What's new

PAF JF-17 in Farnborough Air Show 2010

C27J and A400M impressed me the most. Obviously the F-22 also every time it flies.

Farnborough Air Show 2010 (opening day)
very Nice Fixed Cam Video
Almost Fixed:azn:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am still here. :)

As always, I was outside the airshow but right next to the airstrip taking pictures of the flying display. As always the displays were brilliant.

I am most impressed by the big aircraft. The A380 always impresses me everytime it flies. The C27J and the C130J gave demonstrations of a tactical landing. The aircraft come in at a steep angle and land. We had the usual fighter planes and the italian trainer(I like it quiet a bit). The 787 was the last plane to fly. It was accompanied by 2 spitfires. The only issue was that noise made by the spitfires made it impossible to judge if the 787 was as quiet as it was expected to be. It didn't do any maneuvers like the A380. Hopefully we have a better display at the next air show. The 787 has left for Seattle today.

I was INSIDE the show next to the runway. After the Aerial Acrobats by the ex-Red Arrow Pilots in those grump Blue propeller aircraft, the best show was put on indeed by the order of superb aerial acrobats by F-22 Raptor (displayed its thrust vectoring ability by literally hovering vertical in the air), F-16, Eurofighter Typhoon (fully loaded with AB on), C130J (with its steep take-off and nose-dive landing), A380 (the engine back blow-out when the behemoth revved up for take-off was awesome), the Aramechi Trainer Jet and finally the C27J Spartan. The airshow itself was not well attended as it should have been. I guess sign of the times are catching up and hopefully we will have better response at the next show.

As I suspected, WMD-7 is the THIRD generation of Chinese targeting/navigation pod also operational on JH-7A and J-10 fighter aircraft......

2dsfk2h.jpg

That was the takeoff i was talking about(A400M) that thing is much bigger then a C-130J and that turn was crazy. It did it again today but it wasn't as impressive as the first one.

Jiggs. Did you see the C27J and the C130J land?? That was more impressive then the take off. The C27J especially had a steep angle of descent to do a tactical landing. The C130J also was very impressive especially since it is so much bigger. The C27J's angle of descent reminds me of the accident video someone posted on this thread earlier. That happens when a similar stunt is attempted.

The A440M looks very very nice especially when it does the roll.

The departure of the Boeing 787 as it leaves Farnborough with two Spitfires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jiggs. Did you see the C27J and the C130J land?? That was more impressive then the take off. The C27J especially had a steep angle of descent to do a tactical landing. The C130J also was very impressive especially since it is so much bigger. The C27J's angle of descent reminds me of the accident video someone posted on this thread earlier. That happens when a similar stunt is attempted.

The A440M looks very very nice especially when it does the roll.

I liked the C27J landing the most. the C-130J almost vertical take off was impressive too. I just wasn't expecting something as big as the A400M take off and turn like that. It does have the third most powerful turboprop engines ever produced though.

Chinese counter part of litenning 2, also known as K/PZS-01.....

5k5cpl.jpg

F-22 Raptor (displayed its thrust vectoring ability by literally hovering vertical in the air)

I agree. I have seen the F22 fly many times now in the last airshow as well as this one. Earlier, I was never impressed by it since all its moves appeared to be so slow. However when I watched it again today, I realised that it does all of this while being in total control and doesn't just throw itself into a loop. I guess its somewhat akin to try doing a backflip by leaning back slowly and totally in control instead of throwing yourself backwards like what the other planes seem to do when going into a loop. It was very very impressive. I like the way it just stops and goes stationery while pointing upwards.

I guess trade days are always low volume. However seeing the traffic outside, it didn't feel so. I am going on the public days when all the aircraft come out to play.

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 AM ----------

I hope the Red Arrows turn up tomorrow.

The majority of those thrust vectoring moves is to get its nose pointed for a second or two at the target so it get let rip a AIM-9 at it. Though alot of it is also just for show. All about superior low-speed and high angle-of-attack maneuverability. Post stall stuff. Not that a F-22 would ever need to get into WVR you wouldnt detect it on radar anyway so if it was in a combat most of the kills would be from BVR.

Last edited:
In all the excitement everybody seems to have forgotten the Chinese..my kudos to the Chinese for making what is appearing to be a great platform!!!

All the best to Pakistan and China!

P201007210901353257927383.jpg

A JF-17 of the Pakistani Air Force lands at Farnborough airport in Farnborough, southern England before the 2010 Farnborough International Airshow. (Xinhua Photo)

Some even say the JF-17 Thunder fighters were a major attraction of the Farnborough International Airshow, which ended here on Sunday.

"For me, they are the stars of Farnborough," said Piotr Abraszek, aviation editor of Warsaw-based magazine Nowa Technika Wojskowa, who said he had been following reports of the JF-17 for several years.

Also interested in the fighter was a Japanese air attache at the country's embassy here in London.

What interests him most about the aircraft?

"Quality and capability. And how it compares with other Asian aircraft," he responded.

The aircraft has been in development in one form or another since 1991. After several design concepts and name changes, it emerged in its present form.

Since acquiring the first two from China in July 2007, the Pakistani Air Force is now equipped with 14 JF-17s. It has now started its own assembly line, which saw the first aircraft roll out in November 2009.

Despite the early morning hour at the air show, and the fact the planes sit in a corner of the local airport where they are one display, dozens of people have already made their way to see the "mysterious" aircraft from Asia, even when their full-glass cockpits are still covered by canvas.

The two on display here were assembled in Pakistan, said Ali Saeed, the chief of the JF-17 engineering office of the PAF, which according to previous reports has requested as many as 250 of the aircraft from China.