What's new

My country won’t stand up against rape, but I have to stand up for the national anthem?

PPL in India gets beaten up to death for far lesser crimes than rape ,infact in Delhi supposedly rape capital ppl gets beaten up in Metro train for entering a compartment reserved for ladies,gets beaten up in markets for whistling .Does those facts give author a justification for standing up to national anthem ? because she relates them.

At once she is terming the anger amongst the ppl of the theater as mob justice ,hyperpatrotism ,death to humanity etc etc in other she is actually interested in lack of mob anger in an incident related to her knowing perfectly well that in many cases it results to death in north India,it had been a good article had she mentioned the role of govt,law n order in both situations.

regarding the gulf country, i have requested the change of flag to the mods way back at dec 2014. but mods are bz doing some more urgent stuff.
anyways, we appreciate ur a$$ for doing all the talking.
Who is the "we"? Are you queen victoria incognito ?Anyway till your flags are changed by the mods please keep in mind that if you have a UAE flag as your location, people not related to you might consider that you live in UAE....so don't jump around like a headless grasshopper with your name calling.

Isn't express tribune like the Saamna of Pakistan

It's the same as a Sanghi posting an article from Shiv Sena Mouth piece stating why the family was not put in jail

what stupid mentality this writer displays. so stupid i was 1st thinking this is joke column then i realize its not. people showing disrespect 2 country didnt say they protesting against rape or anything. india made rape a crime so how can she say country dont stand up 2 rape. stupid person. if a pakistani write such shit im hopeful that pakistanis will drag her by her hair and kick some sense in her head :lol:

and where where do I live ?? before some preposterous presumption, try to think with ur brain and not ur a$$.

ya I agree, in my country also, we don't need four buggers to confirm rape. regarding policing, yeah, its very poor in rural areas. but in urban areas, its not that bad. what I blame is upon the "tolerance" of our nation towards rape. it seems we have surrendered ourselves to fate. "yeh sab to chalta rahega yaar" attitude is what killing us, as a civilization, right now.
moreover, there is a huge difference in the way ppl react to "different" rapes. nirbhaya case got the maximum attention, but nobody gives a shyte about all the rapes happening across india. just few weeks after nirbhaya, two cousins were gangraped and hanged by the tree in some lawless casteist village in UP, what happened ?? and "these" rapes are happening as u read my post.
situation is not that good my dear fren.

Ok I didn't see this second part of y our response, where you actually talk like a human being. My take on this is that rape has always happened but the rapist was protected because in a patriarchal society the shame fell on the victim not the perpetrator. Society has changed a lot recently and women are coming out in the open unlike earlier times. Most rape occurs by people known to the victim so policing won't really help. Also, as an aside rape statistics per capita in India is no higher than other societies at a similar stage of development. Google it. Of course that is no reason to be satisfied but just saying a lot of the narrative is exaggerated.

Mention Nirbhaya and watch the intellectual class take the whole nation on a guilt trip.

Government introduced strict laws against dowry harassment and rape, what happened? Women themselves started abusing those laws to settle their own personal animosity and turned these laws into money making enterprises for themselves. They abused the law so much that court has to say that it's "LEGAL TERRORISM"

Misuse of dowry provisions is legal terrorism: Court - The Times of India
53.2 per cent rape cases filed between April 2013-July 2014 false, says DCW : Delhi, News - India Today

People don't talk about harassment of men because a story of "ABLA NARI" sells much better, who wants to hear about a family's story who's only son set himself on fire in front of a police station because his wife mentally tortured him with legal options available at her disposal. Or a father who couldn't take harassment from his daughter in law and shot himself.

As far as this National Anthem debate is concerned, if any Indian who can't stand up for our national anthem dedicated to the martyrs of 26/11 around its anniversary gets no sympathy from me. Yes its symbolic but that's the least you could do to remember all those who lost their lives during that attack and people who gave up their lives to protect others, especially when the terrorists belonged to your OWN religion.

Mention Nirbhaya and watch the intellectual class take the whole nation on a guilt trip.

Government introduced strict laws against dowry harassment and rape, what happened? Women themselves started abusing those laws to settle their own personal animosity and turned these laws into money making enterprises for themselves. They abused the law so much that court has to say that it's "LEGAL TERRORISM"

Misuse of dowry provisions is legal terrorism: Court - The Times of India
53.2 per cent rape cases filed between April 2013-July 2014 false, says DCW : Delhi, News - India Today

People don't talk about harassment of men because a story of "ABLA NARI" sells much better, who wants to hear about a family's story who's only son set himself on fire in front of a police station because his wife mentally tortured him with legal options available at her disposal. Or a father who couldn't take harassment from his daughter in law and shot himself.

As far as this National Anthem debate is concerned, if any Indian who can't stand up for our national anthem dedicated to the martyrs of 26/11 around its anniversary gets no sympathy from me. Yes its symbolic but that's the least you could do to remember all those who lost their lives during that attack and people who gave up their lives to protect others, especially when the terrorists belonged to your OWN religion.

bum, terrorism got no religion. if muslim indian didnt stand up 2 national anthem was it a muslim or an indian who didnt stand up 2 national anthem ?

bum, terrorism got no religion. if muslim indian didnt stand up 2 national anthem was it a muslim or an indian who didnt stand up 2 national anthem ?

Nayansukh read it again, I said Terrorists not terrorism (although I don't agree with you on terrorism has no religion theory but lets agree to disagree here).

Good question

Actually there have been several cases of non Muslims who did not stand up for the national anthem and they got an earful. One was an ethnic Indian with an Australian passport who was with his girlfriend. I believe some aunty was so incensed she slapped him around the back of the head with a rolled up newspaper! :sarcastic: Another case was of some movie star in the south, people booed her until she had to stand up. Both came in the news because one was funny and the other involved a famous person.

This particular item is being made much off because it feeds into the Congressi intolerance debate (used to launch our crown prince Rahul into national politics) because this time the family happened to be Muslim, had they been anything else, it would have never been in newsprint.

30666-muslimfamily-1449055586-293-640x480.jpg

Family members try to defend themselves as people accuse them for disrespecting the Indian national anthem. PHOTO: TIMES OF INDIA

“Nationalism is a great danger. It is the particular thing which for years has been at the bottom of India’s troubles. It is my conviction that my countrymen will truly gain their India by fighting against the education which teaches them that a country is greater than the ideals of humanity.” – Rabindranath Tagore

On Monday, at a movie hall in Mumbai, a family was humiliated, threatened, told they would be slapped and were forced to leave the hall amidst applause, because they did not stand up during the national anthem.

This was not a victory for patriotism but a defeat for humanity. If something like that had happened to me, I would lose whatever love I had for my countrymen forever. I would lose whatever patriotism I had flowing through my veins.

The arguments, justifying the actions of the moviegoers who bullied the family, range from emotional outbursts that call for allegiance towards the nation and the national anthem, to talking about our soldiers who risk their lives for their motherland.

Some arguments cite laws in monarchies and dictatorships, like Thailand, where in movie halls a song praising the king is broadcasted before every show and everyone has to stand to show respect. One can be jailed for failing to do so.

The proponents of these arguments forget that we are a democracy.

Some Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) are sniffling about how emotional they are regarding the national anthem. They’re saying their hearts bleed when the anthem plays but their “patriotism” dies when greener pastures (read dollars) call out to them.

But no, you can’t point that out, because not standing up for the national anthem is unpatriotic. Leaving your motherland for better opportunities and waiting with bated breaths for foreign citizenship is fine. I wonder what happens to their bleedings hearts when on paper they revoke all rights and sign away their allegiance to their motherland.

If someone, however, wants to leave the motherland in fear of this growing intolerance, then the unpatriotic flag is waved again.

Patriotism, as a trait, is pretty confusing.

When I was a student, I remember I was coming back from college in a Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) bus and a man came and stood beside me, and deliberately kept pushing against me. When he tried to feel me up, I shouted, but not one person, not even one, offered me a seat or roughed up that man or even asked him to get off the bus. My students who travel by public transport tell me it’s still the same, and that no one bats an eyelid. How many of them stopped for Nirbhaya when she was bleeding to death?

They do not stand up for fellow citizens yet they bleed for the national anthem. Indian people are one of the worst tax defaulters in the world. They cheat and steal from their country, yet their heart bleeds for the national anthem.

How often have you seen a packet of chips being thrown out of an SUV? They litter, they spit and urinate on the streets, yet their heart bleeds for the national anthem.

One of my students once said to me,

“Ma’am wouldn’t this country be a much better place if people felt the same outrage for rape?”

My point being that there are better ways of showing your patriotism, than standing up for the national anthem or roughing someone up who doesn’t.

What reasons did the Muslim family have for not standing up at the Mumbai theatre on Monday?

Maybe they were just being lazy, maybe they didn’t want to stand with coke and popcorn in hand.

Does that mean they are any less patriotic than the hyperventilating zealots?

Maybe they don’t have a sense of belonging and they are not patriotic. I can think of many people who are not.

I can think of people in the Armed Forces Special Powers Acts (AFSPA) imposed regions who want to have nothing to do with this country.

I can think of that Dalit family which was paraded around naked. I can think of the Dalit children who are made to wash toilets or the Dalit women who are raped in villages and find no justice, or Muhammad Akhlaq’s son for that matter, or the children of the victims of Muzaffarnagar or Gujarat riots.

Will those people want to stand up for the national anthem? I love my national anthem, but that is because this country has treated me well.

I am what I am, because of the public institutions I studied in, because of the democratic space I grew up in, because of the legal system and judiciary that protected me, because of the beautiful constitution that gave me my rights.

But I can understand why some people might not feel the same way, the people who were kept out of this privilege, and were excluded from the development, the education system and the rights. And if they have no feeling of belonging for whatever reason, justified or not, can patriotism be forced down their throat?

Is it okay to resort to violence, verbal or otherwise?

Will that make him/her patriotic?

Another important question we must engage with is: Would it be such a big deal had the family not been Muslim?

Isn’t it this whole thing about asking members of certain communities to prove their patriotism?

But why does anyone have to prove it? Why is patriotism becoming a matter of authority, jingoism and rituals?

Why do we have to make a public display of it? Patriotism cannot be inspired with a stick or a threat.

Do you think the family which was humiliated left the theatre hall feeling more patriotic?

Obviously not.

Nationalism is something that comes from within. And it will come automatically when all citizens are treated equally, when there is love, harmony, and an effort to reduce poverty, starvation, gender violence, caste violence, and violence in border states.

When everyone is included in the development, everyone will have the feeling of belonging.

The law was broken on Monday in that Mumbai movie hall. Ask yourselves who was at fault – was it the law-abiding Muslim family who sat peacefully (there is no law that says it is a punishable offence to not stand up during the national anthem in a movie hall) or the people who threatened them and forced them to leave?

Forget about laws, what does your morality tell you? Is patriotism bigger than the ideals of humanity?

This post originally appeared on DailyOhere.

My country won’t stand up against rape, but I have to stand up for the national anthem? – The Express Tribune Blog
@nair @Khafee @GURU DUTT @MilSpec @SarthakGanguly @AUSTERLITZ @Water Car Engineer @third eye

I have not read the article & am placing my remarks based on the title alone.

I choose not to read it .

Where is the comparison between rape & national anthem !!

Its like saying the road in front of my home has potholes so I wont pay road tax .

Silly in the extreme.

If people are displeased with the country/government, they have every right to burn the flag and disrespect the national anthem; but this doen't apply to a third-world country like India, with people having the dirty mindset that they have here, its best to stay safe and keep your expressions/views to yourself.

Even educated people in both camps, the 'secular' and 'communal' are so brainless, its become like a religion.

ur approval is not required sir. i know very well what i do.
Nobody needs anybody's approval for doing anything here. I believe you are confusing the very reason and purpose of a discussion forum.
In a debate or discussion, argument is supported with reasoning. Reasoning is supported with facts. Until and unless you are able to connect those dots, please refrain from making assertions in general and quoting me in particular, makes sense ?

You hypocrite , retard m***f*** . what is your problem if you stand just for 48 seconds along with the people of your country in respect of your country?? Have you come from mars who has unique thought proccess? And you retard India is the first country which bring revolution against rape crimes.

Nobody needs anybody's approval for doing anything here. I believe you are confusing the very reason and purpose of a discussion forum.
In a debate or discussion, argument is supported with reasoning. Reasoning is supported with facts. Until and unless you are able to connect those dots, please refrain from making assertions in general and quoting me in particular, makes sense ?
i apologise for hurting ur sentiments sir.
facts are with both the sides, although its the relevance of those facts which are questioned by both the sides, not necessarily with an open mind.
again, i m sorry i offended you.
have a good day.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom