What's new

Operation Swift Retort by Alan Warnes

Falcon EW suit is home built or off the shelf?
original EW suit was supplied by French but it was in 1987 and in past these were at one time upgraded and overhauled in France but it is very difficult to comment about current status as information about DA-20 is almost non-existential in public domain.

The Mirage pilot said he had 15 to 20 seconds to record this video them guide the weapon away from target.
Which means there is no or very low latency.

I heard that now JF-17 can also communicate with ERIEYE through Pakistan made Link-17.

Link 17, is a bridge protocol.

In software terms, its a wrapper.

original EW suit was supplied by French but it was in 1987 and in past these were at one time upgraded and overhauled in France but it is very difficult to comment about current status as information about DA-20 is almost non-existential in public domain.
i have been reading this lithology and it clearly states that DA 20 Falcon was the game changer with its heavily modified EW suit. it led to be believe that may be the way we modified our Mirages heavily and we got the capability to repair and overhaul our SAABs, the capability is also possessed to have custom built EW suit for jamming comms and d/l.....enemy was all focused on AWACs when the real badboy was a decade old Falcon

Explain more please

The inner working of 16 is propriety and closed.
But you know "some" of the things it can do.
So, you build a protocol on top of it, that uses those functions.
We do not know everything that the 16 does, and we don't exactly know how it is done.

We just built on top of it.

Explain more please
all western aircrafts i.e F16 use Link 16 to communicate with Eyrie while Pakistan built a similar D/L protocol for communication b/w JFT - ZDK03
it is said that it is also used for network centric battlespace management allowing F16, Mirages, JFT, and all AEWs to be linked together.....it allowed us the upper hand in Feb 27 and all CAP missions since all A/C are linked

If I m not wrong then DA-20 were upgraded during Mush time.

it led to be believe that may be the way we modified our Mirages heavily and we got the capability to repair and overhaul our SAABs, the capability is also possessed to have custom built EW suit for jamming comms and d/l.....
#metoo .... :lol::lol:

but we do not have any source to back this up .... [a classical #metoo situation ....]

If I m not wrong then DA-20 were upgraded during Mush time.
I don't remember the exact year but yes in his tenure

all western aircrafts i.e F16 use Link 16 to communicate with Eyrie while Pakistan built a similar D/L protocol for communication b/w JFT - ZDK03
it is said that it is also used for network centric battlespace management allowing F16, Mirages, JFT, and all AEWs to be linked together.....it allowed us the upper hand in Feb 27 and all CAP missions since all A/C are linked
Hi Foxtrot,
So what I understand is that Thunders can only data link with ZDK.
But there were no ZDK in operation swift retort? Only Erieye?

Hi Foxtrot,
with the help of ground C&C station complete air picture could be transmitted back to aircrafts in real time remember RTDL capability of PAF

Hi Foxtrot,
it was just a reference for your ease of of understanding....
you can refer to this article on Quwa for your understanding and it will clear out confusions.....https://quwa.org/2016/04/05/link-17-pakistans-homegrown-data-link-system/

#metoo .... :lol::lol:

but we do not have any source to back this up .... [a classical #metoo situation ....]

I don't remember the exact year but yes in his tenure
lets not do enemy's work for them and stop digging further....perhaps theres a reason Sq 24 is called "Blinders"

Last edited:
As I had suspected allalong, the data link was in full blown operation despite the heavy ECM :).....

Very happy to see it confirmed. very old algorithm i pioneered worked :)
Virtual High Five.

i have been reading this lithology and it clearly states that DA 20 Falcon was the game changer with its heavily modified EW suit. it led to be believe that may be the way we modified our Mirages heavily and we got the capability to repair and overhaul our SAABs, the capability is also possessed to have custom built EW suit for jamming comms and d/l.....enemy was all focused on AWACs when the real badboy was a decade old Falcon
could really do with more of these!

I think the PAF will invest in more EW/ECM assets. They'll obviously pod-out the JF-17s, and possibly even the F-16A/B MLUs, moving forward. However, I can see them pick-up a few more business jets and configure them with hyper-customized EW/ECM suites. It could boil down to a different suite per 1-2 aircraft.

Otherwise, I don't think they'll get another fighter until Project Azm. The goal is likely to grab the MBDA Meteor someway or somehow, and that's where the option of fitting the JF-17 with the Leonardo AESA radar comes into play. But if the PAF can't get additional F-16s, then I do wonder, could the Gripen E/F (with the condition it comes with Meteor) be a thing?

Erieye's are data-linked with both F-16s & JF-17s.

ZDKs are data-linked with JF-17s only but as per a PAF official provide a few extras over the Erieye.

Back
Top Bottom