What's new

Navy eyes high-tech options for future aircraft carriers

Didn't even know they have planes for that. Unless they are training on the Hornet.

Off course USN Pilots will train IN pilots on Hornet. We don't have CATOBAR plane, but we have plan to have CATOBAR Carrier in future.

For INS Vishal (65K ton CATOBAR Carrier) India will buy Either American or European Fighter planes.. Even there is a plan to have 5th generation Indigenous 20Tonn class fighter plane (name AMCA), But it will take some time.

Aftr Soviet Union collapse Indo-US relation have redefined.

Google earth has contract to only let 2 yr old sensitive military images be seen publicly.

This is really an information for me.. Thanks..

Google earth has contract to only let 2 yr old sensitive military images be seen publicly.

That image was taken right when Vikrant was being sent back to the dry docks.

And when it was "floated" out it was shown floating outside the dry docks too.

2z3qt8g.jpg

Floated out in 2012

AFPcbXL.jpg

Sent back in.

You can also see INS Viraat on top getting the refit from the end of 2012, beginning of 2013.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian...at-heads-5-month-long-refit-setback-navy.html

I'm actually aware of the fact that India has been operating an Aircraft carrier, I was talking about building an indigenous one on its own.

Costing is one major factor along with the capability.

IAC-1 will be out around 2017/18. The only major problem it suffered was gearbox and the the road accident of the vehicle carrying replacement gearbox. Nobody in India every made that kinda gearbox before. Rest of the things were pretty normal.

Its not the first project india does,india has benn operating full scale aircraft carriers for 60+ yrs from 1950s.We have a huge coastilen and cover the indina ocean .the most important waterway in the world.The navy has a requirement of 3 aircraft carriers.
We operate one carrier nowthat will be retired once the new 45000 ton russian built INS vikramaditya with mig-29ks joins the fleet in december this yr.We will get our first indigeneous carrier in 2016 ,which is now finishing construction.This article is about our future first CATOBAR carrier of 65000 tons.And that ai'nt coming before 2025.India won'rt be operating 3 carriers before that.

we'll get Vikrant in 2018 or later as it's schedule is delayed by 2 years.but good news is that India is parallelly building Vishal and hopefully it'll come around 2022.

Didn't even know they have planes for that. Unless they are training on the Hornet.

The IN's new mig 29Ks are STOBAR, and they are getting trained in the US (initially) for the arrested landings, until the SBTF at INS Hansa gets completed.

If they opt for a CATOBAR config for the next carrier, I am sure they will initially go for training in the US for that as well. Sadly, it has been decades since IN operated a CATOBAR carrier.

The IN's new mig 29Ks are STOBAR, and they are getting trained in the US (initially) for the arrested landings, until the SBTF at INS Hansa gets completed.

If they opt for a CATOBAR config for the next carrier, I am sure they will initially go for training in the US for that as well. Sadly, it has been decades since IN operated a CATOBAR carrier.

Indian Navy pilots have been receiving training on the USN T-45 Goshawk at NAS Kingsville Training Air Wing Two since 2006.

Indian navy is moving on to modular construction,this will greatly reduce cost and time.
India will start modular construction on the next generation of stealthier frigates.Time for construction will be reduced to only two years @sancho @Abingdonboy or any senior member can us give more details.

It will easily take 10 years. Project 15B destroyers building by modular construction approach will take between 66-72 months. Thus we can easily add 50 more months while building a carrier.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is also a doubt that we will get our hands on the EMALS without any bargain from US side. We have to buy some military hardware along with it to make the deal worth. We might have to go for F-18 or F35s along with the EMALS. They are not going to give the EMALS without any strings and not without some bug ticket items.

It will easily take 10 years. Project 15B destroyers building by modular construction approach will take between 66-72 months. Thus we can easily add 50 more months while building a carrier.

For 1 DDG ?

For 1 DDG ?

66-72 months for each destroyers. Though destroyers will be built parallely, thus I expect all the four destroyers to be operational by 2022.

66-72 months for each destroyers. Though destroyers will be built parallely, thus I expect all the four destroyers to be operational by 2022.

The Baltic Shipyard will produce four sets of shaft lines for India's newest torpedo-boat destroyers under Project 15B, which will be built at shipyards in Mumbai from 2018 to 2024, a source in the Russian defence industry told Interfax.

The shafts are expected to be ready by 2017, Baltic Shipyard said on its website: “Under the terms of the contract concluded between Baltic Shipyard LLC, Rosoboronexport, and the foreign customer, Baltic Shipyard is to produce four sets of shaft lines by the year 2017

Indian Defence Minister A K Antony previously stated that his ministry had signed a contract with MDL in January 2011 for the construction of four new Project 15B destroyers. The ships are due to be built sequentially in June 2018, 2020, 2022, and 2024.

Thats the expected timeline actually..So the 66-72 months time line is not for 1 destroyer, its for all destroyers and going by that logic INS Vishal will not take 10 years to built, my calculation is 6-7 years.

Does any one knows Indian Pilots are going to USN Nimitz class carrier?

They will learn CATOBAR operation....

This has been going on for some time:

Livefist: Photos: Indian Navy pilots carrier training in the US

IN pilots train in CATOBAR ops alongside USN pilots on the USN's T-45s. Eventually the idea is for the IN to have their own training program inside India so they'll be purchasing CATOBAR capable trainers (probably T-45s) before too long so that the IN doesn't have to send their pilots outside India to train.

Back
Top Bottom