What's new

Pak Amraams can be made ineffective: US assured Manohar Parrikar

I won't write off the possibility of the US making the AMRAAM ineffective.. but not directly as with a "kill switch".. most likely by giving some secrets of the missile to the Indian side.. because there is a precedent to it in the Falkland war where France had to give some secret ciphers of its deadly Exocet missiles to the UK.. so the possibility is there.. but then the US by doing so will give its secret to Russia too since there are Indian high ranking generals who are totally pro-Russians.. So it is a possibility but a very difficult decision..

Last edited:
I won't write off the possibility of the US making the AMRAAM ineffective.. but not directly as with a "kill switch".. but most likely by giving some secrets of the missile to the Indian side.. because there is a precedent to it in the Falkland war where France had to give some secret ciphers of its deadly Exocet missiles to the UK.. so the possibility is there.. but then the US by doing so will give its secret to Russia too since there are Indian high ranking generals who are totally pro-Russians.. So it is a possibility but a very difficult decision..
It is just that Pakistan should raise the voice effectively so that future buyers of US weapons think twice before getting into any contract with them.. specially Muslim countries in Middle East should think 70 times before they buy weapons from US..

It is just that Pakistan should raise the voice effectively so that future buyers of US weapons think twice before getting into any contract with them.. specially Muslim countries in Middle East should think 70 times before they buy weapons from US..
They know already, hence the diversifications of weapon sources by major Muslim nations including Pakistan..

USA won't be lying. That is why you got to "walk on two legs" and own every key offensive/defensive hardware/software you operate.

Article may be bull crap but the event history is a FACTS.
Mind it lately, i have seen Indians asking questions and exploring.
Things not works like this way dear... Even isrealis would stop buying Amricans weapons if they have any kind of switch on there jets or on weapons like we are talking about....

Article may be bull crap but the event history is a FACTS.
Mind it lately, i have seen Indians asking questions and exploring.
Its a hoax ... Kill switch is a possibility but disclosing and using it means end of US industry ...

What he is saying that US said that we have kill switch in F16s and its weapons at a time when they were considering to buy F16s ... I doubt that

Even if this is all Bull crap, my question is why take risk at all? What does the F-16 with Amraam offers that a JF-17 with SD-10 and in future if we buy J-10 with PL-15 wont? Taking such a huge risk with the security of one's country is beyond me.
The US won't risk the reputation of their entire Military Industrial Complex over trivial kill switches. Weapons platforms work as advertised; otherwise no one will buy them. OTOH; now we know that the Israeli EW suite didn't perform upto spec.
USAF gave India a false confidence boost in the Cope excercises by not utilising their AWACS platforms and other restrictive ROE's; and that put the USAF at a huge disadvantage which enabled the IAF to score kills.
In the engagement with PAF however; things turned out not the same. The MiG's tried out the same manouevers; conveniently forgetting that the sensor environment is not identical. PAF blew them out of the sky subsequently.

Its a hoax ... Kill switch is a possibility but disclosing and using it means end of US industry ...

What he is saying that US said that we have kill switch in F16s and its weapons at a time when they were considering to buy F16s ... I doubt that
100% agreed. The day they do something like this just imagine countries like Turkey, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, Whole Gulf, Egypt all of which operate US munitions will simply run for european or chinese equipment. US will go simply bankrupt. E.g A F-16 may cost $60 million but just the missiles it carry amount to $10 million (one aim120d is $3 million)

True. These things are technically possible but why would US risk its entire weapons industry for India by implementing a kill switch on weapons sold to Pakistan. Who will buy their weapons if these things exist.

Hundreds of $Billions are at stake in middle eastern sales to be possibly used in any conflict with Israel.

Remember US couldnt kill systems sold to Iranians.

I do suspect Israeli jammers have considerable expertise in negating Amraams but for this purpose PAF has SD-10 armed JF-17s. My own theory is PAF fired salvos of AMRAAMs at InAF jets with the aim as a denial weapon on engagements made on 26th, the tactic worked and InAF was forced to retreat from near Lahore and Bhawalpur. And learning from their effectiveness and intent to down their jets used JF-17s for primary the AA role on 27th.

PAF has the improved SD-10B variant and it is supposedly better than the AMRAAM C-5.

Last edited:
Why would the US help India disable F16s or AMRAAMs o_O what planet are you guys living on?

Anything like this would DESTROY US dominance over the international arms market. No one would buy from them again.

And why the hell would the Americans take such a risk for India? Do you think even the Indians would ever buy from the US again if they know theres a way for the weapons to be disabled or compromised? o_O

AMRAAM is still the best BVR AAM in South Asia. Despite what you have heard or believe, the Indians are more worried about the F16 and AMRAAM combo than anything else.

Why do you think they are desperate for Rafale at the moment, and not Su35 or some Israeli weaponry? Or why they did their absolute best to ensure PAF doesnt acquire more block 52s?

Think!!! :hitwall:

The US won't risk the reputation of their entire Military Industrial Complex over trivial kill switches. Weapons platforms work as advertised; otherwise no one will buy them. OTOH; now we know that the Israeli EW suite didn't perform upto spec.
USAF gave India a false confidence boost in the Cope excercises by not utilising their AWACS platforms and other restrictive ROE's; and that put the USAF at a huge disadvantage which enabled the IAF to score kills.
In the engagement with PAF however; things turned out not the same. The MiG's tried out the same manouevers; conveniently forgetting that the sensor environment is not identical. PAF blew them out of the sky subsequently.
I am all aware of the reputation argument being floated around and as i said in my opening sentence that even if its all bull crap, why take the risk at all? Now i am not implying that there are some kill switches but when it comes to the security of our country, why take risk at all? Even if that risk means 0.1%

AMRAAMS are unlikely to have kill switches. But F-16s can certainly have them. Degraded radar performance is certainly possible.

Thus the need to switch to local + Chinese platforms in the future.

Back
Top Bottom