What's new

PA decides in favor of Navistar MaxxPro MRAP

@Chak Bamu : Is Lazar 2 compairable with M-113? they look good.

After watching both and reading your post, it seems both are needed for PA as lighter one can be used in low intensity conflict areas and heavier one in high intensity conflict areas, even they can complement each other in hostile areas, both will be good addition for conventional war fighting too, they will provide some protection in hot zones against IA thrust.

One question I have is, can Lazar series evolved like US Striker vehicles? they have many variants and are used as Integrated Battle Units, IA is also getting them.

As far as my opinion goes Lazar is better suited to offensive roles and can be customized with different kinda weapons and stuff. This truck, well.... if it's for free then it shouldn't bother us, plus the surplus metal can be melted and used for other stuff (like tanks and stuff if i am not mistaken). I really wish ToT with Lazar happens as it is a great multipurpose platform. But yeah, our soldiers need MRAPs, lot's of em' and soon!

As far as I am concerned Lazar 2 indicates future development of PA. M113 is a many decades old design and Lazar 2 must have been enough of an improvement for PA to take a serious look at it. I do believe that Lazar 2 has enough evolution potential for PA to move away from procuring any more American products. But it is equally probable that it could also be a ploy to get US to make a favorable pitch for providing own products. So, I can not say the extent to which PA is committed to Lazar 2. We have bought only 3 vehicles and that too ostensibly for evaluation.

You are right, we can have both Lazar 2 and MaxxPro, especially if one of them (MaxxPro) is almost free. But to tell you the truth, I do not much like MaxxPro. It is too bulky, too visible, and seems a bit unweildy on uneven and unpaved roads. But it is built with Biological, Nuclear, & Chemical warfare in mind, so it must have its strengths apart from being just an MRAP.

Pakistan Army unfortunately does not have a clear policy on what it wants! From Buraq to Lazar to MaxxPro shows an incredible confused mindset within the armed forces HQ! An MRAP is a vital piece of equipment with the same priority as perhaps an aircraft, tank or a ship. If we can manufacture with great zeal the latter why twiddle our thumbs with buying them from foreign sources (read US) and then forever crib about after sales service, lack of spares and vital equipment etc.

This is exactly what happens when there is a lack of vision & coordination amongst the top managers of the armed forces.

Pakistan Army unfortunately does not have a clear policy on what it wants! From Buraq to Lazar to MaxxPro shows an incredible confused mindset within the armed forces HQ! An MRAP is a vital piece of equipment with the same priority as perhaps an aircraft, tank or a ship. If we can manufacture with great zeal the latter why twiddle our thumbs with buying them from foreign sources (read US) and then forever crib about after sales service, lack of spares and vital equipment etc.

This is exactly what happens when there is a lack of vision & coordination amongst the top managers of the armed forces.

But the current COAS seems like a bloke with a sensible head on his shoulders ! :)

indeed these MARPs are badly needed. I am stating the obvious because our current toyota trucks are moving coffins.
these Vehicles will have huge upfront cost and a far more operational cost than the flimsy trucks but they will save lives of soldiers from all ranks and file.

the only likelihood of getting them is if USA gives them at a throw away price or free our country was bankrupt the day "democracy" returned to the country .. doubt if there is any cash left for military because since the "democracy", the military has been giving up on its own allocated funds to the government to run its affairs. something which the Yanks really didnt approve because those funds were provided to fight the terrorists

I would strongly advise against letting imagination run wild @Nishan_101. I can not say what PA would do with 6000 of these. We probably need no more than a few hundred. These are very costly to operate and are not friendly to roads and bridges. At 14+ tonnes these would be fairly difficult to move around. MRAPs have around 2 km / litre fuel consumption, so one does not have to be a rocket scientist to figure that these vehicles are not likely to see heavy usage.

We need to be judicious about their deployment, since these can easily be seen as 'reward' for 'services' rendered. These could become good targets for this reason, and we can not have that.

yes I agree with first part that they are expensive

re second part, it doesnt matter.. those animals who play football with the severed heads of our soldiers dont need any more motivation to kill or target us
these vehicles will save lives compared to the death traps we have in the shape of toyota trucks

yes I agree with first part that they are expensive

re second part, it doesnt matter.. those animals who play football with the severed heads of our soldiers dont need any more motivation to kill or target us
these vehicles will save lives compared to the death traps we have in the shape of toyota trucks

The few who practice barbarism in name of religion are sustained directly or indirectly by many people who subscribe to a certain world-view that views our relation with USA with suspicion and derision. The battle to win minds is to be fought among them by those who know how. My comment was in this context.

In any case we are going off-topic.

As I have pointed out Lazar 2 and MaxxPro are two very different vehicles with different usages. Lazar 2 is essentially an IFV with MRAP features. MaxxPro is essentially a suitable capsule sitting a top a truck chassis. One can not accuse PA of dithering upon a decision.

When USA is throwing away large number of MRAPs and even considering junking thousands of them, then we should not be surprised to be in position to receive a few of them. Moreover, our Army has probably already looked at the issues concerning spares and service. MRAP is not F-16. It is just a commercial product customized for Army usage. There are a number of ways to mitigate any spares shortage before it happens.

Our problem is with lack of cash, not lack of resolve.

some have already landed folks ;)

3cvf.jpg

5j5x.jpg

69yw.jpg

y8ya.jpg

Sounds unbelievable to me. No one is going to pay for maintaining these white elephants.

Though deliberations have been going on for quite sometime, PA has decided in favor of Navistar MaxxPro that is under heavy usage by US Army in Afghanistan. There are more than 8000 being used in Afghanistan as of now.

Navistar Defense - Navistar Defense MaxxPro MRAP - MRAP Vehicles - Military Vehicles
International MaxxPro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For a general introduction to MRAF (Mine Resistant Ambush Protected) vehicles, see: MRAP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can not disclose my source. But I am sure we shall start seeing these babies pretty soon. We need these in Tribal areas against TTP and in Karachi against TTP and Lyari gangs.

This shows that military cooperation between USA and Pakistan is still operational.

I expect Indian members here to raise questions, objections, and ridicule. I can not answer any of that and my only plea would be to wait and see.
i think it is really bad choice because lazar 2 is far more better.
capacity of MaxxPro: 3 crew+7 passenger, capacity of Lazar 2: 3 crew+9 passenger.
hp of MaxxPro: 375 , hp of Lazar 2: 500
weight of MaxxPro: 23.5 ton, weight of lazar 2: about 28 tons.

*** unique feature of Lazar 2: it features five bullet proof windows and firing ports on each side of the vehicle, as well as two on the rear of the vehicle. This allows the troops inside the vehicle to have a high situational awareness and to engage targets from inside the safety of the vehicle.
*** Price is reasonable.

#### Bangladesh is going for lazar 2 :D

Back
Top Bottom