What's new

Opinions about "Urdu"

The word is Sanskrit ... please don't kill the name of the language with ur punjabi pronunciation..

And how do you know he's Punjabi, or thats the Punjabi pronunciation?
He might have misspelled it. Btw indians kill Urdu with their pronunciations all the time.

Hi A1Kaid, I dont know if this is your personal opinion but with all due respect I disagree with you. The Language is something which need to be evoluted at time to time basis. The reason westerners have those fancy words because they did some invention and then mapped some relevant/irrelevant words for inventions (sometimes even based on Scientists name like Einstein condensation theory, Hubble telescope) and then added to Dictionary. Even today, annually words are added in English dictionary like Blogs etc.

Whether it is Urdu/Hindi we have to either accept/adapt these invention's nomenclature or may be mapped one but the issue is we never accept or use Hindi/Urdu adaptions of such words. The main reason behind this is that we are mere happy with english adaption which is common in our area. If we wish then we can also start calling Train as "Loh Path gamini" and enjoy it.

Different languages evolve differently depending on the culture and necessity. Like English, Japanese is very open to borrowing words from other languages and using them without trying to translate. They just use the English words for most of the scientific terms .

In my mother tongue Tamil , significant about of effort and resources are spent on preserving and evolving the language while keeping it pure. So you will find Tamil words for everything technical to pop culture references.

And how do you know he's Punjabi, or thats the Punjabi pronunciation?
He might have misspelled it. Btw indians kill Urdu with their pronunciations all the time.

Because his location reads Lahore.. :smokin: Believe me, i have nothing against punjabi as i speak and understand it pretty well... But some how for some Pakistani punjabis Karkare become Kurkure and Sanskrit becomes Sunsikrat and trust me its very annoying for us...

A1KAID:

"electromagnetic field"? Or "cardiopulmonary resuscitation"?"

Language evolves with the time. There would not be any word like 'electromagnetic field' before discovering that, right? The reason you think that Dutch, English, Hebrew, Russian, Latin etc are so '21st century' languages is because their scientists invented things and named it according to their culture--If Pakistan was a super power, you would have seen Urdu names of scientific inventions.

My 2 cents..

EXAMPLE:

Frenchmen, J.M. Jacquard invents the Jacquard Loom.

Count Alessandro Volta invents the battery.

Volt - The unit of electromotive force, or difference of potential, which will cause a current of one ampere to flow through a resistance of one ohm. Named for Italian physicist Alessandro Volta.

You could count on many examples..

One more thing, Urdu does not need transformation rather Urdu speaking people need to transform themselves from lazy a$$e$ to working bums!

This way, when you bring your order, the names of scientific inventions will be in your language.

Urdu is a beautiful language. I took Urdu in year 6 instead of Sanskrit, but failed miserably cause the alphabets was too hard :frown:. Only if it was taught in Roman or Hindi script.

Although the Urdu spoken in my Lucknow is quite different from what i hear on Pakistani news channels? Needless to say i prefer our Lakhnavi Urdu :D

Living here in US, when someone asks me what other languages do you speak, I tell someone I also speak "Urdu" a word very tough for non-Pakistanis and non Urdu/Hindi speakers to pronounce and understand.

So what about the word itself? Do any of you think the word "Urdu" sounds odd it's the only four letter word (that comes to mind easily) that contains two "U's" and a relatively tough "R" to pronounce for people of other languages. Sometimes I just tell people to pronounce it as the Turkish/Turkce word "Ordu".

Look at other words for various languages English, Arabic/Arabi, Turkish/Turkce, French/Francais, Espanol/Spanish, Deutsch/German, Farsi, Hindi, etc.

But then the word "Urdu" for Pakistan's official language sounds special or odd. Now I am not saying because some westerners or non-Pakistani can't pronounce Urdu correctly we should change the name of the language. I'm asking if the word sounds odd to even other Pakistanis. "Ur" and then a "Du" lol. When an English speaker has trouble pronouncing it I tell them to say it like the word "Or" and then "Do" which makes it easier for them.

I also read and hear many people say oh Urdu is such a beautiful language...Yeah that's nice but other languages I think have better structure that is befitting for 21st century advance and intelligent communication. Look at English, French, and German these languages are masters at science, math, law, medical, technical, and other fields. Many times Urdu doesn't even have a scientific word that English has.

For example, what are the Urdu words for "electromagnetic field"? Or "cardiopulmonary resuscitation"? Maybe someone will give the "Urdu" equivalent to those words but the point is AFAIK Urdu lacks in scientific, mathematical, law, technical vocabulary compared to prominent western languages.

Also the structure of Urdu words like how new words are made need to improve as far as prefixes, word endings, etc go. I know Urdu isn't always built that way but perhaps that's one reason why it's lacking in a framework structure which may make it harder to make new reasonable words. I hope most of you understand what I mean or have my experience or thoughts.
Arey baba kyon tension kyon lete ho use google translator to get the nearest meaning of it or simply write them as it is in urdu ........
electromagnetic field=برقناطیسی میدان

A1KAID:

"electromagnetic field"? Or "cardiopulmonary resuscitation"?"

Language evolves with the time. There would not be any word like 'electromagnetic field' before discovering that, right? The reason you think that Dutch, English, Hebrew, Russian, Latin etc are so '21st century' languages is because their scientists invented things and named it according to their culture--If Pakistan was a super power, you would have seen Urdu names of scientific inventions.

My 2 cents..

Not necessarily according to their culture... The reasons vary.

As if electricity or electromagnetic fields aren't in "Pakistani culture"? These are universal things!

I understand western scientist developed and invented and discovered many things hence things were primarily named in their language like the word "computer" even an Urdu speaker calls it a "computer" there is no Urdu word for "computer".

Though here is the problem. Pakistani language of Urdu is behind in vocabulary words. Who really gives a damn about poetry when there is math, science, and technology to be understood.

In France there are Universities and Language academies dedicated to developing the French language and making sure it is on par with English as far as vocabulary words go. When a new word in English occurs the French University or language academy provides a French equivalent to that word helping to constantly grow the French language.

If poetry and daily life are the two applications that Urdu can handle (maybe there are more) then it's not serving us well. Obviously this is why you see so many Pakistanis mixing Urdu and English! I've never heard or seen a Frenchman, or Chinese, or Turk have to mix up their language with English as much as Pakistanis (on some circumstances) have to do. Even Turkish language has developed in scientific, mathematic, and technical words and Turkiye is no super power. Also the Swedes, Norges, Finns are not super power but their language is highly developed.

In my opinion Urdu is behind. The language of Urdu needs major improvement.

Even this very forum it's main language is English one because it is an international language and because English allows us to discuss advance, complicated, and or technical idea in a way Urdu cannot... Yes I understand language proficiency matters but the point still stands.

By the way it's also funny how people from the subcontinent pronounce the English word "generator" as "jen nay tar" and "Government" as "Goerr ment" completely skipping the "V".

Ha

Well what is English word for Mamoo,Chahu,Taya,Khala etc etc:azn:

Its more about culture.Every Language evolves in a certain culture.Have anyone of you read original Romeo-Juliet?? It SUCKS cuz I can't even read two lines of 'Old English' :D

Languages evolved.

Urdu is very difficult but very beautiful and expressive language :agree:

And Yes Urdu needs improvement BUT this will only come when we will improve in other fields of knowledge too

Last edited:
Because his location reads Lahore.. :smokin: Believe me, i have nothing against punjabi as i speak and understand it pretty well... But some how for some Pakistani punjabis Karkare become Kurkure and Sanskrit becomes Sunsikrat and trust me its very annoying for us...

Actually, you were trying to be racist towards Punjabis.

lol, but you backed off when Dance confronted you about it, lol.

Last edited:
Jindagi mein urdu say jayada majaydar language kahin nai suni.
fir say suno, Jindagi mein urdu say jayada majaydar juban kahin nai suni.

Back
Top Bottom