What's new

N-powered sub Arihant all set to sail out from Vizag

Captain I have had this fear, this deep and seething fear, lodged in my being. That we have become Bangladesh- all that is missing is a liberal dosage of hilsa. We have become so partisan and so blind to the realities of politics- so accustomed to raising our leader on to the pedestal of divinity and demonizing the other as the danavs of old that no worthwhile discussion or exchange remains possible on this forum. :frown:

Yes I can see that. And I'm inclined to agree with you in some measure.
And this lot will take India into the future?
Reminds of the saying (paraphrased): "yatha Praja tatha Raja".

Let's just ignore trolls.

On topic - There are 4 subs to be built under this class - right? Are they going to be incorporated in some fleet for tactical purposes or reduced to strategic duties only? Any info?

The problem with these Congressis is much more severe than I expected.

We might have to stuff some of these crazy Congressis into concentration style camps once their luck runs out in 2014 to get rid of such fi-lth in our nation...

Let's just ignore trolls.

On topic - There are 4 subs to be built under this class - right? Are they going to be incorporated in some fleet for tactical purposes or reduced to strategic duties only? Any info?

Well...depends upon what A K Antony has decided, I'm sure he's given it a lot of thought.

The problem with these Congressis is much more severe than I expected.

We might have to stuff some of these crazy Congressis into concentration style camps once their luck runs out in 2014 to get rid of such fi-lth in our nation...

So you also got the same incurable disease as that "guynextdoor" fellow? Do you even have a CLUE to what the subjet of this thread is?
God help India.

So you also got the same incurable disease as that "guynextdoor" fellow? Do you even have a CLUE to what the subjet of this thread is?
God help India.

In my defense he started trolling first. I just like to counter-troll...

Govt of India = Congress for most of India's history. Congress also started the Arihant Project.

Please stop politics in defence section & for your Information Indira Gandhi ordered to start study on nuclear subs but physical work starts from 1998. I think you have sufficient knowledge that who was in power that time. If defence & foreign policies effected by ruling parties then BJP cancels ATV project to prevent congress to take credit.

I requests you & all Rahul & Modi fans that don't bring internal politics in defence & strategic discussions.

Naaa he's just a bot
@Oscar Sir, a thread ban is perhaps in order- for ALL concerned. You can be the judge of that- this particular poster has politicized every single technical defense related thread there is. There are others too who follow in after him in some vain effort to "counter" the drivel being passed around like children in the wake of the pied piper. Please spare some time and see if the thread can be cleaned up so that we can get back to the topic at hand.

I am sure that other senior members such as @Capt.Popeye will concur.

Last edited by a moderator:
What the hell is happening in my thread? :hitwall:
@Guynextdoor2 & other members. I humbly request you all to come back to topic. I am taking the initiative

Following is the article from HINDU dated Jan 2012

At a time when diminishing operational availability of its conventional submarine fleet has put the Navy in dire straits, it has some reason to cheer.

Informed sources told The Hindu that the construction of a second Arihant-class nuclear submarine, to be named INS Aridaman, is moving fast at the Shipbuilding Centre (SBC) in Visakhapatnam. It is slated for launch by this year-end or in the first quarter of next year.

“The boat, under outfitting now, is headed for a year-end launch. Meanwhile, hull fabrication is on for the third Arihant-class nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine,” the sources said.

“Unlike surface vessels, submarines are fully outfitted before launch, which makes it a prerequisite for its weapons to be tested and ready well in advance.”

The first submarine of the class, INS Arihant, launched in July 2009, Arihant just completed its harbour acceptance trials and is set to undergo the crucial sea acceptance trials in February.

“This will be followed by weapon trials before the submarine is formally inducted into the Navy, hopefully in 2013, when the country will attain the much-desired nuclear triad,” the sources said.

Concurrently, nuclear-powered submarine INS Chakra, borrowed on a 10-year lease from Russia mainly for training purposes, will be inducted in the latter half of 2012.

Troubled by the eroding strength of its conventional underwater arm, the Navy's ‘blue water' aspirations remained in the realm of wishful thinking, with the force failing to add event a single submarine to its inventory in the last decade.

With the Advanced Technology Vessel (ATV) programme to indigenously design and build nuclear-powered attack submarines gaining momentum after years of indecision and disorientation in the 1990s, the goal, claimed the sources, was within reach now.

Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral Nirmal Verma said last year that once commissioned, INS Arihant would be deployed on ‘deterrent (combat) patrol.'

Although it would be home-ported in Visakhapatnam, the submarine, armed with nuclear-tipped K-15 or B-5 ballistic missiles and having a range of about 750 km, would offer effective deterrence against Pakistan, the sources pointed out. The missiles are developed under the Sagarika programme.

Displacing about 6,000 tonnes, the 112 metre-long Arihant-class of boomer submarines are powered by indigenously-built 80-MW nuclear power plants.

Each submarine is said to store 12 K-15 missiles besides torpedoes and torpedo-launched cruise missiles.

OBSOLETE FLEET

While the ATV project is on track, the Navy finds its back against the wall having to operate a flagging fleet of Russian Kilo-class and German HDW conventional diesel-electric submarines, 14 in all, 75 per cent of which are over the hill.

“The decline in the operational availability of submarines [as low as 40 per cent] has seriously compromised the force's vital sea denial capability. The absence of Air Independent Propulsion, which obviates the need for conventional submarines to surface frequently for recharging their batteries thereby enhancing their endurance is another debilitating factor,” said the sources.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/article2798864.ece

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not asking you to not criticize them for the delays? But you don't want me to retort on this either. That will consume the thread.

But if you even get a chance to talk with eminent DRDO, ISRO scientists, much of them are pro BJP. My professor on electromagnetism left DRDO to join a private college because of dismal situation inside DRDO. But you may feel free to disagree and put forward your own postulations.

Everybody click on BJP covert operator guynextdoor2's profile. Click on 3rd link below photo. Proceed for a relaxing and troll free environment! Cheers!!!!

Back
Top Bottom