What's new

Need help deciding - Engineering Program

Sayfullah

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
What’s the best engineering undergrad degree program to study in North America? My little bro is going into engineering but can’t decide between Aerospace, Mechanical or Mechatronics engineering. He likes all 3 but doesn’t know which one to choose from. Is there anyone studying one of these engineerings and would you recommend it? He doesn’t want to do more than a Masters in the future. No one in my family did or wants to do engineering so we don’t know anything about it lool.

What’s the best engineering undergrad degree program to study in North America? My little bro is going into engineering but can’t decide between Aerospace, Mechanical or Mechatronics engineering. He likes all 3 but doesn’t know which one to choose from. Is there anyone studying one of these engineerings and would you recommend it? He doesn’t want to do more than a Masters in the future. No one in my family did or wants to do engineering so we don’t know anything about it lool.

CSE (Computer Science Engineering)/ AI & ML/ Nano-technology/ Data Science Engineering: These are the engineering courses of immense importance in todays world. ECE is also good.

For other core engineering courses, he can go for Mechanical or Aerospace if he is keen. I would not suggest to go for mechatronics at all as this is a fancy subject mushrooming everywhere with little demand world-wide. IMO, in not very distant future, requirement of core engineering will be be less & less as most of the core engineering solutions will be obtained through computer software.

CSE (Computer Science Engineering)/ AI & ML/ Nano-technology/ Data Science Engineering: These are the engineering courses of immense importance in todays world. ECE is also good.

For other core engineering courses, he can go for Mechanical or Aerospace if he is keen. I would not suggest to go for mechatronics at all as this is a fancy subject mushrooming everywhere with little demand world-wide. IMO, in not very distant future, requirement of core engineering will be be less & less as most of the core engineering solutions will be obtained through computer software.
Thank you for your insight.
He’s not that into Comp Sci. He’s more into Aerospace but my parents don’t want him going into it cuz they think there isn’t that many jobs for it. Mechatronics is a new engineering some universities here started offering and it’s a mix of a couple engineering’s, so my parents want him to go into it. Nanotech engineering is also a good one but idk if it’s being offered at the university he wants to go to.

Do what he is interested in learning and don't look at it from a jobs perspective.
Programming and CSE should be foundational , not as a selected stream.

Ive seen people 10 years in the rabbit hole , not being able to excel or have been stuck in rut because they only do it to make ends meet(these people also bring down productivity).

Learning anything with high complexity/learning curve(usually wrt math and algorithms) , will put you in a position to negotiate better numbers, as the competition will be less. Don't go for general computing or Blanket technologies (this can be learnt on the side), pick a high complexity niche and absorb everything about it/

Subject interest is absolutely everything in my opinion.
Help them, envision what they are willing to do for the rest of there lives.

Last edited:
For folks who are undecided about which branch they prefer, but they are not keen on CSE, the safe bet is to take up Electrical or Mechanical engineering. This, along with Civil Engg are the oldest disciplines and will have you covered. In the first year almost everyone studies the same things - Physics, Chemistry, Calculus, Thermodynamics, Fundamentals of CSE etc. Before micro specializations became popular, all engineers were bascially Elec or Mech engineers. You gain almost all your knowledge on the job.

Aerospace tends to be a bit more specialized as they teach you about propulsion systems, Aerodynamic design, aircraft structures etc.

Electrical, Mechanical or chemical engineering. These are the three major engineering field. Mechanical being the meat and potato of everything. With mechanical under his belt he can switch to any other engineering major or job in the future. There are always jobs for these 3 fields.

Petroleum and Aerospace are industry specific majors so his job opportunities will be narrow to those specific industries.

CSE (Computer Science Engineering)/ AI & ML/ Nano-technology/ Data Science Engineering is the real deal right now. It’s a relative easier engineering major with massive return. Currently Data scientist, AI engineers are making up to $400,000 per years. No other engineering major pays you that much only exception if you have years of experience and PhD in petroleum engineering.

I only heard people talking about Mechatronics in Pakistan. Unless he is plan on attending MIT or something, I stay clear of these fancy sounding majors. Let him know to keep his GPA above 3.0. Otherwise companies are less likely to hire him.

Last edited:
Thank’s for your inputs.
I’ll let him know. He’s less into coding so he probably won’t like data science engineering as much. However nano tech engineering is something the university he wants to go to offers. The university he’s trying to go to is probably the best or one of the best in Canada for engineering.
For Canadians here, he wants to go to University of Waterloo or University of Toronto. He has Ontario Tech University has backup if he doesn’t get into the first 2.
University of Toronto only offers the well known engineering like mechanical, electrical, aerospace, chemical etc.

How much different is computer science engineering to computer engineering? We have computer engineering here but not computer science engineering. I think it might be the same thing.

Aerospace is tough if you’re not in America. You face job barriers there in Aerospace if you don’t hold US citizenship. I have seen some guys with success in this field so you have to look at what kind of jobs you’d like. I don’t know much about mechanical. Me Jafri ice exposes you to many different things like electronics and programming so you might have more job options upon graduation. But please look into things further before deciding

Try Civil Engineering. That is the easiest or Environmental Engineering.

1668723079694.png

For some reason, all my civil engineer friends aren’t happy with their profession
They may not be happy with their profession, but civil and environmental engineering is the easiest.

Electrical and computer engineering is the hardest disciplines.

Both Mechanical and Mechatronics are good courses. I did both my undergrad and grad studies in Mechanical Engg. Off late, in all the interviews in the company I have been part of, I have noticed that mechatronics candidates have been pretty weak compared to mechanical and electrical candidates. But my sample size is relatively small. I would say enroll in Mechanical engineering and encourage him to take a few electronics and controls classes when he is a Sophomore or junior, if he likes it he can switch and graduate in mechatronics instead.

Aerospace is also a good course, but with a mechanical engineering degree, you can pretty much apply for every aerospace job listing out there. There are hardly any jobs out there which will call for an Aerospace degree and not consider a mechanical degree.

Thank you for your insight.
He’s not that into Comp Sci. He’s more into Aerospace but my parents don’t want him going into it cuz they think there isn’t that many jobs for it. Mechatronics is a new engineering some universities here started offering and it’s a mix of a couple engineering’s, so my parents want him to go into it. Nanotech engineering is also a good one but idk if it’s being offered at the university he wants to go to.

1. He wants to stay in USA?
2. He is interested in Aerospace engineering?
3. He is very good in studies?

If the answer to each question is YES then encourage him to consider Aerospace engineering.

But he should develop "secondary skills" just in case.

Back
Top Bottom