What's new

How to Sink a $3 Billion Dollar Nuclear Submarine: Leave a Hatch Open - an INS Arihant Story

alikazmi007

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I came across this interesting article published by MSN, written by Story by Peter Suciu, on Wednesday, Jan 25th, 2023, detailing how an advanced submarine almost sank by the poorly trained Indian Navy Sailors. And how the Indian Navy tried to conceal this incident at the time when it was needed the most, during the tensions between China and India, in 2017.

A Hatch Left Open
Perhaps the most embarrassing mishap in military maritime history is what happened to INS Arihant, India's first nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine when it began its deployment in 2017.

The then-brand new $2.9 billion submarine was left completely inoperative for nearly a year simply because a hatch was left open, which allowed seawater to rush in, almost sinking the boat in the process.

The nuclear submarine was the first of an expected five in class, designed and constructed as part of the Indian Navy's Advanced Technology Vessel project. The Arihant was designed with four launch tubes that could carry a dozen K-15 short-range missiles or K-4 intermediate-range nuclear missiles. While the sub's weapons and capabilities were advanced, the training of the crew certainly wasn't.

In addition, the Arihant faced a number of problems during her development and manufacture, and that included delays in its construction and notably major differences between the Russian-supplied design and the indigenous fabrication. Those were all minor of course compared to the damage that occurred from human error.

When the hatch was left open, not only did the propulsion compartments fill with seawater, but there was substantial damage to the pipes that ran through the submarine. Given how corrosive seawater can be to the various pipes, including those that carry pressurized water coolant to and from the ship's eighty-three-megawatt nuclear reactor, all had to be cut out and replaced. The six-thousand-ton INS Arihant remained out of service at the docks while the water was pumped out, and the pipes replaced. The entire process took ten months.

India had attempted to conceal the mishap, without much success. INS Arihant's absence was first noted in the Doklam border standoff with China in the summer of 2017. At the time, the Indian military only confirmed that the submarine had undergone repairs in early 2018. As naval mishaps go the Arihant may have been among the more embarrassing but at least it didn't result in the loss of life.

Despite a rough start, the submarine has reportedly had a largely successful service history.

I came across this interesting article published by MSN, written by Story by Peter Suciu, on Wednesday, Jan 25th, 2023, detailing how an advanced submarine almost sank by the poorly trained Indian Navy Sailors. And how the Indian Navy tried to conceal this incident at the time when it was needed the most, during the tensions between China and India, in 2017.

A Hatch Left Open
Perhaps the most embarrassing mishap in military maritime history is what happened to INS Arihant, India's first nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine when it began its deployment in 2017.

The then-brand new $2.9 billion submarine was left completely inoperative for nearly a year simply because a hatch was left open, which allowed seawater to rush in, almost sinking the boat in the process.

The nuclear submarine was the first of an expected five in class, designed and constructed as part of the Indian Navy's Advanced Technology Vessel project. The Arihant was designed with four launch tubes that could carry a dozen K-15 short-range missiles or K-4 intermediate-range nuclear missiles. While the sub's weapons and capabilities were advanced, the training of the crew certainly wasn't.

In addition, the Arihant faced a number of problems during her development and manufacture, and that included delays in its construction and notably major differences between the Russian-supplied design and the indigenous fabrication. Those were all minor of course compared to the damage that occurred from human error.

When the hatch was left open, not only did the propulsion compartments fill with seawater, but there was substantial damage to the pipes that ran through the submarine. Given how corrosive seawater can be to the various pipes, including those that carry pressurized water coolant to and from the ship's eighty-three-megawatt nuclear reactor, all had to be cut out and replaced. The six-thousand-ton INS Arihant remained out of service at the docks while the water was pumped out, and the pipes replaced. The entire process took ten months.

India had attempted to conceal the mishap, without much success. INS Arihant's absence was first noted in the Doklam border standoff with China in the summer of 2017. At the time, the Indian military only confirmed that the submarine had undergone repairs in early 2018. As naval mishaps go the Arihant may have been among the more embarrassing but at least it didn't result in the loss of life.

Despite a rough start, the submarine has reportedly had a largely successful service history.

Incredible Indians.
:rofl:"Perhaps the most embarrassing mishap in military maritime history is what happened to INS Arihant, India's first nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine when it began its deployment in 2017.":rofl:

It was not 'hatch left open', I believe during a rapid dive exercise the crew couldn't close the hatch in time. Since this is the first sub of it's type, I think some design changes need to be made to ensure that in rapid descent situations they can close quickly.

It was not 'left inoperative' for a year. The initial assessment was that no damage had come. But then they didn't want to risk anything since it was the first nuke sub we were testing so some components had to be replaced to avoid the chance of sea water damage.

A hint to people with common sense- if something is too sensational (especially coming from British press which seems to have reported it first, take it with a pinch of salt. )

This has been debunked several times. If you think submarine can be flooded by a simple thing as opening a hatch then you need to be sitting on Facebook and not defence forums.

One such debunking article is here

a good piece of advice on "confirmation bias", indeed. Indian people seem to live and breathe this mantra, believe in the stories you want to believe, and ignore the validity and fidelity of anything else that casts a shadow on your hyper-nationalism.

This has been debunked several times. If you think submarine can be flooded by a simple thing as opening a hatch then you need to be sitting on Facebook and not defence forums.

One such debunking article is here

So our crew flooded our nuclear submarine with a hatch that didn't exist
:p::p::D

“The submarine has no hatches there. The Arihant is based on Russian double hull design with a sealed nuclear reactor section. Except for the latest French nuclear submarines that have a hatch above the reactor for quicker refuelling, no other country with nuclear submarines have such a system.
Although the Arihant’s core is not designed to operate for the submarine’s lifetime and will need refuelling, it does not have a hatch. To refuel, the hull will have to be cut open and welded back…“

a good piece of advice on "confirmation bias", indeed. Indian people seem to live and breathe this mantra, believe in the stories you want to believe, and ignore the validity and fidelity of anything else that casts a shadow on your hyper-nationalism.

'confirmation bias' - a country that is so much more immensely capable than you that it actually BUILDS nuke subs but oh 'we are so much better because they actually left a hatch open'

What are you? 5 years old?

It was not 'hatch left open', I believe during a rapid dive exercise the crew couldn't close the hatch in time. Since this is the first sub of it's type, I think some design changes need to be made to ensure that in rapid descent situations they can close quickly.

It was not 'left inoperative' for a year. The initial assessment was that no damage had come. But then they didn't want to risk anything since it was the first nuke sub we were testing so some components had to be replaced to avoid the chance of sea water damage.

A hint to people with common sense- if something is too sensational (especially coming from British press which seems to have reported it first, take it with a pinch of salt. )
Careless nuke Submarining, careless nuke missile firing , can the Indians be trusted with Nukes? Seems like Indians have a very unprofessional and incompetent nuke armed forces, which are danger to themselves and those around.

Last edited:
Careless nuke Submarining, careless nuke missile firing , can the Indians be trusted with Nukes seems like Indians have a very unprofessional and incompetent nuke armed forces, which are danger to themselves and those around.

I strongly recommend you take that line with the UN.

“The submarine has no hatches there. The Arihant is based on Russian double hull design with a sealed nuclear reactor section. Except for the latest French nuclear submarines that have a hatch above the reactor for quicker refuelling, no other country with nuclear submarines have such a system.
Although the Arihant’s core is not designed to operate for the submarine’s lifetime and will need refuelling, it does not have a hatch. To refuel, the hull will have to be cut open and welded back…“

'confirmation bias' - a country that is so much more immensely capable than you that it actually BUILDS nuke subs but oh 'we are so much better because they actually left a hatch open'

homie, don't take it personally, I didn't neglect to close the hatch, I'm merely enjoying the fact with the rest of the world. your boys didn't close the thing right, gave everyone a nice rinse, and semi-successfully got rid of the awful curry stench and then dried out the sub over the line like the wet clothes in beautiful Indian summer! You guys are winners in my book.
Funny-Memes-44.jpg

homie, don't take it personally, I didn't neglect to close the hatch, I'm merely enjoying the fact with the rest of the world. your boys didn't close the thing right, gave everyone a nice rinse, and semi-successfully got rid of the awful curry stench and then dried out the sub over the line like the wet clothes in beautiful Indian summer! You guys are winners in my book.

Funny-Memes-44.jpg

Funny-Memes-44.jpg

Yes, we built a nuclear submarine, operated Akulas for 20 years..... and we didn't put an 'open hatch alarm'. On my my.

People who believe that putting cow dung on houses and on one’s bodies will protect against a nuclear attack will believe everything. Yes there was a aft hatch and it was left open. Says a lot about the Arihants design and competence of it’s users.

Last edited:

A Hatch Left Open

Here is a video version of this story.

Back
Top Bottom