What's new

Opinions about "Urdu"

A1Kaid

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Living here in US, when someone asks me what other languages do you speak, I tell someone I also speak "Urdu" a word very tough for non-Pakistanis and non Urdu/Hindi speakers to pronounce and understand.

So what about the word itself? Do any of you think the word "Urdu" sounds odd it's the only four letter word (that comes to mind easily) that contains two "U's" and a relatively tough "R" to pronounce for people of other languages. Sometimes I just tell people to pronounce it as the Turkish/Turkce word "Ordu".

Look at other words for various languages English, Arabic/Arabi, Turkish/Turkce, French/Francais, Espanol/Spanish, Deutsch/German, Farsi, Hindi, etc.

But then the word "Urdu" for Pakistan's official language sounds special or odd. Now I am not saying because some westerners or non-Pakistani can't pronounce Urdu correctly we should change the name of the language. I'm asking if the word sounds odd to even other Pakistanis. "Ur" and then a "Du" lol. When an English speaker has trouble pronouncing it I tell them to say it like the word "Or" and then "Do" which makes it easier for them.

I also read and hear many people say oh Urdu is such a beautiful language...Yeah that's nice but other languages I think have better structure that is befitting for 21st century advance and intelligent communication. Look at English, French, and German these languages are masters at science, math, law, medical, technical, and other fields. Many times Urdu doesn't even have a scientific word that English has.

For example, what are the Urdu words for "electromagnetic field"? Or "cardiopulmonary resuscitation"? Maybe someone will give the "Urdu" equivalent to those words but the point is AFAIK Urdu lacks in scientific, mathematical, law, technical vocabulary compared to prominent western languages.

Also the structure of Urdu words like how new words are made need to improve as far as prefixes, word endings, etc go. I know Urdu isn't always built that way but perhaps that's one reason why it's lacking in a framework structure which may make it harder to make new reasonable words. I hope most of you understand what I mean or have my experience or thoughts.

Last edited:
No doubt Urdu is a beautiful language! I don't know much but yes I've learnt some words..and I frequently mix Urdu words with Hindi.

:cheers:

Living here in US, when someone asks me what other languages do you speak, I tell someone I also speak "Urdu" a word very tough for non-Pakistanis and non Urdu/Hindi speakers to pronounce and understand.

So what about the word itself? Do any of you think the word "Urdu" sounds odd it's the only four letter word (that comes to mind easily) that contains two "U's" and a relatively tough "R" to pronounce for people of other languages. Sometimes I just tell people to pronounce it as the Turkish/Turkce word "Ordu".

Look at other words for various languages English, Arabic/Arabi, Turkish/Turkce, French/Francais, Espanol/Spanish, Deutsch/German, Farsi, Hindi, etc.

But then the word "Urdu" for Pakistan's official language sounds special or odd. Now I am not saying because some westerners or non-Pakistani can't pronounce Urdu correctly we should change the name of the language. I'm asking if the word sounds odd to even other Pakistanis. "Ur" and then a "Du" lol. When an English speaker has trouble pronouncing it I tell them to say it like the word "Or" and then "Do" which makes it easier for them.

I also read and hear many people say oh Urdu is such a beautiful language...Yeah that's nice but other languages I think have better structure that is befitting for 21st century advance and intelligent communication. Look at English, French, and German these languages are masters at science, math, law, medical, technical, and other fields. Many times Urdu doesn't even have a scientific word that English has.

For example, what are the Urdu words for "electromagnetic field"? Or "cardiopulmonary resuscitation"? Maybe someone will give the "Urdu" equivalent to those words but the point is AFAIK Urdu lacks in scientific, mathematical, law, technical vocabulary compared to prominent western languages.

Also the structure of Urdu words like how new words are made need to improve as far as prefixes, word endings, etc go. I know Urdu isn't always built that way but perhaps that's one reason why it's lacking in a framework structure which may make it harder to make new reasonable words. I hope most of you understand what I mean or have my experience or thoughts.

Hi A1Kaid, I dont know if this is your personal opinion but with all due respect I disagree with you. The Language is something which need to be evoluted at time to time basis. The reason westerners have those fancy words because they did some invention and then mapped some relevant/irrelevant words for inventions (sometimes even based on Scientists name like Einstein condensation theory, Hubble telescope) and then added to Dictionary. Even today, annually words are added in English dictionary like Blogs etc.

Whether it is Urdu/Hindi we have to either accept/adapt these invention's nomenclature or may be mapped one but the issue is we never accept or use Hindi/Urdu adaptions of such words. The main reason behind this is that we are mere happy with english adaption which is common in our area. If we wish then we can also start calling Train as "Loh Path gamini" and enjoy it.

Urdu means Army.

Urdu is Turkish Language word. Today Military Academy in Turkey is called "Urdu Academy".

Urdu is mix of Turkish, Persian, Arabic and Sunsikrat Languages.

Thanks for offering your opinion guys. I would like to see what others think as well.

Do some of you agree Urdu lacks in scientific, mathematical, law, technical vocabulary words? As well as other points or opinions I raised earlier.

Urdu means Army.

Urdu is Turkish Language word. Today Military Academy in Turkey is called "Urdu Academy".

Yes, I know but often in Turkce they spell it "Ordu". I believe there is also a town in Turkiye named "Ordu".

In my point of view languages change with the passage of time. English is a rich language [with respect to technical terms] because all these technology [post Muslim progress] came from European side. Though not necessarily english but they were keenly translated in english. Likewise one can observe that Urdu language is rich in fruits/vegetables & all sorts of spices name [& so is the case with Hindi] because English people don't have that sort of Stuff out there. Likewise we don't have stuff like biscuits cakes & pies... thus got no name for them in Urdu.
In a nutshell languages evolve. Point is that Englishmen conquered many different parts of the world so their vocab. increase at a grt pace.

Urdu means Army.

The word is Sanskrit ... please don't kill the name of the language with ur punjabi pronunciation..

@Topic Urdu is a beautiful language. Language of poets and who cares if few westerners can not pronounce and understand the name

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom