What's new

New Chinese Submarine

index.php

This thing is huge. The middle one is a Yuan and they already displace 4200 tons. The Qing looks to displace at least 6000 tons. Larger then some SSBNs

So NATO has given this sub code name "Qing" class? According to Huitong's website, he described it as below:-

The first boat of a much improved Yuan class (Type 039B?) was just launched at Wuhan Shipyard on September 9, 2010. This class has been speculated to feature a new sonar system (flank sonar arrays?), a new surveillance and targeting system (periscope, radar etc.), and a new weapon system (possibly long-range AshM launched from torpedo tubes). The submarine also adopts some advance features learned from the Russian 636 class design, such as the hull mounted retractable foreplanes. The sail appears wider but more hydrodynamically streamlined and stretched compared to that of 039A which might house a short-range SAM system for self-protection against slow-moving ASW aircraft. Its submerged displayment might have been increased to 4,200t. As the result its noise level is expected to have been further reduced. However there is no indication that 039B carries a towed array sonar. The overall performance of the improved Yuan (may be assigned a new class name by the west in the future) is thought to be comparable to the latest Japanese Soryu class SSG.
- Last Updated 1/4/11

The one infront is a Yuan class, the back one is a new class not yet identified. Photos of these 2 subs have been in Internet for few months now.
looks more like a design close to soryo class (Japan)

I feel soryu is more advanced. It also uses an x-plane tail that is seen in the earlier dutch zeeleeuw walrus class submarine. Compared to the traditional cross, it allows for finer depth control, and simplifies bottoming and mooring.

I feel soryu is more advanced. It also uses an x-plane tail that is seen in the earlier dutch zeeleeuw walrus class submarine. Compared to the traditional cross, it allows for finer depth control, and simplifies bottoming and mooring.

Honestly we don't even know what its tail looks like. Its also a bit simplistic to look at the tail of a sub decide its more advanced without looking at anything else.

I know you can't judge by looks but the soryu seems to have better finish and details compared to chinese submarines.

I know you can't judge by looks but the soryu seems to have better finish and details compared to chinese submarines.

The Graney class has crappy finish and details as well but a single one is more capable than all the Japanese subs put together.

Its what some people are calling it on the other forums

I see.

BTW, have you heard of the Type 094-I, Type 094-II, and Type 094-III submarines? Apparently the Type 094-II has 16 missile tubes while the Type 094-III has 20-24 missile tubes.

It is suspected that the Type 094-III is in fact the Type 096.

Here's a model of the Type 094-II:

20101202032957163.jpg

Modifications on Chinese subs is like modifications on type 99s. They are not the same thing anymore at all.

Back
Top Bottom