perhaps the naval sloop-of-war or simply, sloop can be brought back from retirement to describe these boats. While sloops have never been rated warships, they have always held greater dignity than otherwise. "Fast Attack Craft" is just not a dignified designation. Nor does it fit the Azmat class, which, frankly, isn't very fast by contemporary standards. Azmat really is a compromise between a FAC and a corvette. As are some of the Israeli boats, that are also best described as sloops.

No subs are main power of our navy and after hangoor retirement and exoansion of sea and enemies sub fleet we need more sub to counter enemy and frigates and destroyers has be bought separate air defence dedicated ships neede we need to think differently now we seen where our navy stands in kargil war even mig 21 can engage our atantiques and destroyed it because lack of range of cover to our aircrafts from SAM systems we need more powerful active navy modern navy we are going to be trade route giants connection giants we need securevsea from enemy blicking so we need modern systems for navy than army

Back
Top Bottom