What's new

Old Bangla Photos

That is not factually correct. Please back your claim with appropriate source before uttering bs.

There were no record of Sena dynasty destroying Pegodas and killing Monks. Infact Nalanda the top learning center of Buddhism was still operational by the end of Sena dyanasty which were teaching Buddhism along with some Hindu philosopy.
Sena dynasty earned its bad name by introducing caste system back in Bengal, kicking Buddhist out of political arena, and placing buddhist as the lowest caste Hindus. Bollal Sen went as far as banning Cow slaughter in Bengal. [/COLOR]Buddhist lost their political and social status and were thrown into the lowest sect of the society.[/QUOTE]

@ What is the use of banning cow slaughter once there is no muslim visible in Bengal in those days.

@ Buddhist were thrown into lowest sect of Hinduism of the soceity but how ??? During those days no convertee were allowed in Hinduism and it was strickly followed throughout India. That was the reason Hinduism did not spread much except Indian sub-continent.

@ About the refugee migration to Britain let's take the opinion of Al-Zaker who is also from Sylhet.

@ About the mass killing of Buddhist Monks and destroying their Pegodas I will come later.

@ In those days, I mean during the time of Sena Dynasty majority population of Bengal had officially no religion. They were neither Buddhist nor Hindus. Ofcourse animists were there. In those days the people of Bengal used to go to Arrakan for "Tezarat" and than the local businessman came across with Arab/Middle East Darbesh/Faqirs. It was these local Buddhist who invited them to Bengal for preaching the new religion,"Islam". In those days Bengal became a furtile land for preaching Islam. That was the reason for which the local people quickly converted to Muslim.

May I add to that? Around this period we see the Hindu rulers of Bengal literally importing Brahmin families from Ujjain to help them add the religious factor in administration. Till then Bengal never had any Brahmins. The present day Bengalee Brahmins are descendants of the Ujjain Brahmins.

@ Where is his favourate "Chagol"(Goat) ????? I heard that his goat was taken away by the local people of Noakhali that is why the place is known as "Chagol niaya ". Presently it is one of the Police Station of Noakhali district.

Yes, it is a fact that Noakhalians had slaughtered and eaten Gandhi's goat. However, I do not know about the origin of the name Chhagolnaya.

May I add to that? Around this period we see the Hindu rulers of Bengal literally importing Brahmin families from Ujjain to help them add the religious factor in administration. Till then Bengal never had any Brahmins. The present day Bengalee Brahmins are descendants of the Ujjain Brahmins.

Bengali brahmins were mentionned in mahabhrat, and they were in bengal throughout history. They were here during maurya and gupta dynasty.

Let me repeat
he is not involved in the development of Bengali culture, language, food, dance

Why, as a Bengali, will I be interested in him ?

1) Please understand one thing, there was no such Bengali as it is now in the Bengali newspapers, books or magazines at the time when Bakhtiar came to Bengal sometime in 1203 AD. He lived only until 1206 AD when he was killed by one of his generals.

2) In reality, Bengali was not even in the mother's womb at that time, although there are some hints that this language was developing step by step when one reads the PODABOLIs written by Buddhist Monks about 1500 (correct?) years before.

3) When after the death of Nawab Alivardy Khan in 12 April, 1756, Sirajuddoulah was sworn in as the new Nawab, Hindu and Muslim Zamindars were invited at his coronation. The Invitation Letters (NIMONTRON POTRO) for the Hindus were written in Sanskrit. On the other hand the Muslim elites were sent Invitation Letters (or DAWAAT NAMA) written in Farsi.

You can see that Bengali language was not at all developed even in 1756. It was developed only after 1805 when Fort William College was established in Calcutta for the purpose of teaching English language and literature to the black natives. However, the Padres demanded to learn also Bengali, so that they can preach Christianity to the black natives.

Principal Kerry hired very highly qualified Hindu Pundits, and one Tarkalanker (with due respect, I do not remember his first name) was employed as the Dean of Bengali deptt. The five Hindu Pundits tried to teach Bengali, but they failed because there was no Bengali grammar, except a few paragraphs written by the Portugese Baniyas in 1870s.

People have to understand that it is very difficult to teach a foreign language to a foreigners without the help of grammar. The Pundits tried to find out literatures written in Bengali. They found a few poetries, such as Purba Banga Gitika etc, but they could not find a single trace of prose literature, not even a single letter, in Bengali.

These Pundits, led by Tarkalanker and Kerry, compiled the first Grammars on Bengali. Iswarchandra Vidyasagar made quite a few corrections at a latter time during 1840s. During and after this period, Bengali language saw its heydeys in literature, essays and poems. Finally, Tagore received the Nobel Prize in literature and made our language famous throughout the world.

1) Please understand one thing, there was no such Bengali as it is now in the Bengali newspapers, books or magazines at the time when Bakhtiar came to Bengal sometime in 1203 AD. He lived only until 1206 AD when he was killed by one of his generals.

2) In reality, Bengali was not even in the mother's womb at that time, although there are some hints that this language was developing step by step when one reads the PODABOLIs written by Buddhist Monks about 1500 (correct?) years before.

3) When after the death of Nawab Alivardy Khan in 12 April, 1756, Sirajuddoulah was sworn in as the new Nawab, Hindu and Muslim Zamindars were invited at his coronation. The Invitation Letters (NIMONTRON POTRO) for the Hindus were written in Sanskrit. On the other hand the Muslim elites were sent Invitation Letters (or DAWAAT NAMA) written in Farsi.

You can see that Bengali language was not at all developed even in 1756. It was developed only after 1805 when Fort William College was established in Calcutta for the purpose of teaching English language and literature to the black natives. However, the Padres demanded to learn also Bengali, so that they can preach Christianity to the black natives.

Principal Kerry hired very highly qualified Hindu Pundits, and one Tarkalanker (with due respect, I do not remember his first name) was employed as the Dean of Bengali deptt. The five Hindu Pundits tried to teach Bengali, but they failed because there was no Bengali grammar, except a few paragraphs written by the Portugese Baniyas in 1870s.

People have to understand that it is very difficult to teach a foreign language to a foreigners without the help of grammar. The Pundits tried to find out literatures written in Bengali. They found a few poetries, such as Purba Banga Gitika etc, but they could not find a single trace of prose literature, not even a single letter, in Bengali.

These Pundits, led by Tarkalanker and Kerry, compiled the first Grammars on Bengali. Iswarchandra Vidyasagar made quite a few corrections at a latter time during 1840s. During and after this period, Bengali language saw its heydeys in literature, essays and poems. Finally, Tagore received the Nobel Prize in literature and made our language famous throughout the world.

Thanks for the information...
See, I know that language and culture evolve slowly..I know about Bengali history, the natives etc etc..
But I am not that much interested
When I think of Bengali culture I think of food so I will be more interested about its variety
I will be more interested in the dialects.. which varies from the East of Bangladesh to the west of west Bengal
I am interested in the novels and poems and literature and how it depicted the socio cultural aspect of Bengal
I am intersetd in scientific achievements of Jagadish chandra, Prafulla Chandra, Megnad Saha etc etc
I am intested in Bangla cinema and Satyajit etc etc
Bascially the last 200 years have played a key role in the evolution of the culture

So I am 80% intested in those aspects and less on Palas, Senas etc etc..

Yes, it is a fact that Noakhalians had slaughtered and eaten Gandhi's goat. However, I do not know about the origin of the name Chhagolnaya.

Hmmm... why did he bring goat all the way from Gujrat?? Its funny though rude to eat his boloved goat.

373789_191473874267437_129242633823895_416577_123529416_n.jpg

Hmmm... why did he bring goat all the way from Gujrat?? Its funny though rude to eat his boloved goat.

@ O iajdani, you donnot know it ! Gandhi used to take the milk of his own goat.

@ He was an employ of a British Coy on contract basis in South Africa. In 1899 he joined the Boer War in the British Royal Army as Corporal in Medical Corps.

@ O iajdani, you donnot know it ! Gandhi used to take the milk of his own goat.

@ He was an employ of a British Coy on contract basis in South Africa. In 1899 he joined the Boer War in the British Royal Army as Corporal in Medical Corps.

Why he need to drink only his goat milk were not any ছাগল in noyakhli then ? :rofl::rofl:

Why he need to drink only his goat milk were not any ছাগল in noyakhli then ? :rofl::rofl:

@ So many querries ? He was a peculiar man. Once he became a Indian leader he never used to wear British cloth, so he used to carry "Charkha" to waive his own cloth. He never sew its cloth. His food habit was peculiar. His sex life was peculiar.

The tread is not about Gandhi and your weird stories about him, let's stick to the topic.

The tread is not about Gandhi and your weird stories about him, let's stick to the topic.

I apologize on behalf of my countrymen making fun of Gandhi. I personally think he had a very cool character. :dirol:

@ Dear Faarhan, I would be highly obliged if you can help me about the procedure of posting an image/picture in this forum.

Well, Gandhi had taken a goat along even when he went to attend the London Round Table Conference.

I apologize on behalf of my countrymen making fun of Gandhi. I personally think he had a very cool character. :dirol:

Dear Apocalypse,

The thing that irritates people most is a biased view of things, not try to learn and understand (what made him a Gandhi etc etc)and proparagation of hatred to fit those biased views
It mostly comes when you grow up listening to tales of victimisation, hatred etc etc

I had already mentioned that individual posts define the character of a person

And I don;t think some internet individual represents a whole country. Chill out !!!

you don;t have to apologise

Back
Top Bottom