PAF going for MI-35 attack helicopters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The Commander of Pakistan Air Force, Air Marshal Tahir Rafique Butt, visited Russia in August. He told Thenews.com.pk portal that "it was a great visit with a positive result, and we can expect closer cooperation with Russia in the field of defense, particularly air defense." According to experts, Pakistan is interested in buying Mi-35 attack helicopters, Mi-17 transport helicopters, engines for JF-17 program, missile defense systems, submarines and so on.

Pakistan can make Russia Queen of Asia - English pravda.ru

29345944DDs.jpg

like this one ?

Not possible.. you need complete infrastructure for any new equipment esp like Helicopter. Military use helos on daily bases and for the attack helicopters, you need complete infrastructure to repair/maintenance/parts etc btw War Time.

Pakistan Aviation also not familiar with Russian Attack helicopters. Also we don't have such huge money (Right now) to put on single Russian Heli sqr with infra. I think might be PA go for Mi17 but not Russian Attack heli.

Not possible.. you need complete infrastructure for any new equipment esp like Helicopter. Military use helos on daily bases and for the attack helicopters, you need complete infrastructure to repair/maintenance/parts etc btw War Time.

Pakistan Aviation also not familiar with Russian Attack helicopters. Also we don't have such huge money (Right now) to put on single Russian Heli sqr with infra. I think might be PA go for Mi17 but not Russian Attack heli.
If Not MI 35 than some one else but Pakistan needs to have some more squadron of attack helicopters soon to back its Army

The Mi-35 is in theory, the attack variant of Mi-17. The two helicopters share striking similarities and are simple to maintain like all Russian Defence Tech. I've seen the Mi-17 in action and it is a real workhorse, I'm sure the Mi-35 also got it's formidable reputation for a good reason. Though the pilots probably won't be too happy with the transition from a size zero beast (Cobra) to a flying ox with a machine gun (Mi-17). The helicopter is butt ugly but makes up for it with it's superior hit survivability and troop carrying capability. It's especially good LIC in FATA since the Mi-35 can fly a strafing pass to disperse the miscreants and then pick up stranded soldiers. Maybe this is what caught the PAF's eye, it would surely interest me.

PAF does not operate any attack helos. the PAA does.

Could they be considering setting up an attack helicopter wing?

What are you trying to imply? Pakistan should just keep using its ageing Cobras?

Relations between U.S and Pakistan has reached all time low. I don't remember the last time we got anything from the U.S. Technically, the attack helis are needed to fight against terrorism. I really don't see any new equipment from the military aid we receive. More or less what we have now are what we received in the 80s and 90s... How long can we wait? Some where down the road, changes will have to be made. I believe these are the options left: MI-35, T-129, and WZ-10.

What are you trying to imply? Pakistan should just keep using its ageing Cobras?

Relations between U.S and Pakistan has reached all time low. I don't remember the last time we got anything from the U.S. Technically, the attack helis are needed to fight against terrorism. I really don't see any new equipment from the military aid. More or less what we have now are what we received in the 80s and 90s... How long can we wait? I suggest we look ahead else where to a new era. I believe these are the options left: MI-35, T-129, and WZ-10

Mi-35 = the better option is Mi-28
T-129 is a italian machine with US powerplant (need US NoC)
WZ-10 has poweplant issue with dependability. no mass production as of now.

now what other options left?

The Mi-35 is in theory, the attack variant of Mi-17. The two helicopters share striking similarities and are simple to maintain like all Russian Defence Tech. I've seen the Mi-17 in action and it is a real workhorse, I'm sure the Mi-35 also got it's formidable reputation for a good reason. Though the pilots probably won't be too happy with the transition from a size zero beast (Cobra) to a flying ox with a machine gun (Mi-17). The helicopter is butt ugly but makes up for it with it's superior hit survivability and troop carrying capability. It's especially good LIC in FATA since the Mi-35 can fly a strafing pass to disperse the miscreants and then pick up stranded soldiers. Maybe this is what caught the PAF's eye, it would surely interest me.

not that i know of. why have a 'dual' approach.

Mi-35 = the better option is Mi-28
T-129 is a italian machine with US powerplant (need US NoC)
WZ-10 has poweplant issue with dependability. no mass production as of now.

now what other options left?

how about Z-9?

z-9g.jpg

Z-9WA%2BAttack%2BPeople%252527s%2BLiberation%2BArmy%2Bpla%2Bplaaf%2Bairforce%2Bgunship%2Bhelicopter%2B%2525286%252529.jpg

IF I'M NOT WRONG,z-9 didn't enter into mass production till now.Mi-35 is a good helo,but its an older platform and it is based on older soviet doctrine.Pakistan should go for newer platform as Spare parts may be become a problem in future.

Z-9s are being mass produced, i guess you were referring to Z-10s.

And guys, the news item is not referring to PAF interest in Mi-35, rather it says experts are of the opinion that Pakistan is interested in Mi-35, its not PAF which is interested.

Chinese are not far away from solving the engine issue with Z-10, with their joint collaboration in Z-15 helicopter, Chinese would have good know how of western engines which they already had by the way due to french tech transfer for the Z-9s & Z-8s.

I don't think Mi series are stealthy like Cobra not wise-tech but with dynamics/shape and maneuver, I think Mi is lacking. Also really big and easy to counter via rocket/hand launcher missiles.

Supra Cobra is the best option for PAA. Like we know that our relation with the US not going good so the better option is Turkish...

^^ More like this i think:

shind-2.jpg

It will not be PAF it will be PAA, they can't be sold to us and the only thing Russian can sell are Mi-17s to us. For Attack we will have Z-10Ps or ATAK ones and 30 of them are needed but the requirement is of 70+ of them.

mi35 ''the flying tank'' can take a lot of punishment from the ground -- this was proven in a-stan , probably what the army wants in north w-stan

It's a combo of both Huey [transport] and cobra [attack]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom