8.jpg

9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg

C-17 :fans:
16juba714.jpg

About the operation

Ministry of External Affairs launches operation "sankat mochan" to evacuate Indian nationals from war torn South Sudan. General VK Singh heading operation as two C-17s depart for Juba.

India on Wednesday launched operation 'Sankat Mochan' to evacuate its citizens from South Sudan.

India has sent two C-17 military transport aircrafts to South Sudan's capital city Juba to evacuate over 300 Indians stranded there.

The operation will be overseen by Union Minister VK Singh, who left for Juba Thursday morning.

He is accompanied by Secretary Amar Sinha, JS Satbir Singh and Director Anjani Kumar.

This development comes a day after External Affairs Minister said the government had set up a special task force to evacuate Indian citizens from the war-torn country.

@Abingdonboy @PARIKRAMA @Joe Shearer @nair @ranjeet @Ankit Kumar @Roybot @Levina @third eye @Water Car Engineer @he-man @Rain Man @fsayed @MilSpec @Vergennes @thesolar65

Last edited:
Congratulations on a successful op. I ve one question if anyone can enlighten me on it.

(1) Why send a C-17 in a war theater where military planes are considered hostile and are more susceptible/likely to be attacked? Why not send a commercial jet having more or less same seating capacity as of C-17?

(2) Secondly Mr VK Singh went along in a good will gesture, showing "We Care" attitude but actual operation was spearheaded by Indian Embassy in SS. Mr VK Singh was more or less a celebratory figure out there. Why put a high profile figure in harms way when said job could have easily be done by normal evacuation crew? Am I right to call it a media and publicity stunt as pics depict? If the case is so then yes it was worth it.

Congratulations on a successful op. I ve one question if anyone can enlighten me on it.

(1) Why send a C-17 in a war theater where military planes are considered hostile and are more susceptible/likely to be attacked? Why not send a commercial jet having more or less same seating capacity as of C-17?

(2) Secondly Mr VK Singh went along in a good will gesture, showing "We Care" attitude but actual operation was spearheaded by Indian Embassy in SS. Mr VK Singh was more or less a celebratory figure out there. Why put a high profile figure in harms way when said job could have easily be done by normal evacuation crew? Am I right to call it a media and publicity stunt as pics depict? If the case is so then yes it was worth it.
If it is hostile enough then it makes sense to send military transport than a commercial one which doesnt stand chance against the attack.
2. This is not the first time Mr VK Singh has personally headed the operation, as a former Army cheif nothing is less expected. He has seen more hostile environment. So people can think what they want but at the end of day I see lot of happy faces in that plane shaking hands wiyh Mr Singh.

The civilian air lines are running commercial routes on a daily basis.
to them every minute every second is time and money.

And a civilian airliner costs as much as a c17 globe aster

Indian civilian air lines use air bus brand new planes.
the c17 are sent cause Indian has ten of them lying sitting in India for emergencies I'd this sort of operation.
I hope that answers your question why India sent c17

Why send a C-17 in a war theater where military planes are considered hostile and are more susceptible/likely to be attacked? Why not send a commercial jet having more or less same seating capacity as of C-17?

Chartering an airliner would cost while using an AF machine would amount to paying only in books - One ministry to another.

The Indian mission would have done the ground work before the aircraft reached.

Indian troops in the UN mission may have been ' activated' to sanitse the approach / exit of the aircraft;

The present Govt has always sent a high level rep in such situations - Yemen . If Indian aircrew can put themselves in harms way so can a minister.

He is General VK Singh not Mr VK Singh

1. What better aircraft than a C-17 be that could take up such a mission? Terrorists and Non professional armies dont care if its a Civilian aircraft or Military. When you are going into such a hostility, its better to hand it over to the professionals.

2. Gen VK Singh is the Secretary of state for MOES and being an Ex-Chief of Army himself, he is the wisest of choice for such missions. A war trained diplomat is an obvious choice. He can lead the operation all by himself in situations should the routine SOP fail without compromising the Civilian structure of this govt.

hasnt any "sceluar" said why this op was named Sankat Mochan?

Because we know this government is as COMMUNAL as it can be......

I am damn sure all the saved souls are from MAJORITY community while minority community would have been left for dying.

Also, why only 2 NEPALIS were saved? Why not BDian, Pakistani, Indonesian, Maldivian or Afghani?

Why the C-17?

1) 2-3 IAF C-17s are on 24/7 "alert" at any one time ready to respond to any emergecny (HADR, terror attack, evac missions etc) with the crews literally sat around waiting for the call. A civlian charter would take far longer to arrange.
2) These a military airlifters flown by military pilots who are trained to fly in extreme situations and hostile airspace, the fact that is this is an emergency evacuation because South Sudan is facing a civil war, why risk sending in civilian pilots with absolutely no expereince or training in these operations?
3) The C-17 is fitted with advanced counter measures, as mentioned South Sudan is facing turmoil and thus one cannot take the safety of such airlifters for granted, a military plane will have the relevent safety apparatus- if required (god forbid).

This is literally the kind of mission these C-17s were purchased for (partly).

Why are these guys in different type of uniforms ? What other units are doing there with garuds ?
@Abingdonboy
The guys in digicam are Garuds (they usually are part of these evac missions to provide security for the AF assets), the others are IAF personnel also (perhaps part of some technical branch)

1) He is a MoS in the MEA, this is part of his job
2) He is a former Army general (COAS no less) so is a leader of men and leaders lead from the front in Indian Military
3) He has expereince in these missions (the Yeman evacuation was led in a similar way) and has proven what an asset he can be on the ground.

Damn!! Should have ordered those white tail .-17's

Why didn't we buy more C-17's! :frown:

The IAF requested 22......received 10

double_facepalm.jpg

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom