ghazi52

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Officials left red-faced as PM Shehbaz refuses to launch flood relief dashboard

Dawn.com
October 3, 2022

<p>Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaks at an event to launch a real-time dashboard to monitor flood relief assistance on Monday. — DawnNewsTV</p>

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaks at an event to launch a real-time dashboard to monitor flood relief assistance on Monday. — DawnNewsTV

<p>Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s refusal to inaugurate a dashboard to monitor flood relief assistance left federal ministers red-faced on Monday. — DawnNewsTV</p>

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s refusal to inaugurate a dashboard to monitor flood relief assistance left federal ministers red-faced on Monday. — DawnNewsTV

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Monday issued a rebuke and expressed visible frustration after finding inadequacies in a dashboard built to monitor flood relief assistance, pointing out that it lacked real-time updates and was not of international standards.

The prime minister left federal ministers Ahsan Iqbal, Aminul Haque, Marriyum Aurangzeb and Tariq Bashir Cheema red-faced as he refused to inaugurate the event and remained seated as he outlined his primary objection with the dashboard — designed by the IT ministry — saying that it was not being updated in real-time.

“If real-time information doesn’t arrive in this then it’s of no use. Then we are wasting each other’s time. I’m not going to inaugurate this today,” he said when informed that data from the meteorological department was not yet integrated with the dashboard.

“This should be trashed,” he said, calling it a “joke”. “I’m not negating your effort but this is not the dashboard we all imagined. This is a stationary thing in which you fill in figures.”

The prime minister mentioned a different dashboard that monitors dengue hotspots and said it provided “active information” and was based on a “proper structure”.

At one point, Iqbal tried to placate the premier by reasoning that the information on the portal could not be displayed in real-time because it was dependent on information from the provincial disaster management authorities.

However, Shehbaz cut the minister midway, “but sir […] you will find out who is providing the information and who is not […] at best, this can be called a static dashboard.”

“But still, dashboards are a work in progress […],” Iqbal, once again, tried to pacify the prime minister. “They have developed a tool in a short time but as we go on more data will be uploaded.”

But Shehbaz was adamant that the dashboard couldn’t meet international standards and failed to show the colossal damage suffered during the floods.

“This (flood dashboard) is not something the nation or I want. It lacks in many ways [and] it is deficient to our requirement,” the prime minister said as he reprimanded the officials concerned.

He also complained that the dashboard was not fast enough, adding that a lagging portal would not reflect the loss suffered due to the floods as well as the government’s efforts to mitigate their fallout.

The prime minister said that with upcoming international conventions and moots on the horizon, he wanted the dashboard to be of a certain standard and in line with modern expectations.

Here, Haque assured the PM that all his instructions had been noted. “We will try to modify this [the dashboard] and make it better. I request you to inaugurate it today and we will make it better,” he said.

The IT minister also went up to the stage to talk to the official briefing the ceremony.

Subsequently, Shehbaz suggested that the project could be “provisionally” launched today but officially launched next Monday after incorporating his suggestions and criticisms.

The prime minister was assured by the officials that they would resolve the issues he had outlined and convert the dashboard into a real-time platform in a week’s span.

Shehbaz told the two federal ministers to take all the help they needed but develop a “world class” dashboard, adding that it would aid the government for decades to come and any “makeshift” work would be of no benefit.

The prime minister also took updates and briefings on various flood-related topics from officials at the event.

It's been 4 months since the floods...even the water is now receding, aur in say itni der main aik dashboard nhn ban raha. Sonay par suhaga, they are having a friggin inauguration ceremony of a dashboard as if it is a dashboard of the live export statistics or some achievement.

Jitna paisa is ceremony aur arrangement par lagaya hai is say behtar tha yeh paisay kisi charity ko day dete.

One shudders to think what would have happened had these guys been around COVID. The different between NCOC and this flood center is day and night.

It's been 4 months since the floods...even the water is now receding, aur in say itni der main aik dashboard nhn ban raha. Sonay par suhaga, they are having a friggin inauguration ceremony of a dashboard as if it is a dashboard of the live export statistics or some achievement.

Jitna paisa is ceremony aur arrangement par lagaya hai is say behtar tha yeh paisay kisi charity ko day dete.

One shudders to think what would have happened had these guys been around COVID. The different between NCOC and this flood center is day and night.
could it be shobaaz simply putting his foot down after the recent return of dar and his subsequent side lining i.e. dar doing a press conf with maryam etc

Heard the the whole clip, apparently there is going to be a “proper” inauguration again, also he wants the dashboard to be world class so foreign could praise our dashboard lol (wtf)

Holyshit ... they (developers) were caught with their pants down, normally us techies try to use technical lingo and crap to get away with things like not able to meet timelines or if scope of project is not met, there have been few instances in my career where I have seen people getting caught in this but not at such levels

Heard the the whole clip, apparently there is going to be a “proper” inauguration again, also he wants the dashboard to be world class so foreign could praise our dashboard lol (wtf)

What is his idea of a world class dashboard? The clown is just talking nonsense to make himself look like a pro. I bet a map of Pakistan with some numbers dotted around the flood hit areas will be amazing world class stuff for him.

He is called "showbaz" for a reason. I think he wanted to become some sort of actor, thats why he always behave in this weird way.

Give $1000 to a guy on Upwork and he will make a spanking shiny dashboard on Tableau...heck give me the money and I'll make it.

Umar Saif must think it's a huge achievement making this dashboard.

Imagine this, the whole ministry and the PM inaugurating a simple dashboard, the likes of which get made every friggin day as a routine.

The more I read this news the more mad I get.

Holyshit ... they (developers) were caught with their pants down, normally us techies try to use technical lingo and crap to get away with things like not able to meet timelines or if scope of project is not met, there have been few instances in my career where I have seen people getting caught in this but not at such levels

I dont think this had anything to do with the developers, this is just showbaaz being the dramabaaz he is.

Give $1000 to a guy on Upwork and he will make a spanking shiny dashboard on Tableau...heck give me the money and I'll make it.

Umar Saif must think it's a huge achievement making this dashboard.

Imagine this, the whole ministry and the PM inaugurating a simple dashboard, the likes of which get made every friggin day as a routine.

The more I read this news the more mad I get.
Noon league hired all sirarshi , then that will be outcome. Imagine they start tweeting few years ago in english. Still can't tweet correctly.

The dashboard should have been there since ages, considering Pakistan is hit with floods every few years.

Making an actual dashboard is not a very difficult task, but to feed real time data into the dashboard is a challenge. How do they plan to do that?

These patwaris need to learn about setting up PMO to help drive adoption of the products that are being created. Rather than launch new solutions every day with an even more expensive fanfare.

Back
Top Bottom