What's new

Officers Detained at Dulles, Call off visit

The fact remains, that the officers should have stayed, expressed their dismay openly but still should have stayed and conducted the meeting.
IMO, I think that depends on how they were humiliated. Were they merely confined for a few minutes or did TSA compel them to take off their belts so their trousers fell down in view of the public?

That last trick I witnessed myself. The victim was a handicapped relative of mine and an American citizen. So I want to hear more from the Pakistani delegation - it'll make a better letter to my congressman.

No they were not handicapped or anything like that but they were interrogated by TSA For 2 hours.Not a big deal for common citizens like us but hey they were carrying diplomatic passports.All Diplomats in Pakistan get vip treatment except for Indian Diplomats and i am sure it is same around the world with diplomatic immunity.When TSA realized the mistake they then released them.TSA should have let them call CENTCOM or Pakistani Embassy the problem would have been solved in a matter minutes. (Officers asked several times to be allowed to call CENTCOM But TSA refused).

No they were not handicapped or anything like that but they were interrogated by TSA For 2 hours.Not a big deal for common citizens like us but hey they were carrying diplomatic passports.All Diplomats in Pakistan get vip treatment except for Indian Diplomats and i am sure it is same around the world with diplomatic immunity.When TSA realized the mistake they then released them.TSA should have let them call CENTCOM or Pakistani Embassy the problem would have been solved in a matter minutes. (Officers asked several times to be allowed to call CENTCOM But TSA refused).

Difference between Official Passport and Diplomatic Passport.

Difference between Official Passport and Diplomatic Passport.
So Official Passport does not have the same value as Diplomatic passports?I don't think anyone on Pakistan's visit with Official Passport has been mistreated ever at the security.TSA did not even let them call Embassy or CENTCOM knowing fully well that they had official passports.

Its hilarious..People who are fighting the war against terror for USA..being arrested and interrogated as terrorists..I can laugh and laugh....and laugh on this.

So Official Passport does not have the same value as Diplomatic passports?I don't think anyone on Pakistan's visit with Official Passport has been mistreated ever at the security.TSA did not even let them call Embassy or CENTCOM knowing fully well that they had official passports.

Diplomatic passport means you're protected with diplomatic immunity under the Veinna convention. Official passport means government functionary on official or private business. Of course it has value, far more than an ordinary one but not a diplomatic one. Diplomatic passport means much more.

only if some one walks in shoes of ordinary Pakistanis , one can know how people feel about US , however i am really amzaed that people could get so low that they would sell there own nation just for the sake of earning a few $$s in US, !!!
The good thing abt US is , they make sure ppl living there are not namak haram, either by force , or by issuing deporting threats ,or in few cases by giving them the perks .. But what price does an International immigrant particularly of Pakistani decent has to pay , Sm ppl living there say that they are being watched and tracked so much that they have no choice but to whag there tail in favor of US no matter what , those who dont, the end up in a pretty bad situation or more likely deported.. !!!!

Sir,

What you have been smoking is not allowed---even in the prescription form.

It wasn't the Pakistani Gonoral, but the Pakistani Birgardear.

Hi,

In the US a brigadier is a general---isn't it.

And also for the indians---you must remember---your defence minister A K Antony was searched on the u s airport while on this way to south america a year or two ago. That caused a small diplomatic furor in india.

Truthfully, this was not a small incident----we were sitting on a hair trigger----one mistake---one error on part of the TSa or the generals---could have been catastrophic.

Just imagine---the TSA agaent got a little more physical---the general reacted---guns drawn---maybe a shot fired---a general wounded or dead---back in pakistan---millitary is furious----some renegades strike americans in pakistan etc etc etc.

This incident could have developed into a scenario forwar very easily---next time---there must be better co-ordination between the two millitaries----the TSA must be informed about the delegation so they are familiar with who is who.

The issue over here should be WHAT IF----we were sitting on a dry powder keg----yes it is understandable that the TSA has to do what it does---and it can get away with with humiliating muslim citizens all the time---but what if---.

The TSA reacts like it wants to have a go at someone---desperately---in a way---the generals didnot over react---they could have after a flight of 12---15 hours in the air---a person can turn into a grizzly---.

TSA---like everyone has a famous saying---there was a lack of co-ordination---the agent should have called his superior a little sooner---we realize our mistake---we are looking into it---.

Last edited:
IMO, I think that depends on how they were humiliated. Were they merely confined for a few minutes or did TSA compel them to take off their belts so their trousers fell down in view of the public?

If the trousers would have fallen down, then the sissy yankees would have gone more panicked.

That last trick I witnessed myself. The victim was a handicapped relative of mine and an American citizen. So I want to hear more from the Pakistani delegation - it'll make a better letter to my congressman.

So so far you were commenting without knowing much right?

At the risk of being shouted down, I think we people from the subcontinent make too much noise about these things. I agree that at times these checks start bordering on ridiculous, but then I would prefer being at the receiving end of a nonsensical delay than looking at the business end of a weapon while in flight.

Recently there was a nautanki that Shahrukh Khan indulged in when he was detained. I mean we folks from the subcontinent cry foul just too fast.

Karan security checks are ok NO one object to these BUT the problem is that American paranoid media and their policy makers have media have made their own public hostage to unseen, unrealistic fear. This policy of creating fear in own public for selling Pentagon policies are only damaging the americans.

This attitude should be changed.

Here in our country this same attitude is adopted by some burger families specially some modern ladies with over dose of make up if see a man in shalwar kameez in a bus they unnecessarily make ugly faces

Hi,

It is a new drug and it gives a different kind of a high---surprising isn't it---. This drug is called the ' I don't like your skin color---I don't like your ethnicity---I don't like your religion---so I am going to call the air hostess and make a complaint'----the high that I get when I see the TSA coming in with their hands on their guns and the person I didnot like, being whisked away for INTERROGATION---that gives me priceless satisfaction.

So many of these complaints are for the perverse pleasure that people get in putting others to trouble. So many want to be the the pope.

i know about the halaat of those TSA officials; they are high-school educated, redneck kids who can't even pronounce the names of the countries they are talking about

how DARE they detain or inconvenience our servicemen?? And how DARE the State Department and Pentagon not demonstrate alacrity by being quicker to intervene?

good decision taken by delegation.......the hell with it! They are PAKISTAN Army officials, not some ragtag uniformed men from some random part of the world.

When Mcchrystal or Petraus come to Pakistan, they are given VIP arrangements from the airport to the guesthouse.

WASHINGTON: A Pakistani military delegation became the latest victim of the paranoia permeating US airports on Monday night, when US security officials detained a brigadier at Washington’s Dulles airport on a complaint by a passenger who said he did not feel safe sharing the flight with the delegation.

The brigadier was removed from the United Airlines flight, and others in this eight-member delegation were also detained after they disembarked. They were later released.

The dispute became a major diplomatic row as the delegation, offended by this treatment, decided to cancel an important meeting at the headquarters of the US Central Command in Tampa, Florida, on Tuesday, and return home.

By the time the US Department of Defence apologised to the delegation, their leader, a two-star naval officer, had already informed Islamabad where officials approved his decision to return home on Tuesday night.

The delegation included senior officials from all three services, the army, the navy and the air force.

Dawn contacted the US Transport Security Administration, whose officials had detained the brigadier, and the Department of Homeland Security but failed to get a response.

Mathew Chandler, a DHS spokesman, and Lauren Gaches of TSA, however, asked Dawn to contact the airline.

United Airlines officials, however, told the US media that the brigadier, whose name was not disclosed, had misbehaved with a stewardess and told her that “this would be her last mission”.

Information collected by Dawn showed that the incident that led to the cancellation of the meeting happened at Washington’s Dulles airport on Monday night when a passenger on the flight to Tampa complained that a Pakistani brigadier, while talking to his colleagues, had made remarks that he found threatening.

Officials of the airline informed the Transport Security Administration who detained the brigadier and later other officials as well.

A Pakistani official, when asked to comment on the airline’s claim, said: “This is a delegation of senior officials, led by a two-star officer, not unit captains and majors. Such responsible officers do not indulge in such behaviour.”

Information collected by Dawn also confirmed the Pakistani claim as the plane was delayed for 40 minutes before the airline’s mentioned the alleged altercation between the brigadier and the stewardess.

Later, an official of the airline came with a TSA security officer and asked the brigadier to disembark. She gave no reason.

The head of the delegation asked the brigadier to get down and cooperate with the TSA. The brigadier disclosed his identity.

There was no response for about 15-20 minutes and then the airline and security officials asked the entire delegation to get off the plane.

The leader of the Pakistani delegation showed TSA officials an invitation letter from the Centcom, confirming that they were going to Tampa for a meeting. He also showed them all the passports that identified the delegation as senior military officers.

He then requested to talk to a senior TSA official or the person in-charge of security at the airport but his request was turned down.

“They did not let them speak and treated them like terrorists,” said a Pakistani official. “The investigators were unprofessional, junior officials.”

The official said that the TSA and airlines officials kept telling the delegation that a passenger found the brigadier’s remarks threatening but did not say what those remarks were.

“The delegation was detained for two hours, telling them nothing, not allowing them to talk to anyone,” said the Pakistani official.

“They received no response even when they showed them their passports and the Centcom letter,” the official said.

“At the end, they realised their mistake and apologised but by then the delegation had decided it did not want to take that flight.”

Explaining why the delegation decided to cancel the meeting and return home, the official said it was basically because of the humiliating treatment by the TSA and airline staff.

“They could not prove any of the allegations. What we gathered is that one of the passengers became paranoid, so they decided to detain an official delegation. This is an issue of paranoia,” said the official who said the Pakistani forces will hold their own inquiry to determine what caused this humiliating behaviour.

In Islamabad, the Inter Services Public Relations said: “A Pakistani military delegation on a visit to US (on US invitation to attend a meeting at Centcom) was subjected to unwarranted security checks at Washington airport by US Transport Security Agency. Later, the delegation was cleared and US defence officials regretted the incident. However, as a result of these checks, military authorities in Pakistan decided to cancel the visit and call the delegation back.”

DAWN.COM | Front Page | Military officers cancel trip after humiliation at US airport

at least it involved our servicemen; they will never tolerate BS like this, unlike Zardari and his goons who would be handcuffed with one hand while shaking hands with TSA officers with the other

a continued ''no-BS'' outlook and policy --whether its ''allies'' or non-allies should be followed

A Two Star Gen detained and release! I think Fata senators responded well enough couple of year ago.
US authorities should be told in clearcut manner what is an official tour means.

my uncle knew one of them; they talked about it

they basically looked at eachother, said ''hell no!!'' and stormed back to Pakistan. In a nut-shell.

Back
Top Bottom