What's new

PAF & Rafale Story Will Not Go Away !

The training sorties and landings are at doha airbase on regular basis. Morning and Afternoon time, as I pass by Old Airport on way to work and back home i've seen them landing their regularly. Plus the sight of 2 or 4 m2k flying in formation above doha every once in a while early morning.
My info must be outdated. Since you are man on the ground you will definitely know better. Thank you for the update.

Pakistan airforce is blessed with exceptionally high calibre individuals, which matters more than any fancy toys IAF purchases. I am still bemused that IAF in all those decades of spankings by the PAF,never ever thought of investing more in Personnel skill developments.

One of the good gentlemen having a good sense of posting and knowledge. I remember him back then when we were about to interview and I had to take some leaves given my own reasons. He has been inactive since, 2018 and I really hope that he can make an appearance anytime soon. His observations and analysis will be really interesting given the circumstances & situation in current times.
Taygibay
@Taygibay
I distinctly remember him mentioning something about Qatari pilot training. Hope he comes back.

Doha: Qatar will establish a new airbase called “Tamim Airbase”, a senior Qatari Amiri Air Force official revealed.

Al Udeid Air Base will be expanded and the Doha Air Base will be developed to welcome new aircraft and systems that have been introduced to the air force service. This includes the French Rafale fighters, American F-15 fighters, Eurofighter Typhoon and other advanced aircraft.

This was disclosed by Maj Gen Ahmed Ibrahim Al-Malki, Deputy Commander of the Qatari Amiri Air Force, during an interview with “Al Talai" magazine published on Sunday by the Directorate of Moral Guidance in the Ministry of Defense.

https://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/article/27/08/2018/Qatar-to-establish-Tamim-Air-Base

Qatar Airforce will share the Udeid airbase with USAF
In those days, I used to see a lot of USAF Aircrafts there, especially C-130's & the C-17 Globemaster III's. A friend of mine from the US Army got stationed there after her time in Bagram Airfield.

Former PAF pilot and now an international security analyst Squadron Leader (R) Fahad Masood Analysing the Rafale and the IAF.

I might not have been able to read between the lines or words, but it seems few (or at least one) PAF pilots had been provided access to Rafale as early as the aircraft's flight trials.

I haven't found any official figures.
The 150km-200km range is based on the USAF's news.
The PL15's design goals are based on an exaggeration of AIM120d performance.

Interestingly, the USAF has not considered using the Meteor missile.I checked the explanation that the maximum range of the Meteor missile is for large, slow targets like the transport. The maximum range of the PL15 is for fighters. Therefore, a range of 300KM or even 400KM is a theoretical high-altitude ballistic mode that can only hit the transport aircraft.

None of this has been officially confirmed.
Good point, something I recall is that the ramjet engine is not good above 75k feet due to thin air above such levels. Theoretically then I guess a smaller (energy wise) standard rocket engine launched from 50k at a ballistic trajectory could go further.

Last edited:
I might not have been able to read between the lines or words, but it seems few (or at least one) PAF pilots had been provided access to Rafale as early as the aircraft's flight trials.
That and F3R are two different a/c's ?

I just want to add, as someone who has flown to every USAF, NATO, German, British Base(s) in Afghanistan from 2007 to 2014 - I have never seen a Rafale operate there.

I've seen pretty much everything from Reapers to even an F-18 Hornet with its hook down for landing in Kandahar (Emergency event with sparks), but never a Rafale - so not entirely sure if its even proven in Afghanistan as India Media claim.
Rafale is noted for its operations over Libya in large part; Opération Harmattan being the first in 2011. Latest was a mission in which some Turkish assets were struck in Al-Watiya base not long ago.

France have utilized these jets over Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan nevertheless.

7b5cf02a2834349b48772ad1deea15ce37d3bee6.jpg

This is a research paper on various air-to-air missiles.
A normal rocket engine has a terminal velocity of 312.4 m/s. (AIM-120)
The double pulse engine has a terminal velocity of 821.1 m/s.(PL15)But the average velocity is going to go down.
The Meteor missile uses a ramjet engine and its terminal velocity is lower than 312 m/s.

At the same time, we can see the importance of supersonic cruise. The 4gen fighter has no chance against the 5gen fighter with medium-range missiles.Stealth approach, missile launch, supersonic escape.

7b5cf02a2834349b48772ad1deea15ce37d3bee6.jpg

This is a research paper on various air-to-air missiles.
A normal rocket engine has a terminal velocity of 312.4 m/s. (AIM-120)
The double pulse engine has a terminal velocity of 821.1 m/s.(PL15)But the average velocity is going to go down.
The Meteor missile uses a ramjet engine and its terminal velocity is lower than 312 m/s.

At the same time, we can see the importance of supersonic cruise. The 4gen fighter has no chance against the 5gen fighter with medium-range missiles.Stealth approach, missile launch, supersonic escape.
The research paper is not visible.

At 26.50 KT is asked ''if PAF personal have acquainted with Qatari Rafales'' ?
He simply replies, can't answer that. !!!

There is something seriously wrong with you. Have you heard about National Security? Lets assume that PAF knows Rafale inside out, is this something to sing about on the internet? All this will do is make sure, PAF directly / indirectly faces more hurdle in collecting Intel.

@The Eagle @LeGenD @AgNoStiC MuSliM @PakSword @BHarwana In the interest of National Security, this thread should be deleted.

Thank You

There is something seriously wrong with you. Have you heard about National Security? Lets assume that PAF knows Rafale inside out, is this something to sing about on the internet? All this will do is make sure, PAF directly / indirectly faces more hurdle in collecting Intel.

@The Eagle @LeGenD @AgNoStiC MuSliM @PakSword @BHarwana In the interest of National Security, this thread should be deleted.

Thank You

Despite getting enjoyed by @Windjammer’s post, this one should have not been made. Agreed with you Staff should delete it ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom