What's new

N-LCA out of the hangar

Trust me Parashuram ...even i am thinking the same --- There is no visibility at the moment....

Maybe future naval aircraft is fall back plan in case NLCA doesnt satisfy all the needs -- but i dont think this is the case.....

My thought is, we will have Mig-29K and Tejas for Gorshkov and IAC-1 while new stealth fighter for IAC-2.

My thought is, we will have Mig-29K and Tejas for Gorshkov and IAC-1 while new stealth fighter for IAC-2.

Doesnt make sense when IAC1 and IAC2 will be inducted within short time gap amongst them (2-3 yrs).Why maintain two types of aircrafts for two IAC's ?

This would also mean that if a IAC is in harbour then all the planes for that IAC will be stationed alongside it --- i dont think this is the option but then who knows.

Only possible reason i can see is replacement of maritime jag squadron.

First of all I mis-quoted the reply. lol I was replying to Parashuram1! BTW....

Doesnt make sense when IAC1 and IAC2 will be inducted within short time gap amongst them (2-3 yrs).Why maintain two types of aircrafts for two IAC's ?

May be because IAC1 and IAC-2 are different. One has ski-jump and another has catapult.

This would also mean that if a IAC is in harbour then all the planes for that IAC will be stationed alongside it --- i dont think this is the option but then who knows.
No because we will have similar types of carriers like IAC-1 and Gorshkov are same while IAC-2 and IAC-3 will be of same type.

Anyway IN have already chosen the path of having three different kind of fighters and if Mig-29K get selected again than two. Though its always desirable to have mainly one or two types of fighters not three.
Jaguars will most probably retire with Viraat when IAC-1 get inducted.

Naval version of LCA rolled out​

Special Correspondent

2010070760372201.jpg

milestone-Defence MInister A.K. Antony and Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Nirmal Verma at the roll-out function of the LCA trainer aircraft (Navy) at the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited in Bangalore on Tuesday

BANGALORE: India's first indigenous Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), designed specifically for the Navy, rolled out from the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) facility here on Tuesday.

Defence Minister A.K. Antony described the milestone as “memorable” and urged the project team to conduct the first flight of NP1, the LCA trainer aircraft (Navy), by the year-end.

By 2015, the aircraft will be deployed aboard the indigenous aircraft carrier that is being built at the Cochin Shipyard. The LCA has to undergo systems integration tests, ground runs, taxi trials and eventually flights, before it will be ready for deployment, officials said.

The aircraft, developed under the auspices of the Naval Programme of the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), will fly with a U.S.-made engine. It has been designed to make ‘ski jump' take-off and arrested landings aboard an aircraft carrier. A source in the ADA said the aircraft required “a new design” that would “knock out 300-400 kg from the next prototype.”

The NP2, the aircraft being specially designed for the Navy, is expected to fly for the first time in 2011, sources said.

HAL Chairman Ashok Nayak said the team has “taken longer [time] than planned earlier because of several technical challenges, important of them being “designing an integrated fuel tank and bigger landing gear.”

He sought “early go-ahead” from the government for the next prototype, pointing out that the lead time for this would be three years.

Mr. Antony said the Shore Based Test Facility at the naval air base in Goa was being used to simulate take-offs and arrested landings aboard carriers. It would also train pilots of the LCA's naval version. “It is already being used for training pilots aboard MiG-29K fighter jets, bought from Russia, which are to be deployed aboard aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov.”

Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Nirmal Verma said the LCA induction would give the Navy a “multidimensional force capability.”

R.K. Singh, Secretary, Defence Production, said the HAL would need to create separate production lines to keep pace with the defence requirements. The HAL would have a role to play in the development of the fifth generation fighter aircraft and the medium combat aircraft, a multirole stealth fighter.

Addressing journalists later, Mr. Antony said: “A chain of 46 radars for coastal surveillance will be ready soon.” Referring to Kashmir, he said: “The situation is a matter of concern, but not grim.” “Tourist arrivals in the valley are much higher than last year.”

Asked whether the armed forces would play a more active role in fighting Maoists, Mr. Antony said: “Using the Army for law and order is always the last resort.” However, the Army would provide security personnel fighting the Maoists with logistics support and training.

http://www.hindu.com/2010/07/07/stories/2010070760372200.htm

The Indian Air Force (IAF) has won the approval to buy 20 additional Tejas fighter jets, the home-grown light combat aircraft to be built by military plane maker Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL), defence minister A.K. Antony said on Tuesday.

The defence acquisition council has cleared the plan, he said. So far, IAF has ordered 28 Tejas aircraft, currently under development at the Aeronautical development Agency (ADA), the design agency for the aircraft.

Second squadron (20nos) of ‘Tejas’ fighter jet ordered by IAF

Second squadron (20nos) of ‘Tejas’ fighter jet ordered by IAF
BY EDITOR AT 7 JULY, 2010, 1:34 AM

BY: livemint

The Indian Air Force (IAF) has won the approval to buy 20 additional Tejas fighter jets, the home-grown light combat aircraft to be built by military plane maker Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL), defence minister A.K. Antony said on Tuesday.

The defence acquisition council has cleared the plan, he said. So far, IAF has ordered 28 Tejas aircraft, currently under development at the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), the design agency for the aircraft.

The additional order would give a boost to the indigenous plane project, which has faced an uncertain future due to delays in its development and certification.

“Now, LCA (light combat aircraft) is a reality,” said Antony, who recalled that he had received suggestions when he took over as defence minister that the Tejas, the Arjun battle tank and the Akash missile programmes be scrapped. “Despite all those prophecies of doom, all (three projects) are becoming a reality.”

The Tejas was conceived in the 1980s to replace the ageing fleet of Russian MiG-21 planes.

The project got the government’s nod in 1990, a prototype was rolled out in the middle of that decade, and the first Tejas took to the skies in 2001.

Since then, 12 Tejas planes have flown 1,400 flights on test missions. The aircraft is expected to get initial operational clearance, or the certification for minimum standards set by the IAF, by December.

A two-seat naval version of the plane, which was rolled out on Tuesday by the minister, will take to the skies around October, said P.S. Subramanyam, programme director at ADA.

“The learning has been enormous. We have been able to compress time,” he said.

The two-seat naval trainer has been redesigned to take off and land on an aircraft carrier—needing about one-tenth of the 800-900m on a regular runway.

The navy is setting up a shore-based test facility, which will be similar to the deck of the INS Vikramaditya, the aircraft carrier Russia is building for India.

good news chopper:cheers:

Yes Dash -- Same thing is eating me also. Where will we utilize NLCA ? Also i heard this long time back that NLCA cannot use the ski jump to take off due to low thrust-- this means that Vikramaditya and IAC1 is rulled out or atleast till they can build enough thrust. I hope this is not correct. This leaves IAC2 which is believed to CATOBAR operations - this can be used to NLCA----

I dont have any clue where we will NMRCA -- i dont know what NAVY is planning or it will use this.

A very long-term planning.

Gorshkov/vikramaditya---Mig29K (made for each other)---In sight
IAC1----NLCA (light for light)---over the horizon.
IAC 2---NMRCA (Expanding the reach)---Drawing board.
IAC3----Stealth MCA, others (futuristic future)---Ambitions

Hi,

Will it be possible to add arrester hook to Virat? What I mean is Virat might serve us till 2020 but I do not think its aircrafts can(Sea harriers). So will it be possible to use Tejas on Virat?

I see that 226M of length, 49m of beam ( should be sufficient I guess)

Tx
Sri

dont know why there is no much news about IAC

A very long-term planning.

Gorshkov/vikramaditya---Mig29K (made for each other)---In sight
IAC1----NLCA (light for light)---over the horizon.
IAC 2---NMRCA (Expanding the reach)---Drawing board.
IAC3----Stealth MCA, others (futuristic future)---Ambitions

Looks great -- but just hope that this shouldnt turn out to be a bite more than we can chew case ---- the logistics of so many different types of AC is mind boggling --

that blu water navy shots its third most ranked chief shot dead in trainning

Back
Top Bottom