What's new

Officials left red-faced as PM Shehbaz refuses to launch flood relief dashboard

LOL, If he understood how the data is collected he wouldn't be complaining about it not being realtime. Was he expecting the death counter to increase while he watched? Does the dashboard monitor when someone dies and updates automatically...

The only realtime info on the dashboard would be the time if they had a clock. Every other bit of data such as houses or crops damaged needs to be verified and updated by a person manually. A simple website would update everytime some data is modified in a linked database.
Shobaz is a disabled assministrator by the looks of it. 🤣

Exactly.

Although I thoroughly enjoy Umar Saif getting schooled and this sort of a sham, Shahbaz Sharif was actually blabbering nonsense.

The dashboard (it was made on Tableau Public ffs) was very poorly made. A university grad who is half competent can make a better one.

More so, they didn't bother to spend $70 to get a Tableau Desktop version. They were using a Tableau Public version. Which means that public data of the Republic of Pakistan is widely available to be viewed by anyone in the world. I don't know the exact details of the data but it can be a point of concern.

But more than that, this is the main reason why what Shahbaz Sharif wanted (although stupidly, could not be implemented). I doubt, actually I am 99.9999% sure Shahbaz Sharif himself did not know of it. Tableau Public cannot be used to connect to a database. So for example, if you have an app which a DC or NDMA official can use to enter data and then you save that data to a database, Tableau Public cannot access it. You need to have the paid version for that, which these people did not do.

Now coming to Shahbaz Sharif...what exactly did he want? Is kay samnay bas live updates arahi hon with a notification 'Death in Sanghar'?

The current system (@RescueRanger can tell further about this) is most probably data collection by local agencies/reps and then consolidation at a central level, which gets filled up in an excel sheet. The frequency of update can be 24 hours, or weekly, or whatever. Once that update is done, the updated excel sheet is then used as the data source for Tableau. So it ain't real time.

But to get real time, you don't just need to make a dashboard. You need an associated eco system for that. You need to make a mobile app preferably, which can be used by DC's, ADC's, NDMA/PDMA reps in each district, where they can continuously update the data and then it gets stored in a database, from where it can be fetched as I explained before.

Finally, is hakoomat ka haal khud hi dekh lo where a friggin dashboard is more important and a whole ministry is working on that, and you are having an inauguration ceremony with 50 people for a friggin Tableau dashboard.

Finally, khaak dashboard banna hai when Amin-ul-Haq is responsible for the IT ministry? On the same vein, Sherry Rehman, Asad Mehmood (son of diesel), Amin Ul Haq, Rana Sanaullah, and one other guy are part of the committee investigating the audio leaks. To phir soch lo committee main kitni technical discussion hogi.

We have absolutely gone to the dogs.

Did Pakistan also not inherit the civil services cadre from British Raj? India is run by these officers who are selected by exams and interviews independent of which political party wields power. These are the bureaucrats who are responsible to manage the execution of government policies. Surely, PM Shahbaz is not responsible for the quality of such people. It is the output of entire Pakistani civil society :agree:
merit is murdered long time ago

Exactly.

Although I thoroughly enjoy Umar Saif getting schooled and this sort of a sham, Shahbaz Sharif was actually blabbering nonsense.

The dashboard (it was made on Tableau Public ffs) was very poorly made. A university grad who is half competent can make a better one.

More so, they didn't bother to spend $70 to get a Tableau Desktop version. They were using a Tableau Public version. Which means that public data of the Republic of Pakistan is widely available to be viewed by anyone in the world. I don't know the exact details of the data but it can be a point of concern.

But more than that, this is the main reason why what Shahbaz Sharif wanted (although stupidly, could not be implemented). I doubt, actually I am 99.9999% sure Shahbaz Sharif himself did not know of it. Tableau Public cannot be used to connect to a database. So for example, if you have an app which a DC or NDMA official can use to enter data and then you save that data to a database, Tableau Public cannot access it. You need to have the paid version for that, which these people did not do.

Now coming to Shahbaz Sharif...what exactly did he want? Is kay samnay bas live updates arahi hon with a notification 'Death in Sanghar'?

The current system (@RescueRanger can tell further about this) is most probably data collection by local agencies/reps and then consolidation at a central level, which gets filled up in an excel sheet. The frequency of update can be 24 hours, or weekly, or whatever. Once that update is done, the updated excel sheet is then used as the data source for Tableau. So it ain't real time.

But to get real time, you don't just need to make a dashboard. You need an associated eco system for that. You need to make a mobile app preferably, which can be used by DC's, ADC's, NDMA/PDMA reps in each district, where they can continuously update the data and then it gets stored in a database, from where it can be fetched as I explained before.

Finally, is hakoomat ka haal khud hi dekh lo where a friggin dashboard is more important and a whole ministry is working on that, and you are having an inauguration ceremony with 50 people for a friggin Tableau dashboard.

Finally, khaak dashboard banna hai when Amin-ul-Haq is responsible for the IT ministry? On the same vein, Sherry Rehman, Asad Mehmood (son of diesel), Amin Ul Haq, Rana Sanaullah, and one other guy are part of the committee investigating the audio leaks. To phir soch lo committee main kitni technical discussion hogi.

We have absolutely gone to the dogs.

Sorry for the late reply, to answer your specific question:

This is correct, presently both DA (Damage need assessment) and DSR (Daily Sit Rep) are collected manually in the field or via desk-based research from DDMA, PDMA, Local authorities and NGO/Humanitarian partners. This is then shared in what is called the "Cluster Operation Forum" with all stakeholders in the form of a situation report. The raw data is submitted on a daily basis to NDAM and PDMA respectively for publishing of Alerts and Sit Reps.

There is already a regular information sharing portal used by all professional disaster responders known as the United Nations GDACS( Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System - Virtual On-Site Operations Coordination Centre) or Virtual OSOCC for short. I am including the screenshot for all here below.

I don't know why Pakistan must insist on re-inventing the wheel every time there is a crisis when perfectly good international accepted and benchmark tools exist.

1665306945345.png

Sorry for the late reply, to answer your specific question:

This is correct, presently both DA (Damage need assessment) and DSR (Daily Sit Rep) are collected manually in the field or via desk-based research from DDMA, PDMA, Local authorities and NGO/Humanitarian partners. This is then shared in what is called the "Cluster Operation Forum" with all stakeholders in the form of a situation report. The raw data is submitted on a daily basis to NDAM and PDMA respectively for publishing of Alerts and Sit Reps.

There is already a regular information sharing portal used by all professional disaster responders known as the United Nations GDACS( Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System - Virtual On-Site Operations Coordination Centre) or Virtual OSOCC for short. I am including the screenshot for all here below.

I don't know why Pakistan must insist on re-inventing the wheel every time there is a crisis when perfectly good international accepted and benchmark tools exist.

View attachment 885853

So understanding correctly, GDAC is free for use by UN countries and they can use it as a data consolidation and dispersion service?

We need institutions independent of government interference most likely to be run or supervised by the like of Islamabad Uni etc under some good organizer. Considering these little pri*k's politicians whatever they touch ruin it just keep them away from the poor people where lives are at stake.

Give $1000 to a guy on Upwork and he will make a spanking shiny dashboard on Tableau...heck give me the money and I'll make it.

Umar Saif must think it's a huge achievement making this dashboard.

Imagine this, the whole ministry and the PM inaugurating a simple dashboard, the likes of which get made every friggin day as a routine.

The more I read this news the more mad I get.
Are you saying SS rejected it because he didn't make enough money from the Dashboard development?

So understanding correctly, GDAC is free for use by UN countries and they can use it as a data consolidation and dispersion service?
Yes it's a completely free to use service.

Back
Top Bottom