What's new

No houses on rent for Indians in Singapore

Dude not sure which school system you went to but my wife says they are stressing English classes in lower and lower grades. It isn't just some elite thing. Even my nephew who is like 8 speaks English pretty well.

English is the lingual Franca in India and the US, I'm sure all of you speak really well. There's no doubt it. It's your reasoning skill that I'm questioning.

English is not even my second language. :coffee:

Last edited:
True, but c'mon east asians should be the last people to complain about the smell of food. Try walking past the door of a Viet or Filipino household :lol:

Vietnamese and Filipinos are not East Asian. East Asian means China, Japan, Korea and Mongolia.

I do agree that Singaporean food has a very strong smell. It is mostly based off Chinese Hokkien cuisine, which also has a strong smell (and great taste).

I've been to Singapore several times, they may even discriminate against Hong Kongers like me. Not to mention Mainlanders and Taiwanese too. Even though all these groups are ethnic Chinese, just like them.

Discrimination is a part of the human condition, and ethnic Chinese are just as bad (or sometimes worse) than others.

All I can say, is their country their rules. As a Hong Konger I am by definition a PRC national, my passport first says PRC then HK SAR. So I won't try to rent an apartment in Singapore either.

I eat curry sometimes. Ironically, Singaporean cuisine is filled with curry dishes too.

Vietnamese and Filipinos are not East Asian. East Asian means China, Japan, Korea and Mongolia.

I do agree that Singaporean food has a very strong smell. It is mostly based off Chinese Hokkien cuisine, which also has a strong smell (and great taste).

I've been to Singapore several times, they may even discriminate against Hong Kongers like me. Not to mention Mainlanders and Taiwanese too. Even though all these groups are ethnic Chinese, just like them.

Discrimination is a part of the human condition, and ethnic Chinese are just as bad (or sometimes worse) than others.

All I can say, is their country their rules. As a Hong Konger I am by definition a PRC national, my passport first says PRC then HK SAR. So I won't try to rent an apartment in Singapore either.

I eat curry sometimes. Ironically, Singaporean cuisine is filled with curry dishes too.

Well technically they are East Asians too, South East Asians and you guys are North East Asians :P And there is no written rule per say, just individual bias and discrimination.

English is the lingual Franca in India and the US, I'm sure all of you speak really well. There's no doubt it. It's your reasoning skill that I'm questioning.
Indians cant speak English very well.Most of them can write it only.

Turmeric is not added in every food. And Pakistani food is no different than ours. They even use Indian names in Pakistani restaurant menus. Check this one, the owner is Pakistani.
http://www.themanzil.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Restaurant-Menus.pdf

same name foods taste totally different in Indian and Pakistani restaurant, some of out food also use the same name as middle eastern but that doesnt mean they taste the same...example kofta is Turkish disk so is kobab but taste totally different

New definition of HINDU CHINNI BHAI BHAI.
hahaha............funniest part on this thread so far

On a serious note according to US diplomat's observation one of the reasons why Indians and Chinese from PRC are not welcome in Singapore is for because of not being able to speak in English

English is not even my second language. :coffee:

My reasoning skills? You take stupid to a new level! I'm white and married to a Chinese national (now US citizen) and you spend like 10 pages calling me an Indian!!!!

You then basically say you can guarantee 100% that anybody who works in manufacturing has zero chance of understanding English.

I tell you my even my nephew who is like 8 can speak English fine and my wife obviously learned it in school too...long long ago.

No wonder she took her PhD and left!

Here you and some other guys on this forum speak English fine.
Do you feel you were taught that in college or do you believe your IQ is far above somebody in manufacturing and their's is too low to comprehend anything but the most basic of skills.

Last edited:
My reasoning skills? You take stupid to a new level! I'm white and married to a Chinese national (now US citizen) and you spend like 10 pages calling me an Indian!!!!

You then basically say you can guarantee 100% that anybody who works in manufacturing has zero chance of understanding English.

I tell you my even my nephew who is like 8 can speak English fine and my wife obviously learned it in school too...long long ago.

No wonder she took her PhD and left!

Here you and some other guys on this forum speak English fine.
Do you feel you were taught that in college or do you believe your IQ is far above somebody in manufacturing and their's is too low to comprehend anything but the most basic of skills.

@Fattyacids is right, English speaking skills are not common in China.

Hell, I'm from Hong Kong, and even regular Hong Kongers on the street will not speak much English. If you're lucky, you'll get maybe one or two sentences, then they will switch back to Chinese by default.

I can speak English because I went to an International school. But others will have no need or interest in learning English beyond the bare basics, even the richest and most educated Hong Kongers will not have good English.

It's not about being elite, Hu Jintao to my knowledge never spoke a word of English.

@Fattyacids is right, English speaking skills are not common in China.

Hell, I'm from Hong Kong, and even regular Hong Kongers on the street will not speak much English. If you're lucky, you'll get maybe one or two sentences, then they will switch back to Chinese by default.

I can speak English because I went to an International school. But others will have no need or interest in learning English beyond the bare basics, even the richest and most educated Hong Kongers will not have good English.

It's not about being elite, Hu Jintao to my knowledge never spoke a word of English.

My wife and her family are from an area in Inner Mongolia. Not exactly cosmopolitan.

His generalizations and his feeling of elitism are a disgrace.

I didn't say everybody in China knows English. I said people in manufacturing are not all backwards with zero chance of understanding another language like English - remember he slammed people I manufacturing saying he can 100% guarantee none of them can understand English.

And if your feelings are similar to his you should look in the mirror yourself.

Last edited:
All I can say, is their country their rules..

Nope thats an excuse!
Its one earth and we have one rule.We live in the 21st century, when the word discrimnation should 've been a thing of past.
Homosapiens 've evolved and 're still evolving.And this kind of stone age mentality has to be dealt with sternly.
This ad proves that APARTHEID still exists but is guised.

we are talking about smelly food, last time I cooked daal it did not fill the house with curry smell

Yes, you don't eat curry but you eat hummus and falafel.
4fvfcja.gif

My wife and her family are from an area in Inner Mongolia. Not exactly cosmopolitan.

But they are in the USA right?

So it makes sense that they would learn English, either before going, or after arriving, or likely both.

Chinese in China generally do not have the level of English fluency required to conduct an in-depth conversation. Even in Hong Kong, you won't get more than a few sentences in English from the average person on the street, before they default back to Chinese.

Again, it has nothing to do with elitism. Hu Jintao to my knowledge never even spoke a single word of English. Nobody in the universe would believe I am more elite than Hu Jintao just because I can speak English, the idea is ridiculous.

Nope thats an excuse!
Its one earth and we have one rule.We live in the 21st century, when the word discrimnation should 've been a thing of past.
Homosapiens 've evolved and 're still evolving.And this kind of stone age mentality has to be dealt with sternly.
This ad proves that APARTHEID still exists but is guised.

If they don't want me to rent a house there because my passport says "Hong Kong PRC"... then I won't rent a house there.

Why should I rent a house where I'm not wanted?

Funnily enough Singaporeans eat far more curry than ANY other ethnic Chinese groups, it's a big part of their national cuisine. So for them to complain about curry cooking is a bit rich.

Yes, you don't eat curry but you eat hummus and falafel.
4fvfcja.gif

no we eat curry but we dont add a pound of turmeric in every food
only one time in my life I went to Indian restaurant with my college roommate who was praising vegi thali restaurant in Pittsburgh, so one day I said lets go...well it was the funniest thing i ever seen in my life, 8 tiny cups had spoonful vegetable salan each. I couldnt taste the difference from one to the other all were colored yellow with turmeric, with 2 chappatis. I was so angry at him for taking me there, an hour drive for this!! on the way back to campus we stopped at McD's just to fill the rest 3/4 of my stomach.

Back
Top Bottom