What's new

Overcoming Turkey’s policy blunder concerning India

Ejaz, I think you're way off here. Turkey has revamped foreign policy a couple of times since the end of the cold war. Give them a bit of credit for not living in the past. It was not policy wonks in Delhi who shunned Indian participation at the summit in question. Turkey kept india out. Better to face facts than to conjure esoteric explanations not grounded in reality.

the thought that turkey ignores India is foolish.they have ties with Pakistan which is billion dollar economy. why they will not have ties with India which is trillion dollar economy!

Ejaz, I think you're way off here. Turkey has revamped foreign policy a couple of times since the end of the cold war. Give them a bit of credit for not living in the past. It was not policy wonks in Delhi who shunned Indian participation at the summit in question. Turkey kept india out. Better to face facts than to conjure esoteric explanations not grounded in reality.

Sorry but my post actually gives credit to the change of Turkish foreign policy post Cold War. Ofcourse the change has taken place over two decades. I don't understand how you took my post as NOT giving them and other countries credit.

I was infact criticising the US for still living with a Cold War mindset on many issues at least until the Bush administration.

Are you suggesting that the Cold war alliances and military pacts like CENTO and SEATO played no part in cementing military co-operation between Pakistan and Turkey? I am referring to relations in the last 50-60 years and the Cold War played a dominant role in shaping south asia relations and relations between member states. This is the ground relaties.

The Cold war background explains why Egypt-Pakistan or Syria-Pakistan relations are still cool, while Pakistani armed forces were stationed in Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Turkey and engaged in close military and intelligence co-operation. That Pakistani Armed forces helped Jordanian army supress the leftist PLO led rebellion. That Jordan and Iran under the Shah passed on fighter aircrafts to Pakistan during its wars. That Israel was passing soviet arms shipment to the leftist PLO to Pakistan via the US. That Turkey, Saudi Arabia, US and otehrs would support the UN referendum on Kashmir until the last decade. While Syria, Egypt under Nasser and the PLO under Yassir Arafat held very pro-India views. That Indian Air Force was training Mig Pilots in Iraq under the Baathlist led regime and Saddam anounced his "unwavering support" to India over Kashmir and had excellent ties overall.

Since the 1990s the scenario is changing and all countries are revamping the FPs, and Turkey deserves full credit for that as do other nations that are doing so.

Last edited:
the thought that turkey ignores India is foolish.they have ties with Pakistan which is billion dollar economy. why they will not have ties with India which is trillion dollar economy!

India shares no Border with Afghanistan and there are no real cultural and historic Links between India and Afghanistan. In the History Afghanistan were ruled by two Turkic Empires, the Timurids and Mughals. In the 1930's the new founde'd Turkey kept close Relations to Afghanistan and helped the to built a Military Academy.

Regarding Economic Cooperation, Turkey and India allready strengthen there Economic Copperation. In the first Quarter 2010 President Gül allready visited India and signed many Agreements for Economic Cooperation. We can cooperate in economic Matters but we will never cooperate in strategic Matters, because India is seeking Dominance in the Region, including in Turkeys Backyard Central Asia !

That means our Relations are compareable with US and China !:azn:

India shares no Border with Afghanistan and there are no real cultural and historic Links between India and Afghanistan. In the History Afghanistan were ruled by two Turkic Empires, the Timurids and Mughals. In the 1930's the new founde'd Turkey kept close Relations to Afghanistan and helped the to built a Military Academy.

Regarding Economic Cooperation, Turkey and India allready strengthen there Economic Copperation. In the first Quarter 2010 President Gül allready visited India and signed many Agreements for Economic Cooperation. We can cooperate in economic Matters but we will never cooperate in strategic Matters, because India is seeking Dominance in the Region, including in Turkeys Backyard Central Asia !

Since when Turkey is trying to become a regional power? you do know Turkey is a member of NATO right?

What rubbish are you saying we have history going back thousands of years have you ever heard of the Bamiyan Buddha's statue? did you know Karzai was educated in India or how many afgan students are in Delhi studying?

BBC NEWS | South Asia | India: Afghanistan's influential ally

Afghanistan crazy about Bollywood, but lacks official market

BTW we do not need Turkey to expand our ties with Afganistan you can prevent us from attending but thats going to stop our people to people contact.

Last edited:
Since when Turkey is trying to become a regional power? you do know Turkey is a member of NATO right?

Yes, I allready know that Turkey is Member of NATO. This do not forbid to form Alliances with Countries with which we have close ethnic, historic and religious Links ! I'm all other than a Fan of our current Goverments, but in this Case I'm fully Support our Goverment !

Firs thing India is no wear near the border of Afghanistan....Second thing no other country can dictate other what to do....every country has brains and they know well what they need to adopt the foreign policy...and that policy is not made by one person.....so to give blame to Pakistan for that its......Indian mindset nothing else.

What rubbish are you saying we have history going back thousands of years have you ever heard of the Bamiyan Buddha's statue? did you know Karzai was educated in India or how many afgan students are in Delhi studying?

BBC NEWS | South Asia | India: Afghanistan's influential ally

BTW we do not need Turkey to expand our ties with Afganistan you can prevent us from attending but thats going to stop our people to people contact.

We can seek other Solutions than one sided Domination. If all regional Power in Eurasia and south Asia will seek peacefull Solution of our Conflicts insted of Dominance, we can built an Union like EU. Such Union could include Eurasian and south Asian States like Pakistan, India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. This will be a big bebefit for all mentioned States !

You can also chose the Way of Domination, but don't forget Turkey is strengthening it's Relations with it's Turkic Brother States ! If India is seeking one side'd Domination we will deny it ! Don't forget what happen'd under the Timurids and Mughals, History can allready repeat !:wave:

Lets see how situation changes in future...We all know current policys of turkey...lats see if they make any change or not...:)

We can seek other Solutions than one sided Domination. If all regional Power in Eurasia and south Asia will seek peacefull Solution of our Conflicts insted of Dominance, we can built an Union like EU. Such Union could include Eurasian and south Asian States like Pakistan, India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. This will be a big bebefit for all mentioned States !

You can also chose the Way of Domination, but don't forget Turkey is strengthening it's Relations with it's Turkic Brother States ! If India is seeking one side'd Domination we will deny it ! Don't forget what happen'd under the Timurids and the Mughals, History can allready repeat !:wave:

What you do is your business but like i said you can not stop us expanding ties with Afganistan and it's people as for the Mughals they were defeated and had their backs broken by the Marathi and Sikh empires. :cheers:

Become ? We are already a regional power in the area. When does being a member of NATO stop you from being a regional power ?

Also we hold a considerable amount more influence in Afghanistan and the overall region as you can see from the trilateral Ankara cooperation which brought Afghanistan and Pakistan closer in ties and the talks which are about to take place in Istanbul between Iran and U.S. delegations. It should not come as any surprise to India that it was left out of this process on the request of Pakistan who holds priority in these types of matters over India. Especially when it concerns Afghanistan. India would have complicated these matters.

Just wanted to say tht if indians think they turkiye will leave Pakistan completely or back off from supporting Pak on Kashmir issue just for some economic oppurtunities then i dont think so.

Just wanted to say tht if indians think they turkiye will leave Pakistan completely or back off from supporting Pak on Kashmir issue just for some economic oppurtunities then i dont think so.

Well i don't think so and neither me or any indian member on this thread have said this so far...;)

Every relation is not zerosum game, if relations with india improves then it dosen't means it will other wayround with pakistan.

What you do is your business but like i said you can not stop us expanding ties with Afganistan and it's people as for the Mughals they were defeated and had their backs broken by the Marathi and Sikh empires. :cheers:

.... and not to forget the british Imperialist and intrigues in the monarchic Yard destroyed the Mughal Power in India ! The Case from which I'm speak will be quite different then the End Times of Mughal Empire. India probably Face in Future a Coalition between Turkic States and Pak !:cheers:

Back
Top Bottom