What's new

One liners :)

India is the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grand mother of tradition. Our most valuable and most astrictive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only!
~~~ Mark Twain (American writer)

The Sanskrit language, whatever be its antiquity is of wonderful structure, more perfect than the Greek, more copious than the Latin and more exquisitely refined than either.
~~~Sir William Jones (English scholar)

It is true that even across the Himalayan barrier India has sent to us such unquestionable gifts as grammar and logic, philosophy and fables, hypnotism and chess, and above all our numerals and our decimal system. But these are not the essence of her spirit; they are trifles compared to what we may learn from her in the future.
~~~ Will Durant (American philosopher)

If there is one place on the face of earth where all the dreams of living men have found a home from the very earliest days when man began the dream of existence, it is India!
~~~ Romaine Rolland (French writer)

The motion of the stars calculated by the Hindus before some 4500 years vary not even a single minute from the tables of Cassine and Meyer (used in the 19-th century). The Indian tables give the same annual variation of the moon as the discovered by Tycho Brahe - a variation unknown to the school of Alexandria and also to the Arabs who followed the calculations of the school... "The Hindu systems of astronomy are by far the oldest and that from which the Egyptians, Greek, Romans and - even the Jews derived from the Hindus their knowledge.
~~~Jean Sylvain Bailly (French astronomer)

Time, for example, is intimately connected with the goddess Kali, which partly accounts for her destructive nature. Energy - in Einstein's equation, E=MC2 is personified in India as Shakti in her various guises.
~~~ Roger Housden (American writer)

There are some parts of the world that, once visited, get into your heart and won�t go. For me, India is such a place. When I first visited, I was stunned by the richness of the land, by its lush beauty and exotic architecture, by its ability to overload the senses with the pure, concentrated intensity of its colors, smells, tastes, and sounds. It was as if all my life I had been seeing the world in black and white and, when brought face-to-face with India, experienced everything re-rendered in brilliant technicolor.
~~~ Keith Bellows (Vice-President, National Geographic Society)

Lesson1. Give people more than they expect and do it cheerfully.

India is not only the heir of her own religious traditions; she is also the residuary legatee of the Ancient Mediterranean World's religious traditions. Religion cuts far deeper, and, at the religious level, India has not been a recipient; she has been a giver. About half the total number of the living higher religions are of Indian origin.

~~~Arnold Joseph Toynbee (British historian)

Lesson 2. Marry a man/woman you love to talk to. As you get older, their
conversational skills will be as important as any other.

Lesson 3. Don't believe all you hear, spend all you have or sleep all you want.

Time, for example, is intimately connected with the goddess Kali, which partly accounts for her destructive nature. Energy - in Einstein's equation, E=MC2 is personified in India as Shakti in her various guises.

~~~ Roger Housden (American writer)

Lesson 4. When you say, "I'm sorry", look the person in the eye.

It has been my long-standing conviction that India is like a donkey carrying a sack of gold - the donkey does not know what it is carrying but is content to go along with the load on its back. The load of gold is the fantastic treasure - in arts, literature, culture, and some sciences like Ayurvedic medicine - which we have inherited from the days of the splendor that was India.

~~~ Nani Ardeshir Palkhiwala ( Indian lawyer & philanthropist)

When Confucius and the Indian Scriptures were made known, no claim to monopoly of ethical wisdom could be thought of. It is only within this century (in the 1800s) that England and America discovered that their nursery tales were old German and Scandinavian stories; and now it appears that they came from India, and are therefore the property of all the nations.

~~~ Emerson (American philosopher)

Back
Top Bottom