What's new

PAF gets new simulators for F-16C

Safriz

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
L-3 Link to Upgrade Pakistan Air Force F-16 Aircrew Training Devices January 23, 2012 | *********** L-3 Link Simulation & Training (L-3 Link) announced today that it has been awarded a contract modification from the U.S. Air Force to upgrade two Pakistan Air Force (PAF) F-16C Block 52 Aircrew Training Devices (ATDs) with the company’s new SimuSphere HD-9 visual system display. This award represents the first use of SimuSphere HD-9 on training devices that will be delivered to a foreign nation. L-3 Link’s SimuSphere HD-9, which incorporates the full capabilities of the company’s HD World integrated simulation product line, will provide PAF F-16 pilots with an increased level of tactical training realism. High-definition databases, image generators and the SimuSphere HD-9 visual display will combine to create a highly realistic and relevant training environment over a geo-specific visual system database of Pakistan. The F-16C Block 52 ATDs, scheduled for delivery in 2013, will be installed and networked at Shahbaz Air Base. “This award demonstrates the value that SimuSphere HD-9 will bring to military fast jet training,” said Leonard Genna, president of L-3 Link. “SimuSphere HD-9, combined with the trainers’ overall HD World capabilities, will allow Pakistan Air Force F-16 pilots to gain training credit equivalent to live training.” SimuSphere HD-9 also provides a low-cost upgrade to trainers currently integrated with L-3 Link’s SimuSphere visual displays, in addition to offering a cost-effective option for any fast jet simulator. The PAF’s F-16C Block 52 ATDs will support new pilot, pilot conversion and advanced skills training. The trainers will incorporate L-3 Link’s simulated Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System, enabling pilots to practice control of aircraft targeting systems and sensors. In addition, pilots will be able to wear their own night vision goggles when conducting simulated nighttime missions. The two F-16C Block 52 ATDs will be supported by one mission support system, and each simulator will also have a dedicated instructor/operator station. L-3 Link is the leading provider of F-16 simulators worldwide. Since the 1970s, the company has delivered approximately 140 F-16 training devices in support of the U.S. Air Force, Air National Guard and 10 foreign nations. L-3 Link Simulation & Training is a world leader in providing total training solutions for operators and maintainers across a wide range of military platforms and air traffic control systems. The company has delivered military training systems to customer locations throughout North America, Europe, Asia and the Pacific Rim. L-3 Link is headquartered in Arlington, Texas, with key bases of operation in Binghamton, N.Y.; Orlando, Fla.; Oklahoma City,

If I read correct, it is the USAF that has awarded the contract for up gradation of PAF ATD's.

Why did the USAF award the contract? Are the ATD's in USAF hands at the moment?

If I read correct, it is the USAF that has awarded the contract for up gradation of PAF ATD's.

I think money is being paid up through FMS. If it was Pak own's money, deal would have been going through the agency that deals with foreign sales

images

images

images

It is always the USAF that awards the contract to the respective entity, be it LM or L3 or Boeing, etc. USAF's program officers are involved anytime a country requests for defense related articles and procurement. Same goes for other branches of the US military. If this was for tanks, the US army's program officers would be involved. For F/A 18 or Subs or Ships, the USN's folks would be involved

Seem like we will have to be captives of this F16 program (and the US) for yet another decade or two at least, then some can argue that we have 4 and 5 decades of experience with this "system" and have developed the infrastructure that goes with this system, and it would be "irresponsible" to move on

These kinds of purchases will keep on taking place till we have F-16s in service. May it be bombs, simulators or pods. I wont be surprised if a new contract for DRFM comes up. The technique to make money is to avoid collective orders. As the room for bargaining is less as compared to a multi billion dollar contract.

These kinds of purchases will keep on taking place till we have F-16s in service. May it be bombs, simulators or pods. I wont be surprised if a new contract for DRFM comes up. The technique to make money is to avoid collective orders. As the room for bargaining is less as compared to a multi billion dollar contract.

Until the time chinese J-10B matures ot J-31 is available..PAF is stuck with F-16.

Until the time chinese J-10B matures ot J-31 is available..PAF is stuck with F-16.

I still cannot see the road to J-31. Are there any reports stating possible purchase of this jet?

And I dont think anything is wrong with F-16. We need just numbers. 63 F-16s alone cannot cater the defensive and offensive needs of PAF. The rest of the F-7PG's and Mirages are not any good at BVR or even WVR. Its time to replace all these rust buckets with the thunder asap. AESA's can be added later if they get available. It will be a piece of cake for PAC to do that kind of upgradation then.

New toys for old birds :P

But I guess that the F-16s are PAF's best aircraft at the momen until we are able to buy something better.
J-10s will be a good choice ... once it is ready. And the J-31 is nowhere in sight for production.

All foreign sales of military equipment out of USA are through the US government. That's why when F-16s were sold to countries like Pakistan, Egypt, Turkey, Israel etc, they were given a name, in case of Pakistan, the US government's codename was Peacegate.

Even they MLU and Falcon Star upgrades were awarded by US government to various contractors on behalf of Government of Pakistan. No wonder the government embargoed f-16s in 1990s...........if Pakistan had bought them directly from GD/Lockheed, we could have sued them for breach of contract.

US government involvement, thus ensures that they can embargo foreign weapons sales with changing environment.

All foreign sales of military equipment out of USA are through the US government. That's why when F-16s were sold to countries like Pakistan, Egypt, Turkey, Israel etc, they were given a name, in case of Pakistan, the US government's codename was Peacegate.

Even they MLU and Falcon Star upgrades were awarded by US government to various contractors on behalf of Government of Pakistan. No wonder the government embargoed f-16s in 1990s...........if Pakistan had bought them directly from GD/Lockheed, we could have sued them for breach of contract.

US government involvement, thus ensures that they can embargo foreign weapons sales with changing environment.

This phenomena is carried out by every state I guess. Even the Mercedes has refused the sale of new Mercedes Benz cars to the government of Iran due the pressure by the German government which is under pressure from the EU. Sounds very unfair!

This phenomena is carried out by every state I guess. Even the Mercedes has refused the sale of new Mercedes Benz cars to the government of Iran due the pressure by the German government which is under pressure from the EU. Sounds very unfair!

Mercedes is a different story. That's overall sanctions, in which any firm/corporation is unable to trade with an embargoed country. But in case of US weapons sales, it's always through US government, and hence they can inflict a heavy blow if embargoed. I mean, in a war time, what is your most concern? F-16s being embargoed or Mercedes?

Firms like HP, Dell, Microsoft are also barred from trading in Iran. UN only allows specific life saving drugs and equipment to be delivered to sanctioned nations.

It is unfair, but then it is the customer going to them for weapons. That's why China is a better option of Pakistan. As China develops their military in the next decade, they will induct new weapons, from Frigates and Destroyers to Fighter Aircraft and Maritime Patrol, and thus pakistan can benefit. A perfect example can be that of JF-17 and ZDK-03 AWACs where PAF got unlimited (limited by budget) opportunity to get what it wants and as it wants.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom