What's new

PAF's possible answer to MRCA

Hi,
J-10b seems the best option but one can never predict anything with certainty, SAAB did mention recently that Pakistan could be the potential customer of Gripen NG so you never know :azn:
P.S i know Gripen is contender for the indian MMRCA deal so......... yeah i don't need those reality checks

Hi,
J-10b seems the best option but one can never predict anything with certainty, SAAB did mention recently that Pakistan could be the potential customer of Gripen NG so you never know :azn:
P.S i know Gripen is contender for the indian MMRCA deal so......... yeah i don't need those reality checks

I personally think Gripen is the best aircraft for PAF. Single engine, state of the art. My only gripe however is, it got components from both US and EU and therefore instead of having one master i.e. US, you will have to deal with many masters.

I personally think Gripen is the best aircraft for PAF. Single engine, state of the art. My only gripe however is, it got components from both US and EU and therefore instead of having one master i.e. US, you will have to deal with many masters.
The french are their best bet. no problems no issues...but right now our diplomatic leverage is higher....y don't pak buy....more Mirages :azn:

The french are their best bet. no problems no issues...but right now our diplomatic leverage is higher....y don't pak buy....more Mirages :azn:

More Mirages from where ?? WE have enough Mirages which include good numbers in good conditions from Libya and Australia, which went through ROSE upgrades and are one hell of machines.

Mirage 2000 does not now suits us, especially with F-16s coming and getting upgrades, JF-17s coming in while in few years time FC-20s would start coming in too.

By 2-15, except for ROSE upgraded Mirages, all others would be grounded and by 2017-18, even the ROSE upgraded ones would be phased out.

Gripen is even very difficult for PAF to purchase now, when its own fighter program and FC-20s are going to give dividends.

Yeah if they want to replace F-16s at one stage, may be then they think about Gripen, but for now, F-16s are staying and Gripen has no chance in near future, as its another Western platform with high risk of sanctions with it.

I would buy Gripen NG now only if i wanted to sink the thunder programme.We have a comparable plane with technology in the same range and whatever we dont have we can acquire in the next 3-5 yrs. Buying gripen now would give the world many wrong signals and would tentamount to political and strategic suicide. We are best off advancing our knowledge base and experience with the thunder and developing it, and then get FC20 in due course.
Araz

FC-20 will take on the MMRCA for sure and even after significant improvements we witnessed in j-10b, there is more that will be equipped on it to make it the desired FC-20 for PAF. It will be on par with blk 60 as this will fill the gap with IAF significantly, also AESA is already equipped on it as we speak and is being tested.

FC-20 will take on the MMRCA for sure and even after significant improvements we witnessed in j-10b, there is more that will be equipped on it to make it the desired FC-20 for PAF. It will be on par with blk 60 as this will fill the gap with IAF significantly, also AESA is already equipped on it as we speak and is being tested.

So as said on various defense news web sites the number of FC-20 may rise to 150 and we saw Defence minister Mukhtars statment on the mass production cerem.. talkin abt talks with china reguarding TOT of a new fighter jet...

Do u think the number of FC-20s will rise to tht number or iis t just talk nothin else

So as said on various defense news web sites the number of FC-20 may rise to 150 and we saw Defence minister Mukhtars statment on the mass production cerem.. talkin abt talks with china reguarding TOT of a new fighter jet...

Do u think the number of FC-20s will rise to tht number or iis t just talk nothin else

indeed the numbers will rise as IAF will be procuring more MKIs and 126 MMRCAs....so there is every reason to believe that PAF will add more claws to its punch by procuring more FC-20s....Thunder will be more of a revitalization of backbone....FC-20 will be a frontliner along with Falcons.....

hasnain0099...I've the feeling FC-20 that is being worked upon and would be available for the delivery in 2013/2015, seems the number would rise to 4 squadrons instead of 36, the time being spent is not for 36, AESA is ready or almost ready, this is most likely the PAF MRCA winner a win-win situation, hopes are high it would delivers close to blk 60 performance over all, exceeding blk 52+....

Last edited:
hasnain0099...I've the feeling FC-20 that is being worked upon and would be available for the delivery in 2013/2015, seems the number would rise to 4 squadrons instead of 36, the time being spent is not for 36, AESA is ready or almost ready, this is most likely the PAF MRCA winner a win-win situation, hopes are high it would delivers close to blk 60 performance over all, exceeding blk 52+....

well we can judge this with no problem....PAF provides an indirect benifit to China that it can test the plane against the most advanced jets available in Friendly AFs.......RSAF, UAEAF, TuAF, RMAF so it can test its toy against a wide and diverse opponents....so PAF will not only enhance FC-20's performance but also provide China with valuable input in fighter development

In millitary strategy tit for tat never works.. We have an example of USSR vs USA which has not achieved anything in arms race.
Clever strategy and counter balances help.

Lets first analyze what is MMRCA and its intended role during war.
A good counter balance could be

1.air defence batteries
2. Lightweight Jet-UAV armed with "fire & forget" anti-air missles
3. A new emerging concept is a destroyer missle cum jet-UAV flying at mach 2.0-2.5 speed. Its gives a very precise guided flying weapon and take on millitary jet. So its a UAV, No its a missle..hell no..its both. Also the ability to stealth it by having no external weapon payload.

4. launch and forget type of stealty UAV which can penetrate deep in enemy terriotry, drop bombs and return without risking human capital. Using mach 5-6 speeds as an advantage of counter measure evasion.

Last edited:
126 FC20 from china. NEW engin FROM eads the Euro fighter engine EJ200 with TVC which currently being offered to India for the Tejas mk2.

Inaddition i would add the American APG79 AESA radar to the FC20 after all PAKISTAN is a key ally on WOT. American radars means the option for the FC20 to be quipped with more AMRAAMS C7s BVR missles and the AIM9X WVR.

I WOULD LOOK TO license build jammers and ECM equipment currently on the F16/52 with turkish help who some people are key allys and the TURKS have far wider access to American technology than PAKISTAN

FC20 (Typhoon lookalike) euro fighter engine,, USA AESA radar from Super hornets apg79 and American BVRs and jammers.

deadly mix

In millitary strategy tit for tat never works.. We have an example of USSR vs USA which has not achieved anything in arms race.

Two corrections.
1.) It may or may not worked. There are examples where it has worked.
2.) US and USSR is a wrong example. It has almost always worked. The crumbling of the USSR is for many other reasons, not necessarily the arms race with the US.

Are there any operational or prototypes developed for this? I ask because I do not know.

3. A new emerging concept is a destroyer missle cum jet-UAV flying at mach 2.0-2.5 speed. Its gives a very precise guided flying weapon and take on millitary jet. So its a UAV, No its a missle..hell no..its both. Also the ability to stealth it by having no external weapon payload.
Same as previous, again because I honestly do not know about it.

4. launch and forget type of stealty UAV which can penetrate deep in enemy terriotry, drop bombs and return without risking human capital. Using mach 5-6 speeds as an advantage of counter measure evasion.

This point is invalid only because it does not counter the MRCA.

Regards,
Anoop

Are there any operational or prototypes developed for this? I ask because I do not know.

PAF and NESCOM are developing Burraq that will be armed with laser guided A2G missiles.

There are also possibilities from other countries like China or Turkey.

Same as previous, again because I honestly do not know about it.

Israel's HARPY does exactly that (except it isn't supersonic).

PAF and NESCOM are developing Burraq that will be armed with laser guided A2G missiles.

There are also possibilities from other countries like China or Turkey.

Israel's HARPY does exactly that (except it isn't supersonic).

Thank you. Though I hardly see them as counters if they are still in development.

Regards,
Anoop.

Back
Top Bottom