What's new

Overcoming Turkey’s policy blunder concerning India

.... and not to forget the british Imperialist and intrigues in the monarchic Yard destroyed the Mughal Power in India ! The Case from which I'm speak will be quite different then the End Times of Mughal Empire. India probably Face in Future a Coalition between Turkic States and Pak !:cheers:

Umm no the mughuls were long defeated b4 the british ever stepped foot in India in fact places in Pakistan were under Sikh rule like Lahore. :agree:

Well that is between you and Pakistan if u wish to enter into a coalition who am I to complain its nothing to do what us.

Not near the level of Pakistan. India doesn't really get too much attention in Turkey. Does Turkey get any attention in India ?
Common people do not care much about Turkey. In the educated circles the general impression is that Turkey is on Pakistan's side, even before the January summit. This probably stems from Turkey's military help to Pakistan during the past conflicts with India. But people know Ataturk for his secular principles.

What does Bamiyan Buddha in afghanistan has to do with india, If taliban had not destroyed theses stautes no one in India would have known about it.

What does Bamiyan Buddha in afghanistan has to do with india, If taliban had not destroyed theses stautes no one in India would have known about it.

It shows the links Afganistan has with India going back thousands of years and yes we would have known about it as would all other Buddhist countries due to the Bamiyan Buddha being a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Common people do not care much about Turkey.

Really? That surprises me. Turkey is Europe's China, according to the Economist and has 7-8 times India's per capita income. It is also the second largest military in NATO, the largest standing army in Europe and a country that until recently, commanded an empire six times larger than anyone in India ever did. I think it would be very imprudent and unintelligent to not "care much" about Turkey.

Turkey’s economy is dynamic and currently supported by strong underlying trends that point to long-term growth ahead. Its economy is the sixth largest in Europe and in the top 20 worldwide with a 2009 GDP of $615 billion. Turkey’s per capita GDP of just over $8,700 is greater than any of the BRICs. Industrial output leaped by 21% in the 12 months ending March 2010, inflation fell to 6.1% last year from double-digit levels a year before, and public debt is less than 40% of GDP.

The Next Big Emerging Markets? - Precious Metals - Resource Investor

In terms of future predictions, George Friedman of Stratfor has this to say (Turkey features as a major world power in his new book. India, interestingly, does not.)

Stratfor?s George Friedman: Long Turkey, Short China

IndexUniverse.com (IU.com): You and I have discussed Turkey in the past as one of your favorite areas of the world for investment. Why is that, and is it still true?

George Friedman (Friedman): Turkey is an island of stability in a region of chaos. To the northeast, you have the Caucasus, with Georgia and Armenia; to the northwest, you have Bulgaria; to the south, Iraq and Syria; and to the east, Iran. Of all these countries, Turkey has the largest economy. It is the 17th-largest economy in the world.

It also has by far the largest and most capable army in Europe, possibly barring the British—and only possibly. Turkey has a substantial internal market and a substantial middle class. It has interesting wage differentials [against other nations], and a lot of American companies are looking at it as a place to go, not only to produce products, but to sell them. And of course, it is perfectly located strategically, with easy access to Europe, the Middle East and Eurasia.

It has weaknesses, such as the political split between the Islamists and the secularists. But radical Islam is not a major issue there, despite occasional terrorism. The issues in the southeastern part of the country with the Kurds are quite serious, but they don’t threaten the broader security of the nation.

Visitors to Istanbul will be stunned by the amount of economic activity. There is massive construction. And the banking industry is quite conservative, so it’s done well during the crisis. The Turks looked at some of the alleged sophistication in the banking system in Europe, and they were not impressed, so they decided to keep things simple.

IU.com: It may be an island of stability, but it’s surrounded by a sea of trouble. Shouldn’t we be concerned about having neighbors like Iran or (more distantly) Russia?

Friedman: Turkey is so strong militarily that neither the Russians nor the Iranians would dream of messing with it. In fact, both countries are very solicitous of Turkey and make sure they don’t alienate it. You’re really looking at the 600-lb. gorilla of the region.

IU.com: Then why is it overlooked by the investment media? You never hear about Turkey.

Friedman: The American media is not very good at covering the world. They operate out of stereotypes that are 20 years out of date. For the same reason that the financial media wasn’t very good at covering the financial crisis, they aren’t good at covering this.

Turkey does matter they are part of NATO and has strong links with EU not to mention its growing economy but I still feel it was a mistake not inviting India to the talks considering India is a player in the region.

Really? That surprises me. Turkey is Europe's China, according to the Economist and has 7-8 times India's per capita income. It is also the second largest military in NATO, the largest standing army in Europe and a country that until recently, commanded an empire six times larger than anyone in India ever did. I think it would be very imprudent and unintelligent to not "care much" about Turkey.

Turkey’s economy is dynamic and currently supported by strong underlying trends that point to long-term growth ahead. Its economy is the sixth largest in Europe and in the top 20 worldwide with a 2009 GDP of $615 billion. Turkey’s per capita GDP of just over $8,700 is greater than any of the BRICs. Industrial output leaped by 21% in the 12 months ending March 2010, inflation fell to 6.1% last year from double-digit levels a year before, and public debt is less than 40% of GDP.

The Next Big Emerging Markets? - Precious Metals - Resource Investor

In terms of future predictions, George Friedman of Stratfor has this to say (Turkey features as a major world power in his new book. India, interestingly, does not.)

Stratfor?s George Friedman: Long Turkey, Short China

IndexUniverse.com (IU.com): You and I have discussed Turkey in the past as one of your favorite areas of the world for investment. Why is that, and is it still true?

George Friedman (Friedman): Turkey is an island of stability in a region of chaos. To the northeast, you have the Caucasus, with Georgia and Armenia; to the northwest, you have Bulgaria; to the south, Iraq and Syria; and to the east, Iran. Of all these countries, Turkey has the largest economy. It is the 17th-largest economy in the world.

It also has by far the largest and most capable army in Europe, possibly barring the British—and only possibly. Turkey has a substantial internal market and a substantial middle class. It has interesting wage differentials [against other nations], and a lot of American companies are looking at it as a place to go, not only to produce products, but to sell them. And of course, it is perfectly located strategically, with easy access to Europe, the Middle East and Eurasia.

It has weaknesses, such as the political split between the Islamists and the secularists. But radical Islam is not a major issue there, despite occasional terrorism. The issues in the southeastern part of the country with the Kurds are quite serious, but they don’t threaten the broader security of the nation.

Visitors to Istanbul will be stunned by the amount of economic activity. There is massive construction. And the banking industry is quite conservative, so it’s done well during the crisis. The Turks looked at some of the alleged sophistication in the banking system in Europe, and they were not impressed, so they decided to keep things simple.

IU.com: It may be an island of stability, but it’s surrounded by a sea of trouble. Shouldn’t we be concerned about having neighbors like Iran or (more distantly) Russia?

Friedman: Turkey is so strong militarily that neither the Russians nor the Iranians would dream of messing with it. In fact, both countries are very solicitous of Turkey and make sure they don’t alienate it. You’re really looking at the 600-lb. gorilla of the region.

IU.com: Then why is it overlooked by the investment media? You never hear about Turkey.

Friedman: The American media is not very good at covering the world. They operate out of stereotypes that are 20 years out of date. For the same reason that the financial media wasn’t very good at covering the financial crisis, they aren’t good at covering this.

Good article! :tup:

He probably meant common Indians are oblivious about Turkey.

Which has probably to do with the limited engagement we have with Turkey in economy or cultural.

Though there is huge potential for expansion.

India shares no Border with Afghanistan and there are no real cultural and historic Links between India and Afghanistan. In the History Afghanistan were ruled by two Turkic Empires, the Timurids and Mughals. In the 1930's the new founde'd Turkey kept close Relations to Afghanistan and helped the to built a Military Academy.

Actually there are more than two turkic empires ruling afghanistan, The ghaznavids were turks not afghan, Although the Ghorid dynasty founder was not turk but his slave soldiers were mostly turks and they are also known as turkic empire. So turkic mongol empire ruled Afghanistan for more than 6 centuries.
So much for the graveyard of empires.
I fail to find any historical or cultural link btw Afghanistan and India except few decades of pushtun rules over india.

I don't really know much about Turkey apart from the wonderfully delicious chicken kebabs they make and I would assume it's the same in Turkey. ie. They do not know much about India apart from our food.

@TechLahore: I was talking about common people in India. That is what Jiggs asked about.

I fail to find any historical or cultural link btw Afghanistan and India except few decades of pushtun rules over india.

We were referring to Pre-Islamic era,

Maurayan empire

Indo-Greek,Indo-Sythician,Indo-Parthian,Indo-Sassanid kingdoms also the Kushan empire.

Even though the Kushans were only culturally Indian.

Pakistan applied no pressure on Turkiye. It was their own initiative.

Pakistan applied no pressure on Turkiye when they bought dhruv helicopters. Turks ordered no more on their own initiative (they were lemons).

I think this is more of a media attempt to make a jab at the AKP administration than anything else. And the author is more than within his right to do so. However, it is a mistake to think Pakistan applied ''pressure'' at all.

Our relationship with Turks is not a transactional one, or one based on contingencies of any kind. Our relations are historic and based on mutual trust and respect.

It does go without saying that Turkiye supports Pakistan's stance on Kashmir disputed territory, as we wholeheartedly support Turkiye stance on Cyprus disputed territory.

p.s. the indian embassy in Ankara is located on Jinnah boulevard (Cinnah Cadessi).

Oh the irony! :):)

Just wanted to say tht if indians think they turkiye will leave Pakistan completely or back off from supporting Pak on Kashmir issue just for some economic oppurtunities then i dont think so.

Nobody is asking anybody to 'abandon' anybody else. The article points to a lack of foresight in not inviting India to Afghanistan summit. It also gives Saudi Arabia as an example of a country invited to thee summit as against India. The concern expressed was just that Turkey deal with both countries(IN and PK) with equanimity and let them sort out their problems among themselves especially. Rather than this approach the present regime appears to be loosing the credentials as a neutral country. This is the case especially because the cause of Afghanistan is much larger than some unverified 'concerns' of a fourth nation.

I don't really know much about Turkey apart from the wonderfully delicious chicken kebabs they make and I would assume it's the same in Turkey. ie. They do not know much about India apart from our food.

'baharat' in Turkish means "spice" :lol::lol::lol:

fact of the day

We were referring to Pre-Islamic era,

Maurayan empire

Indo-Greek,Indo-Sythician kingdoms also the Kushan empire.

Even though the Kushans were only culturally Indian.

Ok, i know all these empires except indo greeks ruled parts of present day India but none of these empires were indigenous indians. Mauryan Empire was founded by Chandragupta Maurya who was from taxila, Punjab

Indo-Greek empire was restricted to north west of subcontinent only

Indo-Sythician were also central asians and ruled from Taxilla
Kushans were from central asians Yuezhi tribes and ruled from peshawar and taxilla.

Back
Top Bottom