What's new

Operation Rah-e-Nijat (South Waziristan)

Pakistan Security Brief - February 16, 2010

Afghan Taliban’s second in command captured in Karachi; Qari Hussain claims responsibility for attacks, professes Hakimullah Mehsud is alive; US drone attacks kill at least nine militants; Pakistani troops conducted operations in Bajaur; police arrested 18 suspected militants in Kohat.

Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, the Afghan Taliban’s second in command, was captured several days ago in a joint ISI/CIA raid in the Pakistani city of Karachi. Baradar is believed to have commanded the Taliban’s military operations and leadership council. Pakistani and US officials did not disclose details of the operation until recently because of the potential for valuable intelligence following Baradar’s capture.[1]

In a phone conversation with a reporter on Sunday, Qari Hussain of the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) claimed that his suicide bombers were responsible for last Thursday’s twin bombings against police personnel in Bannu district. Hussain said that these attacks and others would come throughout Pakistan in retaliation for the military’s ongoing operations against militants in Bajaur Agency. He also added that Hakimullah Mehsud was alive and he will be revealed to the media when it becomes necessary. Qari Hussain’s interviews disprove rumors that he was killed in a drone strike targeting Hakimullah in January.[2]

At least six militants were killed on Sunday by two missiles from US drones. The missiles struck a compound near Mir Ali, located in North Waziristan. The following day, a vehicle travelling in North Waziristan was struck by a missile, killing three militants. A US drone was suspected to have fired the missile.[3]

Pakistani security forces engaged militants located in several areas of Bajaur area on Sunday and seized large quantities of weapons. During operations, helicopter gunships targeted suspected Taliban hideouts in Mamund and Charmang, killing three militants.[4]

Police officers in Kohat district arrested 18 suspected militants during a search operation on Sunday. Officers also recovered numerous kinds of ammunition and explosives.[6]

Pakistan's victims of war struggle to move on

Wednesday, 17 Feb, 2010

PESHAWAR: Laiba is only seven years old, but she's a poster girl for thousands of Pakistanis who have lost limbs in the war between the militants and the armed forces.

The girl, whose name means "Fairy of the Heavens", was shopping in Peshawar with her uncle for a new pair of socks for the Muslim festival of Eid in November 2008 when tragedy struck.

Their car was travelling alongside a convoy of the paramilitary Frontier Constabulary. Mistaking them for potential suicide bombers, her father says, troops raked the vehicle with gunfire, shattering Laiba's left leg.

Doctors could not save her foot and her leg was amputated mid-shin. Her right leg, despite five major operations, is still embedded with shrapnel.

Now, Laiba lies in bed at her grandfather's house in Peshawar, capital of North West Frontier Province, playing with an artificial foot, shy and silent after her trauma.

"It is strange to be scared in our own country of our own people," said her mother, Razia Khan.

"If we escape from suicide attacks, our own forces fire shots on us. I get afraid when any of my relatives leave the house."

Although the government does not keep statistics, doctors estimate thousands of people have lost limbs in a wave of attacks and suicide bombings blamed mostly on Taliban militants that have swept the country since July 2007.

The attacks have killed around 3,000 people. Civilians have also been caught in crossfire since Pakistan joined the US-led "war on terror" in 2002 and launched offensives against Islamist strongholds in the northwest.

There are no figures for civilians killed or wounded in army offensives, most of which occur in the northwest region along the Afghan border - lawless, rugged terrain largely out of bounds to journalists and aid workers.

Laiba's family said they encountered a wall of silence when trying to get justice for their daughter.

"Police registered the first information report against 'unknown people', despite the fact that everything was clear," says her father Asim Khan, a supervisor at the Pakistan Telecommunication Corporation in Islamabad.

"I want them to accept responsibility and pay for the treatment of my daughter," he said.

The family has been able to drum up public support for Laiba's cause, with TV channels and newspapers reporting her plight and human rights groups intervening.

Frontier Constabulary (FC) authorities acknowledged that Laiba was injured and paid about 400,000 rupees (4,700 US dollars) for treatment, Khan said.

But because she is growing, Laiba will need a new artificial limb every six months to have any hope of living a normal life.

The family cannot afford the 91,000 rupees (1,076 dollars) for each new prosthetic - although Laiba's mother works in Britain for the National Health Service and the family is better off than many in Peshawar.

"I don't want any revenge, no compensation, but only the treatment of my daughter from the best physicians of the world. The security forces must do it," says Razia Khan, who travels back and forth between Britain and Pakistan.

Major Fazl-ur-Rehman, a spokesman for the FC, told AFP an internal inquiry found that the shots which injured Laiba were not fired by their troops but by "various other forces moving there."

"Even then we paid for her treatment and offered to buy her an artificial foot purely on humanitarian grounds," he added.

Militants appear to be increasingly targeting civilians. A suicide blast killed 101 people at a volleyball game in a northwest village on January 1. On October 28, a car bomb slaughtered 125 people in a crowded Peshawar market.

The massive amounts of explosives packed in cars, trucks or suicide vests, sometimes studded with nails and other makeshift projectiles, cause horrible injuries.

The Pakistan Institute of Prosthetic and Orthotic Sciences in Peshawar treats more than 6,000 amputees every year and numbers are increasing, says managing director Liaquat Ali Malik.

"The number is increasing day by day due to this war on terror. We receive dozens of people every day who want artificial limbs but treatment is an ongoing and lengthy process," he told AFP.

Patients need to replace artificial limbs every two years, which is costly and few amputees can afford it, Malik acknowledged.

Anser Abbas, a journalist, lost both his arms in a suicide bombing that killed 20 of his relatives at a hospital in northwest town Dera Ismail Khan on August 19, 2008.

He was transferred to an intensive care unit in Islamabad and had a series of painful operations and treatments in the past year and a half, at the cost of 1.5 million rupees to his family.

The promised government compensation never came, and he remains without artificial arms which could give him some independence.

"I can't eat, dress, drink and write with my own hands. I have become disabled after the blast, the Taliban have destroyed my life," he said.

Arshad Abdullah, a member of the provincial cabinet of North West Frontier Province, said the government pays compensation to bomb blast victims for severe injures on the recommendations of a medical board.

"We pay compensation within 15 days. If someone has been left without it, it is serious and criminal negligence on the part of government officials. I will look into this and take stern action," he told AFP.

DAWN.COM | Provinces | Pakistan's victims of war struggle to move on

so many lives have been touched......

most of them, poor people. It is a DUTY of the state and the qaum to look after these people and never forget them.
yup, I think in the long run a fund should be established along with a few new dedicated hospitals in most terror struck cities for the care and treatment of people of terrorist acts. You also need dedicated psychiatric dept. in these hospitals for victims and especially for kids. We have such large number of people who's lives have been turned upside down, kids like this little girl have become traumatized. A well thought out plan should be implemented. This should be on the govt's list and also on the future ones. Anything that anyone can do in their ability would be their duty not a favor.

we need more people like EDHI --who slave themselves for the good of humanity
Reminds me of Imran Khan's interview sometime back where he said we don't need politicians we need social workers to run the country...

well.....we need politicians, just we need fresh blood; not these old buggers with all their excess baggage and strings attached to them

we have Ministry of Population Welfare, it is their job to handle social work in the country...whether they are doing it or not, I am not in position to comment

countries like Turkiye make their population do military service for the sake of discipline. I don't see why Pakistanis arent forced to do mandatory community service --as designated to them by govt. Even 4-5 months of solid social work can make huge difference.

problem is, rich are sheltered.....poor think only in the short-run --that's all they can do.

you want my personal opinion? I look down on politicians, especially ours. But we can do the right thing and vote for the proper leaders next time --and demand an end to these big franchise families who run political parties and buy (or inherit) their constituencies

the topic was the war's social and emotional cost on our fellow Pakistani comrades......and that cost since 2001 has been enormous. We should resist the temptation to just 'accept it' and become numb. Their lives are worth as much as ours, we must stand by them and support them. Especially the youth; the new blood of this country

i wanted to add one thing....

there's a difference between a man who reports to his job in bulletproof S500, then goes back home and is assured relaxation because he has a pantry full of food, and un-interrupted power thanks to his UPS and diesel generators

AND

the man who reports to work in his aging sohrab.....or even he packs himself like sardine in a mini-wagon or bus to get to work. He encounters sick people all the time, has friends and neighbours who have their own share of worries and problems. He experiences and knows financial hardship, yet he strives to earn his living in an honest and legal way. This is the type of guy who will give up everything he has in order to feed, clothe, and educate his sons and daughters; buy their medicines when they get sick --even if its ridiculously expensive to do so.

who is more fit to bring change.....somebody who knows the problems because he deals with them everyday, or somebody who lives a comfortable life and has solutions for every problem --because he can afford them and has other people to do the "biitch-work" for him

and i'm not the type who hates the rich and labels them all corrupt and un-patriotic. I hate to generalize; but lets ask ourself this question.

we need more people like EDHI --who slave themselves for the good of humanity

yeah.... we do and we're lucky have a family of philanthropists who've dedicated their entire lives to the good will of humanity. And in light of Mr. Edhi and his family's work so many inspired individuals and organizations have taken on the task of social work, shehzad roy, abrar ul haq, mir khlil ur rehman organization come to mind.

But in the end what these organizations and individuals can perform, which is good and all, they can't help people at large scale, through out the country and address problems at grass root level. You need the govt for that. You need massive funds and govt's sponsored large scale organizations. Which operates at federal level and has branches state and city wide to channel it's fund through to the people. This is government's responsibility, it's their job, that's why they were elected. They cannot shy away from their duties because an Abdul Satar Edhi is running through the country with his ambulances tending to injured and taking them to an Abrar Ul Haq Hospital because the govt hospital are either overcrowded or aren't there in the region.

absolutely 100% correct

there are 2 problems here......accountability & responsibility (lack thereof)

the people are also the problem....many dont pay their taxes on time (or at all) -- rich, middle class and poor.

It goes down to doing the right thing, and keeping country's interests at heart. It's a quagmire when people dont trust the government so some dont pay their taxes.....and government is not doing job of enforcing tax collection and/or is pocketting the money that should be going to these very same STATE schools and hospitals that you and I are talking about

Prior to the departure of my grandmother, we were taking her to Doctor's hospital (dakoo hospital) in Lahore. Great facilities, best doctors etc. but over-priced. We could afford it (alhamdolillah). I also saw poor people there, they dished out their life savings and probably pawned off some belongings just so they could afford the best treatment.....poor people, rich heart.

these same people should be afforded AFFORDABLE health care. It's our job to demand it, it's government job to implement.

In the end, you judge an administration (and a country as a whole) on how well it looks after its citizens (and animals)

Pakistan air strike 'kills 30 militants'

(AFP)

ISLAMABAD — At least 30 militants were killed in an air strike by the Pakistani military as two suicide bombers attacked police stations in northwest Pakistan Saturday, officials said.

The air strike took place in South Waziristan district where the military in October launched an air and ground offensive to flush out Taliban militants.

The "hideout in Shawal mountains was targeted after a tip off received that terrorists were hiding there," the military said in a statement.

The death toll could not be verified independently as the area is under military control.

Pakistan's military is engaged in offensives against Islamist fighters across much of the northwest including tribal areas bordering Afghanistan, a region branded by Washington the most dangerous place on Earth.

About 30,000 troops poured into South Waziristan in mid-October to try to dismantle strongholds of the Taliban leadership, enraging militants who have responded with a surge of bombings and other attacks.

More than 3,000 people have been killed across Pakistan in attacks by Islamist militants since July 2007.

Washington believes militant safe havens in Pakistan's tribal belt must be eliminated if Al-Qaeda is to be defeated and the eight-year war against the Taliban ended in Afghanistan.

US Marines are leading a major offensive against a Taliban bastion in Helmand province, billed as the biggest since the 2001 US-led invasion and the first test of President Barack Obama's strategy to drive out the hardline militia and reassert government control.

In other violence, suicide bombers attacked two police stations in northwest Pakistan, killing a police station chief and wounding six other policemen, police officials said.

In the first attack, a gunfight broke out when two would-be suicide bombers stormed into a police station in Mansehra, police said.

One of the attackers was shot dead and the other fled, station chief Waheed Khan told AFP.

"We have cordoned the area and are searching for the second attacker," Khan told AFP.

Ali Raza, another police official, told AFP that bomb disposal staff were defusing the explosives strapped to the dead attacker's body.

An AFP photographer at the scene saw the body of the attacker lying in the police station and heard gunshots as police rushed after the second attacker.

In a separate attack in the neighbouring mountain town of Balakot, a suicide bomber killed police station chief Khalil Khan and wounded three policemen, local police official Sabir Ullah told AFP.

Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani "strongly condemned" the attacks, his office said in a statement.

Militants have stepped up attacks against the police force which is not as well equipped as the military.

2010 AFP.

looks like the JF-17s r earning their stripes!

The Human Cost of War Since 9/11

30,452 Civilians have lost their lives.

2,195 Soldiers of Pakistan Armed Forces & Pakistan Para-Military Forces have lost their lives.

78 Officers of Pakistan Armed Forces have lost their lives.

6,512 Soldiers and Officers of the Pakistan Armed Forces have been injured.

17,742 Militants have either been killed or captured by the security forces.

1,582 US/Nato/ISAF Soldiers and Officers have lost their lives.

2.5 Million local residents of Malakand & FATA were displaced at the start of the military campaigns, and most have returned to their homes (what ever was left of them)

Pak to build drones soon with US help: Mukhtar???

Updated at: 1730 PST, Saturday, February 20, 2010

GUJRAT: Defence Minister Chaudhry Ahmed Mukhtar ruled out the possibility of stopping drone attacks, but added that Pakistan will soon begin manufacturing drone planes with the US assistance.

Back
Top Bottom